Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcel171281
marcel171281

Re: Red Bull RB18

etusch wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 10:32
chrstphrln wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 11:34
I'm curious to see how long the development at RB will continue at this pace.
I suspect towards the end of the season there will be a lot of discussion about the budget cap and penalties.
they build a finance team for that. If the f team didn't plan whole season spendings for every department of the racing team then that means they are very unaffective and useless. I think Redbull is one of the best from operational aspect and will do it in the budget.
Exaclty this. The problem isn't spending money for upgrade everyone sees. The problem is spending money on things we don't see. The upgrades that didn't work in CFD or worse, the windtunnel. That is time (and money) wasted.

Or the need of producing more replacement parts, because of crashes, or (and people seem to forget this) because upgrades didn't work. The last because the original parts are running out of mileage and need to be replaced, preferably with upgrades, but if they don't work, teams are forced to produce more pre-update parts. That is time, resources and money spend that was planed for upgrades that should have worked.

That RB bring a lot of upgrades to the track doesn't mean they're spending more money.

Teams that are more likely to run into budget cap trouble are team that have trouble to understand their own design. They don't know in with direction to go and have to developed (at least in CFD) in multiple directions to see what works and what doesn't. That will always cost more time and money. (Mercedes? AM?)

etusch

marcel171281 wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 11:07
etusch wrote:
chrstphrln wrote:
10 Jun 2022, 11:34
I'm curious to see how long the development at RB will continue at this pace.
I suspect towards the end of the season there will be a lot of discussion about the budget cap and penalties.
they build a finance team for that. If the f team didn't plan whole season spendings for every department of the racing team then that means they are very unaffective and useless. I think Redbull is one of the best from operational aspect and will do it in the budget.
Exaclty this. The problem isn't spending money for upgrade everyone sees. The problem is spending money on things we don't see. The upgrades that didn't work in CFD or worse, the windtunnel. That is time (and money) wasted.

Or the need of producing more replacement parts, because of crashes, or (and people seem to forget this) because upgrades didn't work. The last because the original parts are running out of mileage and need to be replaced, preferably with upgrades, but if they don't work, teams are forced to produce more pre-update parts. That is time, resources and money spend that was planed for upgrades that should have worked.

That RB bring a lot of upgrades to the track doesn't mean they're spending more money.

Teams that are more likely to run into budget cap trouble are team that have trouble to understand their own design. They don't know in with direction to go and have to developed (at least in CFD) in multiple directions to see what works and what doesn't. That will always cost more time and money. (Mercedes? AM?)
I don't understand why people assume if you didn't bring update you didn't spent money. Is fia count it only if it installed the car ?

GrrG

Red Bull copies Ferrari with the keel in the Diffuser!

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10320138/

Last edited by GrrG on 11 Jun 2022, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

TimW
TimW

GrrG wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 12:18
Red Bull copies Ferrari with the keel in the extractor!
Diffuser (Google translates whatever the Italian word is with extractor)

GrrG

chrisc90

Interesting wiring runs arent as short as possible. I mean if they shortened every wire between sensor and plug they could probably save a few grams of weight in the wiring. But im sure even things like this will be very finely calculated.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Floor update on the RB18, extensive amount of changes:

Via: NicolasF1i

diffuser

etusch wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 12:12
marcel171281 wrote:
etusch wrote:

I don't understand why people assume if you didn't bring update you didn't spent money. Is fia count it only if it installed the car ?
People think that Ferrari, RBR and Merc are gonna run into Budget problems because each teams said they will and want more budget. Not sure how you argue with that.

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 17:40
etusch wrote:
marcel171281 wrote:

People think that Ferrari, RBR and Merc are gonna run into Budget problems because each teams said they will and want more budget. Not sure how you argue with that.
The last 30% of the season could definitely see teams that haven't brought any real updates so far make huge leaps, as the leaders will have to eventually stop bringing new parts. Teams like HAAS seem to be following the old RBR model of skipping tests to give more tunnel time, but with the entire early season. Their first big update could legitimately be 1-2s faster with so much time.

I'm excited to see how the same length of leash makes different dogs behave.

Vanja #66

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 16:16
Floor update on the RB18, extensive amount of changes:

https://i.imgur.com/HTo0gn7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Css5K98.jpg

Via: NicolasF1i
Raising floor leading edge is a slight drag penalty, but based on cornering performance it seems RB also pumped some floor downforce by pumping more air under the floor. Removing upper beam wing was surely a drag offset for redesigned floor. Nice track-specific touch by RB, really good and cost-efficient use of parts available.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

codetower

Zynerji wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 19:19
diffuser wrote:
etusch wrote:

The last 30% of the season could definitely see teams that haven't brought any real updates so far make huge leaps, as the leaders will have to eventually stop bringing new parts. Teams like HAAS seem to be following the old RBR model of skipping tests to give more tunnel time, but with the entire early season. Their first big update could legitimately be 1-2s faster with so much time.

Is there just a monetary penalty for going over the budget cap? If so, I really don't see the big budget teams like FER/RB/MERC really being too worried. They can can take a financial hit and just pay the cost to go over.

etusch

codetower wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 19:27
Zynerji wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Is there just a monetary penalty for going over the budget cap? If so, I really don't see the big budget teams like FER/RB/MERC really being too worried. They can can take a financial hit and just pay the cost to go over.
what you said is; there is not budget cap

etusch

diffuser wrote:
etusch wrote:
marcel171281 wrote:

What you understand is not what I meant but I can suspect about what you daid too. maybe it is just for forcing fia to get more budget

Zynerji

etusch wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 20:49
codetower wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

They should remove 1 constructor point for every $1k of overspend.

That would solve 99.9%.

codetower

etusch wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 20:49
codetower wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

No, I was curious what the penalties are for going over. The unofficial docs I’ve seen state a financial penalty for going over 5%, then possible reprimands, maybe points taken off (constructors, drivers), but I am curious what the penalties are.