2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DChemTech
DChemTech

Re: 2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

Spoutnik wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:31
DChemTech wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:17
Spoutnik wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:02

The issue is that we heard that Merc dominance has to stop. But it was only... to be replaced by Red Bull. It's useless for everyone especially because there will never be any rivalry between Verstappen and Perez, lets be honest.

F1 has to make the field closer (2010, 2012..) to make these technical regulation works.
Ferrari is in the mix just fine - RB is not the sole dominant team.
Behind that, there is gap, sure. But also there, compared to the Merc domination years, not excessive - and it's the first year of the new ruleset. Plenty of opportunity for things to converge...
Ferrari is not really in the mix they will not win the championship even if Leclerc is mighty on qualy and put some dominant performance like in Spain. It's less closer to me than in 2018 against Merc.

It can converge, but if there's only one team who really solved porpoising this advantage might last like the PU advantage of Merc from 2014.
I will add that the new regulation in 2025 will not help surely as they are to soon to allow a real convergence.
The reason Ferrari is not scoring points lately is due to reliability (which was plaguing RB in the first races too, and not uncommon during new reg periods), not due to a lack of pace in itself. And comparing the current season to 2018, well, yeah, 2018 was not a very big regulation overhaul - things were in the convergence process for some 4 years by then.

Big Tea

Mogster wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:45
Mezger wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:36

If a solution has to be found then all teams will need to be consulted and a majority vote agreed upon.
Wouldn’t they all have to agree? I thought the votes weren’t majority based.

Would Ferrari have their veto?
I assume that would be due to what was decided. For instance, if F1 decide to add an extra inch of sidewall Hight to the tyre, they could implement it as a safety fix. Possibly rising minimum ride height too, but any mechanical difference on the car I think they would need at a minimum agreement of the majority of teams, possibly all teams if it was an instant change.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ryar

Checo is doing a Bottas. In his desperation, he is chasing one lap pace over race pace and is becoming a sitting duck in races. Hopefully the hype about him being a championship contender should be done with. I doubt if he would have even got a podium if both Ferraris continued.
Hakuna Matata!

F1doc
F1doc

Ryar wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:50
Checo is doing a Bottas. In his desperation, he is chasing one lap pace over race pace and is becoming a sitting duck in races. Hopefully the hype about him being a championship contender should be done with. I doubt if he would have even got a podium if both Ferraris continued.
In Sainz's current form??? I think the podium was nailed on provided no incidents with the barriers.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

DChemTech wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:48
Spoutnik wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:17

Ferrari is in the mix just fine - RB is not the sole dominant team.
Behind that, there is gap, sure. But also there, compared to the Merc domination years, not excessive - and it's the first year of the new ruleset. Plenty of opportunity for things to converge...
Ferrari is not really in the mix they will not win the championship even if Leclerc is mighty on qualy and put some dominant performance like in Spain. It's less closer to me than in 2018 against Merc.

It can converge, but if there's only one team who really solved porpoising this advantage might last like the PU advantage of Merc from 2014.
I will add that the new regulation in 2025 will not help surely as they are to soon to allow a real convergence.
The reason Ferrari is not scoring points lately is due to reliability (which was plaguing RB in the first races too, and not uncommon during new reg periods), not due to a lack of pace in itself. And comparing the current season to 2018, well, yeah, 2018 was not a very big regulation overhaul - things were in the convergence process for some 4 years by then.
It's also due to strategy (Monaco) and sub optimal setup (why such a big wing for Jeddah ? These points will count at the end of the year). Leclerc might have the best raw pace but it will not be enough alone. There's no confidence in this Ferrari team unfortunatly, can't imagine them equal on point with Max with very tense last four races like last year really.

dialtone
dialtone

Spoutnik wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

It's also due to strategy (Monaco) and sub optimal setup (why such a big wing for Jeddah ? These points will count at the end of the year). Leclerc might have the best raw pace but it will not be enough alone. There's no confidence in this Ferrari team unfortunatly, can't imagine them equal on point with Max with very tense last four races like last year really.
They were winning Jeddah perfectly fine without the SC...

Mezger
Mezger

Mogster wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:45
Mezger wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:36

If a solution has to be found then all teams will need to be consulted and a majority vote agreed upon.
Wouldn’t they all have to agree? I thought the votes weren’t majority based.

Would Ferrari have their veto?
Not sure of the exact ruling, sorry. Whatever it is , it is in place just like it was in the past regarding many technical issues, such as engine performance, etc.
Maybe change it for next year, just as DAS was allowed for the remainder of the season.
Discussions with teams will come to a conclusion. Some will win and some will lose.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

dialtone wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:55
Spoutnik wrote:
DChemTech wrote:

Yes, and that's exactly why Ferrari bottled it there. Leclerc was equal, or a bit faster on pace. Once Verstappen got into 0.9 it was over even if Leclerc was faster.

dialtone
dialtone

2022 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 10 - 12

Spoutnik wrote:
dialtone wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 16:55
Spoutnik wrote:
Yes, and that's exactly why Ferrari bottled it there. Leclerc was equal, or a bit faster on pace. Once Verstappen got into 0.9 it was over even if Leclerc was faster.
Perhaps, but the issue was more tyre temperature that Ferrari had trouble with at the restart. Plus the 1.5s lost during VSC somehow.

Tough work out there today.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

PlatinumZealot

Michelangelo wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 14:55
I still can't believe a team principal is apologizing their driver about their car and calling that very team's car a "shitbox". He is not the only driver that has driven a slow car in the history of F1. He has a teammate, driving that same car, who no one apologizes. Extremely unprofessional from Toto, no respect at all.
The GOAT doesn't deserve these sorts of cars at this point in his career. The young upstart is hungry enough to push trhough, but why would you want to put an elder statesman through that?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 17:36
Michelangelo wrote:
I still can't believe a team principal is apologizing their driver about their car and calling that very team's car a "shitbox". He is not the only driver that has driven a slow car in the history of F1. He has a teammate, driving that same car, who no one apologizes. Extremely unprofessional from Toto, no respect at all.
The GOAT doesn't deserve these sorts of cars at this point in his career. The young upstart is hungry enough to push trhough, but why would you want to put an elder statesman through that?
Yes. Nobody understand that. I would add that Lewis is 37, he's much more sensitive, even if he was as hungry as the young guns.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Michelangelo wrote:
That is such a stupid take.

PlatinumZealot

Fulcrum wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 17:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Michelangelo wrote:
That is such a stupid take.
Seriously. Why would you want to put 37 year old through repeated spine jarring situations?

When I was George's age out in the field I would do all sorts of dangerous things, and I didn't protest because I was excited about the work and i was hungry to show what I could do.

With much more experience and knowing there is a safer way, better way to do things, I refuse, I speak out and do everything in my power to make changes.

The cars don't need to drive like this to make them "easier to overtake, " because that was the objective of this rule change right? Well it's not working much, and it's only hurting the drivers' health.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Incognito
Incognito

Ryar wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 13:32
Anyone else betting on Perez? :D
Gillian wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 13:50
Perez no answer to Verstappen pace it seems.
Ryar wrote:
12 Jun 2022, 14:39
Checo was so fast in Race that he ended 20 seconds ahead of Max!
Team orders as predicted, no?

Or don't you think it's weird how Verstappen was able to close up 4 seconds in one lap? While under the VSC...and with a "No Fighting" instruction issued at the end of it.

If only McLaren had issued similar orders.