2022 gearing and gearing change joker

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala

Re: 2022 gearing and gearing change joker

After eight days being let to pass it is now a clear case of ‘cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face’ is the preferred way forward.

Juzh

hollus wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 20:03
And anyway again, going to my favorite philosophical conundrum: If a few changes by 100RPM can be worth up to two tenths, say 1 tenth in most circuits… how likely are all teams to have gotten it correct before porpoising changed their aero maps and the first PU adjustments changed the power curves?
So, let’s assume a few teams are losing a tenth to wrong gearing… when do you adjust it? If the problem is small enough maybe the optimum is to run two different gearings in two different circuit sets.
We still have 2014 williams/mercedes conundrum with their completely divergent gear ratio delivering nearly identical results on track.

Still I do not believe these ratios can play a role of more than a tenth in worst case scenario, likely half that on vast majority of tracks.

johnny comelately

Juzh wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 13:54
hollus wrote:
04 Jun 2022, 20:03
And anyway again, going to my favorite philosophical conundrum: If a few changes by 100RPM can be worth up to two tenths, say 1 tenth in most circuits… how likely are all teams to have gotten it correct before porpoising changed their aero maps and the first PU adjustments changed the power curves?
So, let’s assume a few teams are losing a tenth to wrong gearing… when do you adjust it? If the problem is small enough maybe the optimum is to run two different gearings in two different circuit sets.
We still have 2014 williams/mercedes conundrum with their completely divergent gear ratio delivering nearly identical results on track.

Still I do not believe these ratios can play a role of more than a tenth in worst case scenario, likely half that on vast majority of tracks.
Yes and here is another practical anomaly from WSBK last year:
Should a manufacturer be deemed to be too competitive by the algorithm, it can lose 250rpm, or it can gain 250rpm if its performance is lacklustre.

Kawasaki spent the winter working the gearing on its new ZX-10RR to a rev limit of 15100rpm but must start the 2021 season with a limit of 14600rpm....
“For example, here at T3 to T4, Jerez T4 to T5 is very critical to try to keep the same gear.

“But now we have to use some extra shifts per lap, and it feels – it’s not slower, because we can see it on data – but it feels because of the noise like less power.

“We have to manipulate the gearing a little bit, (here they probably went down 2 teeth or thereabouts)

hollus

“For example, here at T3 to T4, Jerez T4 to T5 is very critical to try to keep the same gear.

“But now we have to use some extra shifts per lap, and it feels – it’s not slower, because we can see it on data – but it feels because of the noise like less power.
Awesome quote. Critical but irrelevant but noticeably important. :?:
Rivals, not enemies.

organic

hollus wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 14:34

Awesome quote.

Does this analysis have merit? You seem to have experience with this sort of thing specifically

The values it pumps out with Ferrari and Mercedes-powered teams clustered

hollus

I would have to see the details, but basically what he is doing is what I did but on steroids, with hundreds of times more datapoints.
I thought of doing it that way last year, but could not find time.
Discarding outliers (noise, fist and last points before/after a shift but also wheelspin) was key, but with a huge amount of data that might take care of itself.
Anyways:
a)6th 7th and 8th should be precise, 5th maybe.
b)1st to 4th are tricky, as wheelspin dominates. With an OK outlier removal it should be OK, but cruising points really helped me with 1st 2nd and 3rd.

c) and KEY: teams can change their ratios until quali.

looking forward to seeing this AFTER the first race.
Rivals, not enemies.

organic

I'll keep an eye out for another one done by the same account

User in question has said they'll do another analysis after the first race

AR3-GP

organic wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 22:37
hollus wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 14:34

Awesome quote.

Does this analysis have merit? You seem to have experience with this sort of thing specifically

The values it pumps out with Ferrari and Mercedes-powered teams clustered
Williams, Aston, Merc - same gearbox, passes sanity check
Alfa, Haas, Ferrari -same gearbox, passes sanity check

AT, RBR - same gearbox (result does not pass sanity check).

dialtone

At least between Ferrari and RBR results are consistent with last year with Ferrari slighly shorter than RBR.

Juzh

for what it's worth, on fast laps on main straight:
hamilton shifts to 8th at ~285 kmh
perez shifts to 8th at ~295 kmh
sainz shift to 8th at ~298 kmh

very rough observations obviously, but I think it's in the ballpark. Very similar to last year with merc's short ratios.