2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, June 17 - 19

Probably via G force

The fact that they’ll set limits for FP3 instead of a universal hard limit suggests it may be a negotiated number. If so & knowing the FIA are toothless I doubt anything substantive changes.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Ryar

Hammerfist wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:39
JPower wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:08
Hammerfist wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 18:45
I'd advise the Merc antagonists to calm down. This is not only going to hurt Merc, but Ferrari as well surely. And when something hurts Ferrari it likely won't stick for too long. We do not know how much performance will be lost because of this new directive. If the Ferrari becomes a midfield car noone will be happy with that and they are going to come up with the inevitable solution for next year: Active suspension.
According to the data I've seen, there's nothing suggesting the Ferrari is much worse than any other team outside of maybe Red Bull.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.
But sainz has been one of the most vocal critics and when you watch Ferrari's onboards, it's clear theirs is really bad. Leclerc has not complained yet but this is a guy who once didn't mind driving with no seatbelt on so he obviously doesn't give a hoot about his safety. Ferrari will lose out from this. Almost guaranteed.
Carlos and Charles are running slightly different setups. Carlos has more visible bouncing than Charles and hence suffers more physical discomfort. He is doing so to handle a pointy car that is not to his liking, which Charles doesn't mind. Ferrari can control the bouncing, so they should be ok. Carlos might fall further away from Charles in this process.
Hakuna Matata!

Big Tea

So if Merc turn up tomorrow with a cured package, look out for the blood letting here.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ryar

Big Tea wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:58
So if Merc turn up tomorrow with a cured package, look out for the blood letting here.
What is the definition of "cured package"?
Hakuna Matata!

TimW

BosF1 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:40
How is the FIA going to monitor vertical oscillation to the millimeter? Somebody any idea? It seems to me like a hard task to do
I'd guess they take the vertical acceleration signal, take the power spectral density of that and limit the amount of energy allowed in certain frequency bands.

Not sure if Red Bull will be unaffected. They run very low, so will take hits from the bumps. Depending on the criteria they may also be forced to increase ride height.

wesley123

organic wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 18:25
Direct link to FIA article:

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-takes-step ... sts-safety

Excerpt:
A Technical Directive has been issued to give guidance to the teams about the measures the FIA intends to take to tackle the problem. These include:

1. Closer scrutiny of the planks and skids, both in terms of their design and the observed wear
2. The definition of a metric, based on the car’s vertical acceleration, that will give a quantitative limit for acceptable level of vertical oscillations. The exact mathematical formula for this metric is still being analysed by the FIA, and the Formula 1 teams have been invited to contribute to this process.

In addition to these short-term measures, the FIA will convene a technical meeting with the Teams in order to define measures that will reduce the propensity of cars to exhibit such phenomena in the medium term.
It's absurd that teams are going to get handicapped based on something that essentially is just a flaw in the ruleset.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

chrisc90

wesley123 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 20:16
organic wrote:

Excerpt:
A Technical Directive has been issued to give guidance to the teams about the measures the FIA intends to take to tackle the problem. These include:

1. Closer scrutiny of the planks and skids, both in terms of their design and the observed wear
2. The definition of a metric, based on the car’s vertical acceleration, that will give a quantitative limit for acceptable level of vertical oscillations. The exact mathematical formula for this metric is still being analysed by the FIA, and the Formula 1 teams have been invited to contribute to this process.

In addition to these short-term measures, the FIA will convene a technical meeting with the Teams in order to define measures that will reduce the propensity of cars to exhibit such phenomena in the medium term.
It's absurd that teams are going to get handicapped based on something that essentially is just a flaw in the ruleset.
Same 'flaw' for everyone though isnt it....So the playing field is still level

dialtone

I don't think it will hurt all teams equally, and Ferrari doesn't look that bad either.

Sevach

TimW wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 20:13
BosF1 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:40
How is the FIA going to monitor vertical oscillation to the millimeter? Somebody any idea? It seems to me like a hard task to do
I'd guess they take the vertical acceleration signal, take the power spectral density of that and limit the amount of energy allowed in certain frequency bands.

Not sure if Red Bull will be unaffected. They run very low, so will take hits from the bumps. Depending on the criteria they may also be forced to increase ride height.
It really depends on wether the FIA will make this about one big peak or repeated bouncing.
Ryar wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 19:53
]Carlos and Charles are running slightly different setups. Carlos has more visible bouncing than Charles and hence suffers more physical discomfort. He is doing so to handle a pointy car that is not to his liking, which Charles doesn't mind. Ferrari can control the bouncing, so they should be ok. Carlos might fall further away from Charles in this process.
Charles had very controlled bouncing in his qualy lap, during friday it looked terrible but they landed on a good spot for the rest of the weekend.
Nor i could see anything terrible while he was running during the race, not sure about Carlos since he didn't get much tv time.

With Baku being one of the worst tracks for bumps on very long straight their situation shouldn't be too bad.

Sevach

dialtone wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 20:24
https://i.imgur.com/9RTVOYr.jpg

I don't think it will hurt all teams equally, and Ferrari doesn't look that bad either.
If they set it anywhere from .65 to .7 no one will care except... lol.

wesley123

chrisc90 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 20:18
wesley123 wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 20:16
organic wrote:

Excerpt:

Same 'flaw' for everyone though isnt it....So the playing field is still level
Considering how they could simply tell everyone to run x mm higher this solution is just an overcomplication and just designed to save face. By making it a consequence of an individual team's issues, this would imply that it is the team who is at fault, whereas the occurence is a consequence of the ruleset itself.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Neuron

Mercedes did bad job during the winter and now everyone are under investigation?

organic

They take the 4th turbo with leclerc

epo
epo

Neuron wrote:
16 Jun 2022, 20:56
Mercedes did bad job during the winter and now everyone are under investigation?
Spot on =D>