A post EV era

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Re: A post EV era

johnny comelately wrote:
17 Jun 2022, 11:58
An historical perspective, the whole lot is good but the EV part starts about 2:45

:wink:
Clarkson has never been a good reference, not even for ICE cars, let alone EVs

He´s a fun person, a good presenter, and a great showman, but far from objective. I enjoy Top Gear and also his adventure as a farman, but you can´t take him seriously by any means

gruntguru

I am sure he often deliberately says things he doesn't believe - being controversial adds comic effect.
je suis charlie

DChemTech

gruntguru wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 00:32
I am sure he often deliberately says things he doesn't believe - being controversial adds comic effect.
Too bad such things may sway public opinion though, not everyone catches the nuance.

J.A.W.

DChemTech wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 08:03
gruntguru wrote:
Too bad such things may sway public opinion though, not everyone catches the nuance.
To be fair, ol' Jezza is a classic sardonic Brit, just as Boris is, & neither really expect anything they say
to be taken literally, (or even factually, IMO) as befits their 'Basil Fawlty' public approach persona...
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Stu

J.A.W. wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 02:23
DChemTech wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 08:03
gruntguru wrote:
To be fair, ol' Jezza is a classic sardonic Brit, just as Boris is, & neither really expect anything they say
to be taken literally, (or even factually, IMO) as befits their 'Basil Fawlty' public approach persona...
All responses from either should be prefaced by the thought “Ask a fool a question…”
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

johnny comelately

Dernie Ecclestone

johnny comelately wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 13:19
Speaking of recycling, here's a disassembly of Tesla's newest battery pack, which is non-servicable:

It is not recyclable in the sense of how me might be familiar with recycling. It would apparently require a sophisticated or specialized facility wherein the pack is submerged in liquid nitrogen, pulverized, then submerged in baths to extract component materials based on their density. On ICE road vehicles drivetrain component recycling is far more simple due to the use of discrete homogenous materials for most parts of the drivetrain, with the control electronics being the only comparable components in terms of recycling difficulty. Think of a battery pack as a giant PCB, in that sense.

Just_a_fan

Recycling is going to be a bit of a game but it's better than going out and mining for fresh ore and then processing that to get out what you need.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 18:35
Recycling is going to be a bit of a game but it's better than going out and mining for fresh ore and then processing that to get out what you need.
Governments need to be in there quite soon stipulating making it easier for recycling.
The vid looks like it is just about a new floor for the car and not possible to recover easily.
OK now, but in several years that battery pack is going to need replacing or be inefficient.

I would prefer to see it have a 'second life' of say 5 more years rather than scrap it due to the cost and complexity of renewing the battery.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

There is a chance for a good (lengthy) 2nd life for use a solar stores for domestic use.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Greg Locock

People seem rather keen on attaching failing highly inflammable batteries to their houses.I wonder what the insurance people will have to say?

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 22:14
There is a chance for a good (lengthy) 2nd life for use a solar stores for domestic use.
But that is not eco friendly if you have to scrap off the car to get the battery pack.
If the battery pack life is supposed to be (say) 10 years it is probable that in 6 years a better pack will be available so it should be possible to upgrade at a moderate cost (above the new battery price) and release the 'old' pack for repurposing without scrapping the vehicle, which looking at that vid, seems likely with that arrangement.

It seems the outer casing of the battery pack is the actual floor of the car. Once this is disturbed the whole body needs re-jigging and would be insurance classed as a write off.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Billzilla

Greg Locock wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 23:05
People seem rather keen on attaching failing highly inflammable batteries to their houses.I wonder what the insurance people will have to say?
The newer batteries and upcoming ones are far more resistant to that. It'll becoming a thing of the past in the next few years.

Edax

Dernie Ecclestone wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 14:59
johnny comelately wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 13:19
Speaking of recycling, here's a disassembly of Tesla's newest battery pack, which is non-servicable:

It is not recyclable in the sense of how me might be familiar with recycling. It would apparently require a sophisticated or specialized facility wherein the pack is submerged in liquid nitrogen, pulverized, then submerged in baths to extract component materials based on their density. On ICE road vehicles drivetrain component recycling is far more simple due to the use of discrete homogenous materials for most parts of the drivetrain, with the control electronics being the only comparable components in terms of recycling difficulty. Think of a battery pack as a giant PCB, in that sense.
Thanks, very interesting. I guess you should not compare it with the recycling of a traditional ICE, but with the cost of Lithium mining and processing. That in the end determines whether recycling is net positive or not.

Just_a_fan

Greg Locock wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 23:05
What, as opposed to parking a vehicle with a tank full of highly flammable liquid in the garage?

"I don't like something so I'll make up some rubbish to support my view".

ICE are just as dangerous as an EV near a house.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.