2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

adrianjordan wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 22:17
NAPI10 wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 19:29
chrisgr wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 19:10

"no plans for any major updates for various reasons, including managing the cost cap as well".
How Merc & Redbull managing the cost-cap and gets upgrades regularly?
I think questions are already being asked about how RBR are managing their development rate. I personally feel they have gone for a strategy of developing this year's car a lot early in the season and building a championship lead - working so far - and then slow development in the latter half to focus on next year. Obviously any developments that would work on this year's car would get brought forward if they need them.
It would make sense as they have the best car out of the box, well if you discount Ferrari who seem to do everything possible to shoot themselves in both feet, so as the saying goes, make hay while the sun shines.

25 points in the bank now is, well, errm, points in the bank. It is also probable that as Mercedes improve so will the others so it will be harder to get points all the way down.
If they have enough of a lead before Merc solve their problems and Ferrari get 'organised' they can settle for podiums for the rest of the year or take a risk on strategies which they would not it if was toe to toe.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

runningmanz

CjC wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 18:47
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10326132/

No updates in the short term I’m afraid according to Seidl due to the cost cap🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
So maybe just small updates like Lando mentioned but nothing major. Well that's a letdown. Hope Silverstone suits the car better.

ScottR267

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... rship.aspx

Even with the Goldman Sachs announcement, still room for more sponsors….not sure how or where mind you as the car seems full up to me

Snowblindoz

Before anything else, i'd just like to say hello to everybody.
I'm new to posting, but have been reading posts on here almost daily for many, many years.
I've been a McLaren fan since going to the 76 British GP at Brands Hatch with my uncle when i was 8yrs old and haven't missed a single GP that's been broadcast in the UK ever since.
I'm more into the car side of things, not a big driver fan, i appreciate and admire the ability of some of them, just don't do the fan thing.
Anyway the reason for my post.
Are Mclaren now locked into 4th place (development time wise) for the next 6 months?
From reading the 22 regs i'm pretty sure it say's the championship positions for development purposes are reset(set) on the 30th of June and 31st December each year 2022-25.
I remember last year at this time, we were locked into 3rd position, despite losing that place to Ferrari later on.
Could be bad news if Mclaren are very shortly behind Alpine and Alfa Romeo in 6th, but locked into 4th CFD and wind tunnel wise. :roll:
Anyone know if this is fact or am i reading it wrong?

Macklaren

ScottR267 wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 01:08
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... rship.aspx

Even with the Goldman Sachs announcement, still room for more sponsors….not sure how or where mind you as the car seems full up to me
HUGE WIN for Zak

Mostlyeels

https://www.racefans.net/2022/06/22/rac ... p-22-06-5/
McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl says the team is not concerned about power unit reliability despite the problems they encountered in Canada. Norris had to abandon his qualifying effort during Q2 and both McLaren drivers were “managing parameters” during the final phase of Sunday’s race.

“What happened on Lando’s PU was a sensor that was causing a loss of power and a misfire, that we had in Q2,” Seidl explained. “We took the decision to switch then the power unit back to the other one, which is in the pool, in the morning. So we’re still on two PUs.

“We expect that the power unit can be repaired and therefore, for the moment, there is no sign that they couldn’t finish the season this year with three power units.”

runningmanz

Snowblindoz wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 12:22
Before anything else, i'd just like to say hello to everybody.
I'm new to posting, but have been reading posts on here almost daily for many, many years.
I've been a McLaren fan since going to the 76 British GP at Brands Hatch with my uncle when i was 8yrs old and haven't missed a single GP that's been broadcast in the UK ever since.
I'm more into the car side of things, not a big driver fan, i appreciate and admire the ability of some of them, just don't do the fan thing.
Anyway the reason for my post.
Are Mclaren now locked into 4th place (development time wise) for the next 6 months?
From reading the 22 regs i'm pretty sure it say's the championship positions for development purposes are reset(set) on the 30th of June and 31st December each year 2022-25.
I remember last year at this time, we were locked into 3rd position, despite losing that place to Ferrari later on.
Could be bad news if Mclaren are very shortly behind Alpine and Alfa Romeo in 6th, but locked into 4th CFD and wind tunnel wise. :roll:
Anyone know if this is fact or am i reading it wrong?
Welcome aboard mate! We need to get a move on as 4th doesn't even look secure for us with a few other teams like Alpine breathing down our necks! Mercedes are pulling too far ahead and apparently have some good upgrades for SIlverstone too. It sucks that we had the brake issues put us behind, but also we seem really cautious with our upgrades and don't seem to know how to reduce drag without it upsetting the balance and grip of the car. I hope they can figure it out soon and we see some good upgrades, its painful with this cost cap how slow major updates take to be applied to the car.

genarro

We had a big upgrade in Spain. It worked as planed. Everyone here expects a different car every gp weekend. Usually the small changes make the big improvement. Extracting everything out of the current package must be the peiority.

Ben1980

Also wanted to say hi to other Macca fans! Long time reader recently signed up., after realising it seems a bit more reasonable here compared to other forums!

Regarding the car, it doesn't seem bad it just doesn't seem good either. I still think 4th is realistic, and in reality that must have been the target overall

Snowblindoz

"From reading the 22 regs i'm pretty sure it say's the championship positions for development purposes are reset(set) on the 30th of June and 31st December each year 2022-25.
Could be bad news if Mclaren are very shortly behind Alpine and Alfa Romeo in 6th, but locked into 4th CFD and wind tunnel wise.
Anyone know if this is fact or am i reading it wrong?"

Okay, scrap this question.
The answers just been supplied by The-Race.com
https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes ... struggles/

PhillipM

runningmanz wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 00:28
So maybe just small updates like Lando mentioned but nothing major. Well that's a letdown. Hope Silverstone suits the car better.
Mclaren aren't expecting to do too well here, too many high speed sweeping corners that show up the drag, unless they luck into the perfect tyre setup, as keeping the new fronts in the window looks a bit tricky.

Mansell89

PhillipM wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 11:22
runningmanz wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 00:28
Mclaren aren't expecting to do too well here, too many high speed sweeping corners that show up the drag, unless they luck into the perfect tyre setup, as keeping the new fronts in the window looks a bit tricky.
Yeah that’s how I see it. Interestingly though, Ferrari - having been strong in Monaco (high DF) - rocked up at Silverstone and seemed to be brilliant on the tyres last year with an excellent drive from Charles.

Lando had a very good Monaco so perhaps there’s an outside chance we luck into a solid weekend.

Mansell89

Not sure if this is necessarily the correct thread but McLaren Formula E will be powered by Nissan going forward when they launch next season.

Obviously a part of the Renault group etc- just worth noting without getting into any speculation.

continuum16

https://the-race.com/formula-1/no-more- ... is-season/

No major upgrades not just short term, but for the rest of the season, apparently. Not spectacular news, If I’m honest. It will be interesting to see if they can hold onto 4th ahead of Alpine and Alfa Romeo.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Mclarenfanboy

Am I wrong or Nissan has already there own works team in FE, think they bought the whole thing from Renault a few years ago...