Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gandharva

Re: Red Bull RB18

Henk_v

Allthough several media report a tightened bodywork, to me it looks like it has been widened locally.

The additional louvres maybe indicate something got repackaged. We might just have seen half of the update.
Last edited by Henk_v on 30 Jun 2022, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

They did something similar as Mercedes, the brought the cooling up a bit higher, that now starts at the “shoulder” of the halo and just keeps going, that hole has been made in the air already anyway. The space this saves up has been used to make the gap towards the beamwing bigger. This should increase flow over it and this also extract more air from under the floor, giving more downforce.

It seems it is just ready as the gaps are not as tight and neat as the RBR bodywork usually is.

organic

This is quite a significant update. I'd say it is moving cooling and following the Mercedes direction of using the shoulder, as the other user has already mentioned.

Seems louvres have also appeared on said shoulder with this update - perhaps these louvres will always be present similar to Ferrari's et al. Let's see. Their presence on a weekend with forecast low temps suggests to me they will be

Frankly the new engine cover shape looks extremely similar to RB16B's:

RB16B

RB16B

RB18

They will thusly be familiar with how this engine cover shape interacts with the airflows in this region I imagine

johnny comelately

Is that breather at the end of the halo for the fuel tank?

organic

Anyone got pics of the floor shown on Thursday? I can see only one picture of the Silverstone spec RB18 online

organic

Seems the RB18 has followed a similar development at the engine cover as the RB16B did from the RB16:

Another image demonstrating 16->16B, showing the increased shoulder cooling and greater shoulder width towards the halo.

Believe that the transition is very similar to the previous one. Perhaps this was planned by RB to proceed as such - perhaps not

Roostfactor

I forgot how to insert a photo here but there are more pics of the bodywork and floor here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gpblog ... stone.html

organic

Floor edge & double bargeboard detail is the same as Canada, current spec first brought at Baku. External floor stay debuted at Baku remains despite reports they were going to remove it with a new floor (of course these were false - it was predicted)

Think RB are running only 1 BW element again this weekend. Interesting.

Thank you @roostfactor for the link to the images
Last edited by organic on 01 Jul 2022, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

Roostfactor

organic wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 01:02
https://albumizr.com/ia/03ea5c50f3417b1 ... 9973ca.jpg

https://albumizr.com/ia/551be0431079d5d ... 45ce7f.jpg

Floor edge & double bargeboard detail is the same as Canada, current spec first brought at Baku. External floor stay debuted at Baku remains despite reports they were going to remove it with a new floor (of course these were false - it was predicted)

Thank you @roostfactor for the link to the images
Awesome! Your very welcome. Thanks for posting the pics!

JordanMugen

Sevach wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 20:41
https://twitter.com/RedBullRacingEN/sta ... 8gEnhzfqOQ
That's because it is.
Wow! =D> I was not expecting such a big change to the Red Bull. That looks really cool, and is indeed a very clever design to (presumably) improve the airflow to the beam wing area.

It's not something I would have ever thought of, that's for sure. :oops: That's why Red Bull has the clever people on board! =D>

PlatinumZealot

Small change IMO. A shrink wrapping.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

organic

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 03:30
Small change IMO. A shrink wrapping.
Look at the "Red Bull" logo. It is now completely in an overhang with the shoulder above it. That either happens by the area above the logo being wider, or the area where the logo is has been shrink wrapped inwards, like you're suggesting.

How to verify which has happened: I suggest comparison of the exposed top surface of the sidepod is a valid method. If shrink wrapping has taken place where the logo is, then there should be a greater exposed area on the top of the ramped part of the sidepod, or at least it will look different.

Barcelona

Silverstone

To me the top surface of the sidepod looks too similar for there to be significant shrink wrapping, rather that the shoulder curvature has been generated by pulling bodywork outwards

Looking at the bull logo that is close to the sharkfin makes it even more obvious it is the bodywork raised more than any shrinkwrapping

dxpetrov

Wow, this is mental!

Roostfactor

dxpetrov wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 06:02
Wow, this is mental!
Yeah just wait a few weeks to see AM copy it haha!