Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dxpetrov

Re: Red Bull RB18

I don't know, it might be optical illusion, to me even the floor looks different, somehow more detailed, polished? All those bulges below the sidepods look more prominent?

chrisc90

Even looking at the Siemens and armour all logos on the pictures organic posted above, the shape of the curve on the side pod looks to come down a lot sharper on the silverstone spec.

Henk_v

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 07:05
Even looking at the Siemens and armour all logos on the pictures organic posted above, the shape of the curve on the side pod looks to come down a lot sharper on the silverstone spec.
I do not agree. If you look closely, you can see these logo's have a different placement (referenced to the Oracle "e"). There is a larger unpainted area and they moved the logos away fron the transition line between paint/bare carbon, for aesthetic reasons presumably

Stu

Sevach wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 20:41
https://twitter.com/RedBullRacingEN/sta ... 8gEnhzfqOQ

That's because it is.
It looks more to increase the cooling exit, the lower part has a very similar profile (and dimension) to the previous version.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Mandrake

dxpetrov wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 06:24
I don't know, it might be optical illusion, to me even the floor looks different, somehow more detailed, polished? All those bulges below the sidepods look more prominent?
I thought the same. But I cannot put my finger on whether it's material changes or if it's actually differently shaped

RZS10

organic wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 03:51
To me the top surface of the sidepod looks too similar for there to be significant shrink wrapping, rather that the shoulder curvature has been generated by pulling bodywork outwards

Looking at the bull logo that is close to the sharkfin makes it even more obvious it is the bodywork raised more than any shrinkwrapping
Yup, which says nothing about the not visible area at the very rear under the HRC logo/hidden by the wheel as that might be narrower - but the main sidepod and even the seemingly shrinkwrapped area where the RB logo sits now seem unchanged.

organic

RZS10

another angle ... i'm rather confident there's no shrinkwrapping or tightening of anything on the bodywork
source

Henk_v

Great comparison! Look at the cooling louvres. The old ones give a clear impression that the flow over the engine cover is heavily upwashing, conflicting the downwash over the sidepod. It looks to me that with this New "shoulder" they get more energised air at the beamwing and reduce the upwash flow (see New cooling louvres) over the engine cover maybe even getting better flow over the rear wing.

To me it looks like the bulls "butt" has been slimmed in the engine case and the rest is protruded
Last edited by Henk_v on 01 Jul 2022, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

gandharva

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 03:30
Small change IMO. A shrink wrapping.
That change is neither small nor is it a shrink. It's an optimization of inner (faster airflow) and outer airflow. Cooling and airflow should be significantly improved with this update.

RZS10 wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 13:06
another angle ... i'm rather confident there's no shrinkwrapping or tightening of anything on the bodywork
I fully agree.

organic

State of undress..

Owen.C93

They've finally replaced the floor bracing with carbon girders.

I think they're the only team to do their floor reinforcement in that way. I think it's interesting that each arm is adjustable in angle and the edges are articulated. Shows how refined RB are in their floor flexing parameters circuit to circuit.

Old:
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

PlatinumZealot

gandharva wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 13:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 03:30
Small change IMO. A shrink wrapping.
That change is neither small nor is it a shrink. It's an optimization of inner (faster airflow) and outer airflow. Cooling and airflow should be significantly improved with this update.

RZS10 wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 13:06
I fully agree.
You don't see the obvious tightening where it matters? Hmm. Ok.

Aero guys want to reduce the volume of the car where they want clean flow. The exhaust cannon you see above that is a design we see on cars from the past. Also see it on this year's alpine. Not a big change IMO.

Williams is what I call a big change.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 01 Jul 2022, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gandharva

Mountings are now made from carbon to save weight.
Last edited by gandharva on 01 Jul 2022, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.