Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
dialtone

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

organic wrote:https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... nik-mgu-k/

Haas having more MGU-K problems at Canada. Lots of MGU-K penalties for them this year I think. Ferrari may run into this problem if they also run their car lower - AMuS suggests that the Haas runs lower than other Ferrari teams and as such has been damaging the MGU-K somehow:
At most a suspicion. The Haas VF-22 rides lower than the Ferrari F1-75 and the Sauber C42, so it takes a heavier hit as the cars bottom out on bumps and curbs.
Not sure why you write 'somehow' the article says why, it bottoms out harder. And yeah, if you repeatedly smash something on the ground you break it.

organic

dialtone wrote:
26 Jun 2022, 17:27
organic wrote:https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... nik-mgu-k/

Haas having more MGU-K problems at Canada. Lots of MGU-K penalties for them this year I think. Ferrari may run into this problem if they also run their car lower - AMuS suggests that the Haas runs lower than other Ferrari teams and as such has been damaging the MGU-K somehow:
At most a suspicion. The Haas VF-22 rides lower than the Ferrari F1-75 and the Sauber C42, so it takes a heavier hit as the cars bottom out on bumps and curbs.
Not sure why you write 'somehow' the article says why, it bottoms out harder. And yeah, if you repeatedly smash something on the ground you break it.
Well I said somehow because it's all speculative, and the exact mechanism of failure is completely unknown. I'd personally rather err on the side of vague than make statements that can't be supported

MtthsMlw

Either this carbon duct feeds some radiators or this puts an end to the split turbo rumors. I'd say the latter.

johnny comelately

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:17
Either this carbon duct feeds some radiators or this puts an end to the split turbo rumors. I'd say the latter.

Go out on a limb here as I dont know much about their config, could it be blow off valve ducting back to inlet?

LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
https://www.motorsport-total.com/bilder ... 654238.jpg
Most powerful engine and it's not a split turbo. This must big a big surprise for some people here strongly suggesting that it was impossible to close the gap to Mercedes and Honda with a conventional design. In fact, now it's the only conventional one left.

ryaan2904

MtthsMlw wrote:
Isnt it too thin to be a turbo inlet?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

saviour stivala

LM10 wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 16:18
MtthsMlw wrote:
Most powerful engine and it's not a split turbo. This must big a big surprise for some people here strongly suggesting that it was impossible to close the gap to Mercedes and Honda with a conventional design. In fact, now it's the only conventional one left.
Apart from assumptions pushed forward, the real life fact is that FERRARI is the only one of the four not having confirmed its turbo/H configuration. And that fact is tormenting many a mind.

ringo

ryaan2904 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 12:18
MtthsMlw wrote:
This supports the split turbo more to me. That tube is to cool the turbine, MGUH? and waste gates.
The serpentine air pipes is what interests me.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP

Maybe the Ferrari turbo solution is quite innovative, and something that hasn't been discussed before. Hence the secrecy.

organic

Will be interesting to see how the engine performs at altitude this coming weekend. I have read some stuff this year about the turbo being small which might cause the PU to struggle with the thinner air, but not sure the credibility of these rumours

johnny comelately

What is this saying at about the 3:10 mark?
Speculation or gospel?

gruntguru

That image certainly shows a split turbo.
je suis charlie

saviour stivala

The image – rendering computer graphics – Solely belongs to and pushed forward by ChronoGP and no part of it belongs to or is confirmed by FERRARI. It is nothing except the media trying to push out perceived expert opinion. Nevertheless, good stuff.

ryaan2904

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:22
ryaan2904 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 12:18
MtthsMlw wrote:
This supports the split turbo more to me. That tube is to cool the turbine, MGUH? and waste gates.
The serpentine air pipes is what interests me.
Yeah, me too mate. Rumors are, the serpent pipes are there to increase the length of the variable inlets inside the plenums. They say it increases torque at low revs.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

S D

johnny comelately wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 22:00
What is this saying at about the 3:10 mark?
Speculation or gospel?
Best that I can translate:
The Ferrari engine of Leclerc has been accused of overheating the supercharger located on the compressor.
The turbine works at 120,000 rpm and was subjected to thermal stresses in the order of 1100 degrees that on a circuit where you travel open throttle for 73 percent of the lap resulted in exceeding operating temperatures.