Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB18

Polished underfloor?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

organic

Better image of said cutout:

Seems RB may be fearing more bouncing problems at Silverstone? Max is therefore testing this specification of floor whilst Sergio uses the original without cutout. Could also be information gathering for after the TD comes in

Sevach

Looks a lot like the Ferrari design of this area.

organic

Both RB fitted with the new floor for FP3 (the one that emulates the floor cutout which Ferrari brought at Spanish GP):

It is good that the change brought performance, as presumably they weren't sure if it could (given they had Perez with old floor); either that, or the new floor was only ready for Max yesterday

gandharva

Looks stable.

aleks_ader

Thats a lot of rake. :d
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

BlueCheetah66

How close do you reckon that inside tyre is to lifting off the ground

Snelbaard

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 21:35
Extremely unclose

GrizzleBoy

Snelbaard wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 22:30
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 21:35
Extremely unclose
I was trying to find a better word to use and you used the same word lol.

But yeah, the amount of downforce that car is making that allows him to go through all high speed sections like he's driving a 2021 car probably means none of those tyres are particularly struggling with contact patch issues.

Big Tea

What bothers me with this picture is that the wheels seem to be steering straight ahead in that shot
How does the weight throw that far inside(?) a corner with the steering straight?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

The new floor was on sergio's car for Saturday's FP3 and Quali

Mod edit, deleted posts removed

henry

The bib looks to be flat on the road even though the rest of the car has significant roll. I wonder if this is true for the whole of the plank. That would seal the outside tunnel quite effectively on the inside of the car.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

christian.falavena

Image Image Interesting flow comparison, thanks to the rain.
I've seen that almost every car sprayed a flow starting from the ground in the bargeboard zone and going up thowards the rear of the car, I think it was the external strake to put it there.

Mattchu

carisi2k wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 01:54
aleks_ader wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 16:25
Thats a lot of rake. :d
Oh if only the Mercedes freakboys on the W13 thread actually bothered to spend time on here to see just how much rake the RB18 has!!!!!

Seriously though it looks like Max is really liking the new floor. Hopefully for Sergio it will work for him when he receives his new floor.
Probably the main type of reason I (and many others) rarely post or even come here anymore! It`s sad that the site has become like Twitter. etc, with folks (all sides) constantly sniping at others :(

Quantum

carisi2k wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 04:57
I think it is time that some moderators clean these last few pages up. Some bans for those who are accusing Red Bull of something just because of a technical directive. It is even happening in the W13 thread and nobody has any proof at all of their assertions. The false claims of rake when there are pictures of the RB18 clearly not running any rake has turned these forums into unreadable drivel.
How would you explain it? Keen to hear ideas as to how the RB18 manages to have the keel and floor touching the ground in the high speed stuff, while exhibiting less porpoising than the others.
Better yet, the loaded side of the floor will be scraping the ground and you wont hear any bottoming from the plank on the onboards. The twisting behaviour has me curious.
It should also be mentioned, that while 2022 cars don't have the ridiculous rake of previous years...static and low speed rake is still present, "not running any rake" isn't what I see here.

"Interplay of triads"