2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Billiard smooth, they can race.

Excellent Sunday viewing that
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

AA_2019

Arrgh, it was looking promising before the safety car came out!
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

De Jokke

Could have won it strategy wise (before SC) but after the SC, the flaws of this car prevented the win (rbr and ferrari still faster)
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

erudite450

Hamilton is a hell of a driver! The older drivers on the grid - Alonso, Perez, Vettel - acknowledge his special talent. Surely, some of these younger guys like Norris who make careless comments must know that too. His sheer relentless and consistency must be a nightmare for the other drivers.

George is a brilliant driver at the same level as Leclerc and Verstappen but he will struggle to keep up with Hamilton on Sundays with Hamilton in this form.

Looking ahead, Paul Ricard should hopefully suit Mercedes but Redbull Ring will be a tough one with Redbull's incredible straightline speed.

f1jcw

De Jokke wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:45
Could have won it strategy wise (before SC) but after the SC, the flaws of this car prevented the win (rbr and ferrari still faster)
Everyone was thinking should have put on softs when pitted, turns out that wouldnt have made much difference.
Would putting the mediums on for the last 10 laps being better then the softs?

PlatinumZealot

erudite450 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:17
Hamilton is a hell of a driver! The older drivers on the grid - Alonso, Perez, Vettel - acknowledge his special talent. Surely, some of these younger guys like Norris who make careless comments must know that too. His sheer relentless and consistency must be a nightmare for the other drivers.

George is a brilliant driver at the same level as Leclerc and Verstappen but he will struggle to keep up with Hamilton on Sundays with Hamilton in this form.

Looking ahead, Paul Ricard should hopefully suit Mercedes but Redbull Ring will be a tough one with Redbull's incredible straightline speed.
Still not the best Lewis IMO. He gave too much ground to Norris, Charles and Checo. Probably trying to let the car bring it self home but he could have been more aggressive.

Did Mercedes have any new mediums btw?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Gillian

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:27
erudite450 wrote:

Still not the best Lewis IMO. He gave too much ground to Norris, Charles and Checo. Probably trying to let the car bring it self home but he could have been more aggressive.

I don't know, are you sure about that? Most where taking a lot of risk and even hitting each other so I actually think Hamilton did everything he could. For me this was one of his best races in a while, including last year. Best of the day surely.

De Jokke

I would have boxed Lewis a couple of laps earlier and put him on mediums.
Merc did react well with the SC to give softs but the car doesn't seem to like them (can't switch them on quick enough) :cry:

If we may believe Elliot, they know now in which direction to develop, let's hope they can bring updates at a fast rate
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

erudite450

PlatinumZealot wrote:
erudite450 wrote:

I take your point. He might have been a bit too nice to some of them but they had tyre warmup issue as well all weekend. That's why I was shocked they did a cool down lap before his final flying lap yesterday. His pace, though, in the grand prix was astonishing.

erudite450

Hamilton is miles better than these guys. The only issue he might have going forward is Russell's pace on Saturdays. He doesn't need to be losing time behind Russell at the early stages of grands prix allowing Verstappen and Leclerc to have a cushion.

f1jcw

De Jokke wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:32
I would have boxed Lewis a couple of laps earlier and put him on mediums.
Merc did react well with the SC to give softs but the car doesn't seem to like them (can't switch them on quick enough) :cry:

If we may believe Elliot, they know now in which direction to develop, let's hope they can bring updates at a fast rate
Shame it couldn't have happened a few months ago, nothing to race for but pride now

Sofa King

I think they did, but I believe you need to use two different compounds in a dry race
PlatinumZealot wrote:
erudite450 wrote:

PlatinumZealot

They had on hards so I was thinking he could have tried mediums for the safety car restart.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

That slow stop from Mercedes of 4 seconds. If Hamilton had those 2 seconds and Ocon didn't do is piquet Jr. move then we could have been celbrating a win. Perez coming back into the picture also killed any hopes of a win. The redbull is too fast. It's a step ahead of the ferrari in the race. Mercedes has small chance against a ferrari, but none against the RB18, as the RB has no weaknesses.

Geoge succumbed to home race pressure today.
He also had no reason to try to save Zhou. Running around like a chicken for no reason. I like the guy, but he is putting too much expectations on himself to be the perfect driver on and off the track.
He need to refocus and get back to doing his thing on the track. He is super talented, and could have factored in this race if he just got back to the pits and left Zhou to the marshals.
For Sure!!

erudite450

Some of the things other drivers can get away with. Imagine if Hamilton was the one asking for his teammate to be moved out of the way, they'd have asked for his head. Not that it wasn't the right thing to do though.