2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

erudite450 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:41
Hamilton is miles better than these guys. The only issue he might have going forward is Russell's pace on Saturdays. He doesn't need to be losing time behind Russell at the early stages of grands prix allowing Verstappen and Leclerc to have a cushion.
Then he has to make sure he is in front of Russell on the grid. Only he can do that.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

erudite450 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:55
Some of the things other drivers can get away with. Imagine if Hamilton was the one asking for his teammate to be moved out of the way, they'd have asked for his head. Not that it wasn't the right thing to do though.
yes, when it's Hamilton Mercedes is dirty and they do team orders. When it's not him, the fans want the team orders! :lol:
For Sure!!

Tvetovnato

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:51
That slow stop from Mercedes of 4 seconds. If Hamilton had those 2 seconds and Ocon didn't do is piquet Jr. move then we could have been celbrating a win. Perez coming back into the picture also killed any hopes of a win. The redbull is too fast. It's a step ahead of the ferrari in the race. Mercedes has small chance against a ferrari, but none against the RB18, as the RB has no weaknesses.

Geoge succumbed to home race pressure today.
He also had no reason to try to save Zhou. Running around like a chicken for no reason. I like the guy, but he is putting too much expectations on himself to be the perfect driver on and off the track.
He need to refocus and get back to doing his thing on the track. He is super talented, and could have factored in this race if he just got back to the pits and left Zhou to the marshals.
I don’t think it was pressure that got to George, it was simply unlucky to have Gasly sneak up in the sandwich right at the moment George started moving left to get a better line for turn one. It’s just a case of ”--- happens” and nothing he could be expected to do differently.

Hamilton was also super unlucky with the SC as usual. Masterpiece of a first stint that laid the foundation for an almost certain win. But a podium in a year like this is still something to celebrate!

Tvetovnato wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:21
ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:51
That slow stop from Mercedes of 4 seconds. If Hamilton had those 2 seconds and Ocon didn't do is piquet Jr. move then we could have been celbrating a win. Perez coming back into the picture also killed any hopes of a win. The redbull is too fast. It's a step ahead of the ferrari in the race. Mercedes has small chance against a ferrari, but none against the RB18, as the RB has no weaknesses.

Geoge succumbed to home race pressure today.
He also had no reason to try to save Zhou. Running around like a chicken for no reason. I like the guy, but he is putting too much expectations on himself to be the perfect driver on and off the track.
He need to refocus and get back to doing his thing on the track. He is super talented, and could have factored in this race if he just got back to the pits and left Zhou to the marshals.
I don’t think it was pressure that got to George, it was simply unlucky to have Gasly sneak up in the sandwich right at the moment George started moving left to get a better line for turn one. It’s just a case of ”--- happens” and nothing he could be expected to do differently.

Hamilton was also super unlucky with the SC as usual. Masterpiece of a first stint that laid the foundation for an almost certain win. But a podium in a year like this is still something to celebrate!
RUS was looking in his mirror the whole time, should’ve seen GAS & been more circumspect. I also have to agree RUS needs to settle down, he was trying too hard getting involved with any & everything after the incident.

I got Imola vibes from him in the interview, should’ve just owned it & said ‘my bad’.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

rickybobbyf1

Great race from LH! Glad to see some sort of improvement. Bit unlucky with the first restart (position changes) and the second one not being able to warm up the tyres (DAS is surely missed). Slow pit stop did not help at all… I frankly don’t understand why MB has not gotten on top of their pit stops through the years, like RB and Williams which are usually quick. You can argue they make few mistakes during them, but they are just slow on average.

Also, I was hearing one of the commentators talk about how Ham was maybe a bit too “nice” w Per and Lec, and was pushed around by them. However, I can’t help but think that if that was not the case, and Ham roughed them up, he would probably get penalized, so it’s discouraging seeing them do just that and run away scot-free.

Austria will probably be painful for MB, given history and altitude may play a role with their cooling package. Hopefully I’m proved wrong.

Looking forward to France, where they might be competitive once again. Happy with the upgrades, wish they keep developing! Interesting to see what comes out of that potential clarification regarding floor plank flexing…

Tough day for George, he will only come back stronger!

LFG team!

zibby43

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 20:51
Great race from LH! Glad to see some sort of improvement. Bit unlucky with the first restart (position changes) and the second one not being able to warm up the tyres (DAS is surely missed). Slow pit stop did not help at all… I frankly don’t understand why MB has not gotten on top of their pit stops through the years, like RB and Williams which are usually quick. You can argue they make few mistakes during them, but they are just slow on average.

Also, I was hearing one of the commentators talk about how Ham was maybe a bit too “nice” w Per and Lec, and was pushed around by them. However, I can’t help but think that if that was not the case, and Ham roughed them up, he would probably get penalized, so it’s discouraging seeing them do just that and run away scot-free.

Austria will probably be painful for MB, given history and altitude may play a role with their cooling package. Hopefully I’m proved wrong.

Looking forward to France, where they might be competitive once again. Happy with the upgrades, wish they keep developing! Interesting to see what comes out of that potential clarification regarding floor plank flexing…

Tough day for George, he will only come back stronger!

LFG team!
All good points. I think Austria may be okay for them this year.

Short lap. Smooth track surface. And the early forecast seems to suggest unseasonably cool temps (and rain) throughout the weekend.

I think Merc largely got on top of their cooling issues there last year, and this year’s occasional PU temp. problems in the race have been the result of changing forecasts (i.e., hotter on race day than anticipated) and inadequate bodywork vent choices.

ringo

Those medium speed turns in Austria may just play to their strenthts.

I watched some of the fight with checo. Hamilton left the door open through in one of the turns roght before lewis was pushed off. Either the redbull is so good under braking its hard to judge if they can stop and turn on a dime, or thr mercedes just doesnt have the downforce to do the latr braking and make the corners.
Perez also showed how good the top speed is compared to the w13. He outdragged Lewis basically to keep the place.
So yes mercedes are miles away from a genuine win.
Ferrari are also far off. Redbull just seems ominous now, and Max can easily get 13 wins this season. It's his championship to lose.
Only Checo and Charles can stop him.
For Sure!!

De Jokke

Checo is not allowed...

Of all the gp's, Russell had to crash now, just when it's a smoother surface and the merc was going well #-o Such a pity as we would have had a strong points finish. Perhaps Russell could have helped Lewis strategically?

BUT first podium on pure pace, it's a step forward
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

rickybobbyf1

ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:05
Those medium speed turns in Austria may just play to their strenthts.

I watched some of the fight with checo. Hamilton left the door open through in one of the turns roght before lewis was pushed off. Either the redbull is so good under braking its hard to judge if they can stop and turn on a dime, or thr mercedes just doesnt have the downforce to do the latr braking and make the corners.
Perez also showed how good the top speed is compared to the w13. He outdragged Lewis basically to keep the place.
So yes mercedes are miles away from a genuine win.
Ferrari are also far off. Redbull just seems ominous now, and Max can easily get 13 wins this season. It's his championship to lose.
Only Checo and Charles can stop him.

I hope you guys are right regarding Austria! Yes, I noticed the same thing on that fight. Hopefully we can lose more drag somehow and get to see what the PU is fully capable of. A reliability upgrade would be nice so the drivers don’t have to lift and coast so often. Ham was often lifting 50-100m, instructed by the team.

I know an overhauled suspension will be difficult this year, but that will surely help. I expect them to work heavily on that once the aero components are sorted. I hope correlation in the wind tunnel/sim is accurate, which will be imperative in their performance.

Jozsusz

Mercedes and Hamilton MUST win at least one race this year.
So it's better to get their act together quickly.

chrisc90

Lewis should never have left the door wide open for Checo entering Village? I was honestly shocked he never closed that door off. Given they were side by side and lewis tried his wider line onto the straight, with Checo taking the inner line, the pace of the RB car won overall. Bit of a 'mistake' on Lewis' behalf there, but he drove a good race overall and that 1 instance is the only fault I can pick with him this race (aside from wanting to stay out on the hard tyres at the safety car). Superb start to begin with before the red flag, gaining 2 positions into 3rd. He drove a great race today, fastest lap after fastest lap and matched the Ferrari on race pace. (And i'm a Max fan.)

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:35
Lewis should never have left the door wide open for Checo entering Village? I was honestly shocked he never closed that door off. Given they were side by side and lewis tried his wider line onto the straight, with Checo taking the inner line, the pace of the RB car won overall. Bit of a 'mistake' on Lewis' behalf there, but he drove a good race overall and that 1 instance is the only fault I can pick with him this race (aside from wanting to stay out on the hard tyres at the safety car). Superb start to begin with before the red flag, gaining 2 positions into 3rd. He drove a great race today, fastest lap after fastest lap and matched the Ferrari on race pace. (And i'm a Max fan.)
I got the feeling that Lewis was trying to abide by the racing rules handed down by the FIA. I wonder if he'll do that again.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

rickybobbyf1

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:40
chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:35
I got the feeling that Lewis was trying to abide by the racing rules handed down by the FIA. I wonder if he'll do that again.
The minute he stops following the rules and starts getting his elbows out like the others, he will get a penalty. FIA just need to do a better job to apply their own rules and keep them consistent through weekends.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Hammerfist

GrizzleBoy wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 09:23
mstar wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 09:15
GrizzleBoy wrote:
02 Jul 2022, 22:30
Norris has shown signs here and there of being a bit of a dick sometimes and I think this is one of those times.

George has been the "businessman" type driver with the PR heavy interview style since he joined Williams.

Only breaking character after crashing with Bottas last year.

He's just more in the spotlight now and more people have more interest in hearing him talk.

Between this needless criticism and his moody disrespectful response to being asked about Lewis becoming a 7x wdc in 2020, I'm seeing a side of Lando that's a bit sshitty and ironically I'm sure hes had just as much PR training.
I can summerise all you said about George simply. He is what we call a "yes" / PR man. He seems to have the same phases at the start of the weekend and reels them off throughout the weekend. i agree with Norris, now he doesn;t speak his mind and is more concerned with running the corporate line. He is starting to become annoying. Thats why we call him George "Thunderbirds" Russell. :D
My point is that this has been George possibly since before he even joined Williams.

The man wore a suit and tie to meet Merc bosses and showed them a flipping PowerPoint presentation of why he thinks they should sign him.

This is George. Its always been George.

People jumping on this "PR George" thing just haven't really been paying attention imo.
I don’t understand what the issue is. George has always been the same George to me. Not quite sure what Norris is on about. Norris comes across as a goofball to me. I guess he wants george to be the same? Who cares? Just shut up and drive ffs.