2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1jcw
f1jcw

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

Silent Storm wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 23:49
AMG.Tzan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 23:44
chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 23:39

Says who?
Really??

First of all Perez can't even match Verstapen under normal circumstances! But even if he did, Marko and Horner are fully behind Verstapen so they won't let anyone wind him up and make him make mistakes! Remember what happened with Ricciardo...

Red Bull never supports both of its drivers! They did the same thing with Vettel back in the day even though Webber was fully in the championship fight...
Redbull supports the faster driver. Supported Vettel when he was fast then Ricciardo when he was beating Vettel and now Max. This is much better than what Ferrari are doing with Charles.
Maybe they do, but they set the order at the beginning or are we forgetting them to change order a few races back when they wasn't in any danger.

Much better than Ferrari? Not for the fans or for sporting value.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

fritticaldi wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 23:59
There are high res pics circulating on the web showing Guanyou Zhou roll bar sheered off when the car was inverted! Is it the housing compartment of the camera that weakens the structure of the roll bar ?

I think it's simply that it's a piece of CF that has been run along an abrasive surface (tarmac) at over 100mph with 3/4t of car pushing down on it. It's been worn away.

Alternatively, it sheared off in the initial inverted impact with the track - I doubt it's designed for such a violent impact.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

fritticaldi

The roll bar is supposed to withstand a load of 50kN laterally, 60 kN longitudinally in a rearward direction and 90kN vertically . The FIA will need to increase the resistance ASAP. This is worrisome.

west52keep64

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 00:11
fritticaldi wrote:
There are high res pics circulating on the web showing Guanyou Zhou roll bar sheered off when the car was inverted! Is it the housing compartment of the camera that weakens the structure of the roll bar ?
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/9 ... 4_zhou.jpg

I think it's simply that it's a piece of CF that has been run along an abrasive surface (tarmac) at over 100mph with 3/4t of car pushing down on it. It's been worn away.

Alternatively, it sheared off in the initial inverted impact with the track - I doubt it's designed for such a violent impact.
The roll hoop is metal. It looks like in this case it was snapped off the tub rather than being worn down. I have been wondering if the "blade" design of their roll hoop was a contributing factor in this.

fritticaldi

Just_a_fan wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:

Yes this pic is representative of what i stated earlier . Thanks for posting

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

west52keep64 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 00:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:

The roll hoop is metal. It looks like in this case it was snapped off the tub rather than being worn down. I have been wondering if the "blade" design of their roll hoop was a contributing factor in this.
Are they mandated to be metal? There certainly used to be CF roll hoops in F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

chrisc90

Jolle
Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 00:35
west52keep64 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 00:20
Just_a_fan wrote:

Are they mandated to be metal? There certainly used to be CF roll hoops in F1.
Both are used I think in F1. A aluminium roll hoop is cheaper, both in the structure itself but also allows for a smaller oven for the rest of the chassis.
My guess that the sparks here are from the metal honeycomb inside the carbon structure, not a metal roll hoop.

ringo

AMG.Tzan wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 23:44
chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 23:39
Hammerfist wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 23:34

He is not allowed to win unless verstappen is out of it. Wont happen.
Says who?
Really??

First of all Perez can't even match Verstapen under normal circumstances! But even if he did, Marko and Horner are fully behind Verstapen so they won't let anyone wind him up and make him make mistakes! Remember what happened with Ricciardo...

Red Bull never supports both of its drivers! They did the same thing with Vettel back in the day even though Webber was fully in the championship fight...
Oh now i remember. Checo actually had a chance to attack Max at the first lap and he chose instead to back off and block Leclerc.
He is truly Max's butler. He really doesnt want to challenge Max anyway. He may have some contract sweeteners that pay him more if he isnt champion.
For Sure!!

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:50
ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:45
Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:27

Hamilton is the best driver of his generation but a sore loser and most of his acts of sportsmanship are for the cameras. His true self often gets revealed in high pressure scenarios or when one of his rivals/nemesis has a bad day. I was not surprised at his little potshot at Max. Last year, the crash was completely his fault and to belittle Max about it on a bad day for him while a hostile crowd was booing him was all part of the Hamilton show and typically him.

I still remember last year how he was desperate to suck up to the crowd at Zandvoort and the moment anyone boos him how he and his fans get all sensitive.

He is one of the many great sportsman who are very bitter and sour and I think it is honestly okay because sportsman are competitive and all that but his portrayal as this holy messiah is pure BS.
You come across as the bitter and sour one with these baseless statements about true self. Almost as if you are profiling the poor guy.

Listen to the pit radio, and you will know which driver gets miserable when there is a little problem with the car or another competitor challenges him.

A little spec of debris panicked him and destroyed his race.

What if he lost a wheel? Where is the bitterness? :lol:

I don't care about Verstappen. I just have an opinion on Hamilton and you can't simply stomach it. You can go ahead and have an opinion on Vettel. I can't change that. May be you should just accept that Hamilton isn't as appealing to everyone as you. In my opinion, he is a hypocrite and that's that.

If he is of any relevance at Zandvoort and the Netherlands crowd can be very nasty then I totally expect him to suck up to them or play the victim. Forget Max who beat him in an inferior car last year, he is getting convincingly eaten up by George at the moment.
Utterly biased opinion, which in itself is normal but to actually type this drivel? He was robbed last year while racing a guy most on the grid describe as super aggressive at best, disrespectful and uncompromising by many (we saw how he's treated Schumacher today, Vettel, Raikkonen... the most chill guy for effs sake). Yet he had the dignity to walk up and congratulate Max in that fiasco of a race, went away and said nothing for months. Is he not allowed to voice his opinion about Max's racing tactics today? Where were you when Max had a dig at him for joining the bid for Chelsea?
Might I add that for all the rage, not one peep has been said by you describing certain comments by a certain wing of bitter old men against Hamilton... couldn't wait to hit the keys on this tough.
Let him be booed in Zandvoort... the thing is he's dealt with worse.
Last edited by rifrafs2kees on 04 Jul 2022, 01:34, edited 2 times in total.

ringo

Good race by Alonso by the way. Lando did well in such a slower car too.

Mick finaly got points. He has been showing some speed in qualy of late.

Torro Rosso is doing very poorly.
For Sure!!

QLDriver
QLDriver

It would be interesting to see a sequence of images/video showing how the roll hoop failed; I.e. did it fail by the structure being overloaded or just through being worn away, because those would likely require very different solutions.

QLDriver wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 01:17
It would be interesting to see a sequence of images/video showing how the roll hoop failed; I.e. did it fail by the structure being overloaded or just through being worn away, because those would likely require very different solutions.
It sheared off, and there’s some debate as to whether it ‘failed’. Scarbs thinks it did it’s job taking the initial impact.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

"then the other measures kicked in to safeguard the drivers exposed head"

Yeah but, surely the roll hoop working properly means the drivers head is never exposed in a situation where the car is inverted?

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Motor racing and Formula One at its best!