2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
QLDriver
QLDriver

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

“Sheared off” implies that it failed in shear (which seems unlikely to me), but it would be interesting to know what the failure analysis shows; it may be that making a substantial enough part to prevent a failure would be unfeasible, but that resisting the initial impact is considered performing to specification. And when I say “failed”, I really just mean “broke”.
[edit]

This sequence seems to show that it was a progressive failure, rather than an instantaneous overload (which suggests that the part probably performed to specification!), so the issue was that it isn’t specified to resist sliding upside down with the weight of the car on it, which does seem like a reasonable limitation.

GrizzleBoy wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 01:45
"then the other measures kicked in to safeguard the drivers exposed head"

Yeah but, surely the roll hoop working properly means the drivers head is never exposed in a situation where the car is inverted?
I don’t think so, it’s not infinitely strong.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

QLDriver wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 02:12
“Sheared off” implies that it failed in shear (which seems unlikely to me), but it would be interesting to know what the failure analysis shows; it may be that making a substantial enough part to prevent a failure would be unfeasible, but that resisting the initial impact is considered performing to specification. And when I say “failed”, I really just mean “broke”.
[edit]

This sequence seems to show that it was a progressive failure, rather than an instantaneous overload (which suggests that the part probably performed to specification!), so the issue was that it isn’t specified to resist sliding upside down with the weight of the car on it, which does seem like a reasonable limitation.
Yeah, that’s how I see it too.

Watto
Watto

rifrafs2kees wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 01:13
Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:50
ringo wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 21:45

You come across as the bitter and sour one with these baseless statements about true self. Almost as if you are profiling the poor guy.

Listen to the pit radio, and you will know which driver gets miserable when there is a little problem with the car or another competitor challenges him.

A little spec of debris panicked him and destroyed his race.

What if he lost a wheel? Where is the bitterness? :lol:

I don't care about Verstappen. I just have an opinion on Hamilton and you can't simply stomach it. You can go ahead and have an opinion on Vettel. I can't change that. May be you should just accept that Hamilton isn't as appealing to everyone as you. In my opinion, he is a hypocrite and that's that.

If he is of any relevance at Zandvoort and the Netherlands crowd can be very nasty then I totally expect him to suck up to them or play the victim. Forget Max who beat him in an inferior car last year, he is getting convincingly eaten up by George at the moment.
Utterly biased opinion, which in itself is normal but to actually type this drivel? He was robbed last year while racing a guy most on the grid describe as super aggressive at best, disrespectful and uncompromising by many (we saw how he's treated Schumacher today, Vettel, Raikkonen... the most chill guy for effs sake). Yet he had the dignity to walk up and congratulate Max in that fiasco of a race, went away and said nothing for months. Is he not allowed to voice his opinion about Max's racing tactics today? Where were you when Max had a dig at him for joining the bid for Chelsea?
Might I add that for all the rage, not one peep has been said by you describing certain comments by a certain wing of bitter old men against Hamilton... couldn't wait to hit the keys on this tough.
Let him be booed in Zandvoort... the thing is he's dealt with worse.
I think both sides had some bias, Max is very aggressive for sure and pushes the limits more often but they all in some ways have some 'entitlement' when things aren't going their way, stuck behing a slower team mate, disagreeing wth pit some general complaining. Don't think you can single out a single driver for that more, I really don't have an issue with any of them doing it sometimes its just their way of dealing with the pressure we often see a little 2 second glimpse into things.

The whole Max/Lewis thing as an example, they have their moments on the track but off it I think they have each others back pretty well; the fans make far more of the rivalry than the drivers themselves. Pick out a little incident of one little comment and blow it out of proportion.

Lewis is no doubt more Mature than Max, but some of that comes with age; I think Maxs driving had mellowed a little over time makes far less mistakes now, the 'crashspphen' thing isn't too reverent. But we seen a few minutes footage in what can be days and weeks of buildup

langedweil

Shrieker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:51
Point being Max rarely races fairly, most of the time just tries to drive thru people, and is hailed as a great racer. That guy is just flat out dirty whenever he feels like it, and no one dares penalize him adequately. He was more to blame for what happened last year.

Red Bull again had special treatment this race. How come Perez was not penalized after overtaking Leclerc by blatantly going out of the track limits. And Max squeezed Mick out of road not once, but twice.
It just doesn't stop, does it ?
Post after post after post ..
Years ago I thought your posts were quite contributing, but these days ..
HuggaWugga !

Shrieker

langedweil wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:03
Shrieker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:51
Point being Max rarely races fairly, most of the time just tries to drive thru people, and is hailed as a great racer. That guy is just flat out dirty whenever he feels like it, and no one dares penalize him adequately. He was more to blame for what happened last year.

Red Bull again had special treatment this race. How come Perez was not penalized after overtaking Leclerc by blatantly going out of the track limits. And Max squeezed Mick out of road not once, but twice.
It just doesn't stop, does it ?
Post after post after post ..
Years ago I thought your posts were quite contributing, but these days ..
Do you have anything to say about red bull drivers blatantly breaking the rules and getting the 'no investigation necessary' ?

What do they have to do to get penalized ? Is it racing when different drivers/teams race to different rules ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

e30ernest
e30ernest

Looking at this:

Zhou was very lucky there was no fire.

Good on the Halo again though. Definitely saved him there.

That was an exciting race. Ferrari made some really questionable calls here. Ferrari should have either let them race, or directed one to let the other go earlier on. That said, , I am really happy Sainz took his first win. Hopefully this will give him more confidence in the future and see his pace come closer (if not better than) Leclerc's.

Bad luck for Max in this race. The Red Bulls were the fastest cars today but they unfortunately were not able to capitalize. It would be really interesting if for some reason, Perez starts closing into the points further. I doubt Red Bull will let them race (they will probably still side with Max). Not saying Perez can beat Max when he's top of his game, but a string of bad luck can definitely bring Perez into the championship race.

Glad to see the Mercs back up in pace. They are still behind Red Bull and Ferrari, but they are much closer now. Lewis grabbing the fastest lap at the end of the race shows there is pace to the car. Hopefully they get up there so we can get a 3-way fight.

langedweil

f1jcw wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:47
PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:46
Perez is really shaping into a championship contender now. He may not have the ultimate speed but he could have the luck to steal it!
He isn't allowed.
No, he's just not that good enough ..
You know that, but still the effort for that post ..
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

Shrieker wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:43
Do you have anything to say about red bull drivers blatantly breaking the rules and getting the 'no investigation necessary' ?

What do they have to do to get penalized ? Is it racing when different drivers/teams race to different rules ?
Ehm, no .. not really.
I'm simply of the opinion that hard racing is great independent of the driver(s). Just like Charles and Max battled on this same track a while ago, just after Charles learnt something in Austria. Or like todays squirmish right after the SC.
I really condemn all rulesets by nature, just let the Silverbacks squibble for the top .. divide & conquer, last-man-standing etc.
On top of that, I'd like to see the power-to-weight increas to at least 2:1 (so about 1600hp nowadays) just to have the biggest balls on the top step.
But maybe I'm just more of a Running Man / Rollerball kind of guy than average ..
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

(double)
Last edited by langedweil on 04 Jul 2022, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

Mr Alcatraz

chrisc90 wrote:

Personally, I dont think we should be giving these protesters the oppertunity of air time to a global platform. Which was clearly their aim today. Well done Sky for not showing it, aside from in teds notebook after the race. I wonder if it would make people question the integrity of F1 if people can easily run onto the track, especially when the police, venue, and F1 knew there was a high risk of it happening. Should never of even got onto the track IMHO.
It happened 20 years ago .

https://images.app.goo.gl/QGwDi7NDVjst25xx9

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry !

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Shrieker

Ye i remember this crazy dude. Irish priest, wasn't he ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mr Alcatraz

Yep , defrocked Irish priest.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Crofty was good too in retrospect; good tone accompanying the on-track skirmishes which will age pretty well imo. I don’t know why he’s so disliked, he does a good job.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Poleman wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:33
Hamilton had a very good shot at the win with the hard tire until Ocon triggered the SC and Sky commentators said SC played to his hands beautifully! Penalties are due i doubt Perez will keep second place.
He was barely able to overtake leclerc on new soft tire, but you think he had a very good shot of overtaking sainz, catching up with leclerc and then overtaking him on hard tire. I believe he would end at P2.