2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1jcw

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

langedweil wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:49
f1jcw wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:47
PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:46
Perez is really shaping into a championship contender now. He may not have the ultimate speed but he could have the luck to steal it!
He isn't allowed.
No, he's just not that good enough ..
You know that, but still the effort for that post ..
That’s why Redbull used team order to swap positions, you know that he isn’t allowed to beat Max when Max is behind.

chrisc90

f1jcw wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 09:22
langedweil wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

He isn't allowed.
That’s why Redbull used team order to swap positions, you know that he isn’t allowed to beat Max when Max is behind.
Same as most other teams tbh. Valterri and Lewis used to do it. For example austria where they inverted the cars into turn 3.

No good just picking 1 team out because of your personal agenda against them

Aesop

f1jcw wrote:
langedweil wrote:
f1jcw wrote:

He isn't allowed.
Erm Monaco 2022 anyone?

Spoutnik

sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 08:59
Poleman wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:33
Hamilton had a very good shot at the win with the hard tire until Ocon triggered the SC and Sky commentators said SC played to his hands beautifully! Penalties are due i doubt Perez will keep second place.

He was barely able to overtake leclerc on new soft tire, but Nyou think he had a very good shot of overtaking sainz, catching up with leclerc and then overtaking him on hard tire. I believe he would end at P2.
This Merc is not good at warming up the tyre and the straight line speed made the job easy for Perez and Leclerc to fight back. I would also add Leclerc and Perez made some very questionable defensive move if we follow the rules...
This Merc - when they got it right - is good on very long stint. You saw the second phase of Hamilton’s first stint, it was truly impressive. I think the could've played a bit with Charles for the victory without the SC.

f1jcw

Aesop wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 09:42
f1jcw wrote:
langedweil wrote:

Erm Monaco 2022 anyone?
Max wasn't directly behind, so

chrisc90

f1jcw wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 10:01
Aesop wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 09:42
f1jcw wrote:

Erm Monaco 2022 anyone?
Max wasn't directly behind, so
Which teams don’t execute team orders these days?

henry

e30ernest wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:48
Looking at this:

Zhou was very lucky there was no fire.

Good on the Halo again though. Definitely saved him there.
It was not luck that prevented a fire. After Grosjean’s crash there was a thorough investigation into why the fire occurred and how it might be prevented. New requirements were made, and implemented. Maybe they didn’t apply here but it’s the same attitude and process that meant the halo was fitted, the catch fencing was positioned and adequate, the equipment and personnel were on hand to attend to him and much more.

We should be praising the people who analyse the risks, propose solutions, legislate for them and those who implement them. But there will be many more posts on this forum with “boo hoo the cars are too heavy” than “well done Everyone for keeping the drivers safe”.

He is lucky to be racing when safety is taken seriously.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

maxxer

renault rs26 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:47
maxxer wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:30
wogx wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:24
They weren't lying, he could left up to 10 car lenghts to Leclerc
What nonsense you have to keep within 10 car lengths beteween the safety car thats a rule.
They can't overtake under SC. Without rule you would be able to push everyone behind until driver ahead lap everyone and easily win.
Yes so what was the team asking to have one car backing up the rest so their first car would have a major gap ?

DChemTech

maxxer wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 10:24
renault rs26 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:47
maxxer wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:30

What nonsense you have to keep within 10 car lengths beteween the safety car thats a rule.
They can't overtake under SC. Without rule you would be able to push everyone behind until driver ahead lap everyone and easily win.
Yes so what was the team asking to have one car backing up the rest so their first car would have a major gap ?
Yep, nice tactics eh?

e30ernest

henry wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 10:10
e30ernest wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:48
Looking at this:

Zhou was very lucky there was no fire.

Good on the Halo again though. Definitely saved him there.
It was not luck that prevented a fire. After Grosjean’s crash there was a thorough investigation into why the fire occurred and how it might be prevented. New requirements were made, and implemented. Maybe they didn’t apply here but it’s the same attitude and process that meant the halo was fitted, the catch fencing was positioned and adequate, the equipment and personnel were on hand to attend to him and much more.

We should be praising the people who analyse the risks, propose solutions, legislate for them and those who implement them. But there will be many more posts on this forum with “boo hoo the cars are too heavy” than “well done Everyone for keeping the drivers safe”.

He is lucky to be racing when safety is taken seriously.
I agree it's due to learning from past accidents that cars have become this safe. I do think there are a few takeaways from this crash as well though.

That catch fencing looks mighty close to the barrier. Sure there was no fire now, but there will always be a possibility of fire IMO (even on Grosjean's crash people were surprised that his car caught fire) and that catch fencing being that close to the barrier pretty much sandwiched the car making extraction harder.

One thing I don't understand is how the roll hoop also seems to have been sheared off. I don't remember this being the case on older F1 cars. When this car rolled, the only thing protecting Zhou's head was the Halo.

Some taller drivers did have their heads sticking out a bit from the Halo which brings me to how the roll hoop vs driver's head was measured:

In Zhou's crash, I do think the roll hoop failed to do its job. It's not meant to be a collapsible component. Perhaps the 3D printed hoops (like in the Alfa) are not as good.

Mogster

Zhou’s car did slide a long way inverted, the energy through the roll hoop must have been incredible. Although maybe the roll hoop breaking off led to the car being more stable upside down.

Wouter

DChemTech wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:27
Shrieker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:24
mzivtins wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:20
The way the cars world work last year meant massive aero wash caused understeer in hamiltons car from the outwash from verstappens car.

Racing incident and it was awarded with a penalty. Done and dusted.
I did the analysis here last year, and there was no significant understeer either, if at all. They're never gonna let this die. In their minds, Hamilton punted him off and won the race.
"they" are never gonna let it go... yet the first one to bring it up was, to my knowledge, a Hamilton supporter, as were most of the subsequent comments. Who is not going to let it go, exactly?
Done and dusted?? Not according to Sir Lewis Hamilton.
SILVERSTONE, England -- Lewis Hamilton praised Charles Leclerc after their epic fight for position at the British Grand Prix and said it was a lot more sensible than his battle with Max Verstappen in 2021.

Hamilton and Leclerc fought wheel-to-wheel for third position over three incredible laps at the dramatic conclusion of the race.

At one stage, Leclerc reclaimed position around the outside of Copse, the same point of the track where Hamilton and Verstappen controversially collided last year.

Like that incident, Hamilton had the inside line again but Leclerc passed around the outside without contact, something the seven-time world championship was quick to reference after the race.

"Charles did a great job, what a great battle. He is a very sensible driver,
clearly a lot different to what I experienced last year,"
Hamilton told Sky Sports after the race.
"At Copse for example, the two of us went through there with no problem.
What a battle. Really, really amazing weekend."

Last year, the FIA appeared to lay the blame for the incident with Hamilton, handing him a 10-second penalty during the race.

The Power of Dreams!

chrisc90

Wouter wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 11:47
DChemTech wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:27
Shrieker wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 19:24

I did the analysis here last year, and there was no significant understeer either, if at all. They're never gonna let this die. In their minds, Hamilton punted him off and won the race.
"they" are never gonna let it go... yet the first one to bring it up was, to my knowledge, a Hamilton supporter, as were most of the subsequent comments. Who is not going to let it go, exactly?
Done and dusted?? Not according to Sir Lewis Hamilton.
SILVERSTONE, England -- Lewis Hamilton praised Charles Leclerc after their epic fight for position at the British Grand Prix and said it was a lot more sensible than his battle with Max Verstappen in 2021.

Hamilton and Leclerc fought wheel-to-wheel for third position over three incredible laps at the dramatic conclusion of the race.

At one stage, Leclerc reclaimed position around the outside of Copse, the same point of the track where Hamilton and Verstappen controversially collided last year.

Like that incident, Hamilton had the inside line again but Leclerc passed around the outside without contact, something the seven-time world championship was quick to reference after the race.

"Charles did a great job, what a great battle. He is a very sensible driver,
clearly a lot different to what I experienced last year,"
Hamilton told Sky Sports after the race.
"At Copse for example, the two of us went through there with no problem.
What a battle. Really, really amazing weekend."

Last year, the FIA appeared to lay the blame for the incident with Hamilton, handing him a 10-second penalty during the race.

https://preview.redd.it/0dnse3kpyd991.p ... 17e9497b5d

I thought that comment was a little odd too. Bit of a low dig.

wogx

Was there an official opinion from stewards about Zhou's crash? Russell's fault? Gasly's fault? Racing accident?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

e30ernest

wogx wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 12:02
Was there an official opinion from stewards about Zhou's crash? Russell's fault? Gasly's fault? Racing accident?
Deemed a racing incident. I recalled seeing a no further investigation message shown on the screen.