2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
henry

Re: 2022 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 01 - 03

+1 for @Sieper’s point of view. Lower kinetic energy is matched by lower ground pressure, and hence friction to slow the car. They need to look again at the regulations around roll hoops. I’m sure they will.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Big Tea

I was at Silverstone one year and Deric Warwick hit the board in front of us in his Renault at around that spot. My self and wife were showered with muddy water. No harm luckily, but it is all much safer now it is several feet higher and much further back. I am surprised it still travels that far but they can never account for everything I suppose.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bosyber
bosyber

Another article on it - from Gary Anderson, but not on aero so it's actually informative and - a solid analysis (many similar/same points as above video, but a more structured timeline view of what happened, with matching pics).https://the-race.com/formula-1/gary-and ... ror-shunt/

One additional point he rightly makes it that w/o the roll-structure there, it's basically the car spinning on the Halo, which holds, and behind that the carbon of the tub that's grinding away with the full fuel tank just behind (under, or with flipped car, above) that, which, well let's indeed be happy that the tub seems solid enough to deal with a crash like this, but also, sheesh, does the FIA and Alpha need to look at what failed there, and with some haste!

sosic2121
sosic2121

Spoutnik wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 09:46
sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 08:59
Poleman wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:33
Hamilton had a very good shot at the win with the hard tire until Ocon triggered the SC and Sky commentators said SC played to his hands beautifully! Penalties are due i doubt Perez will keep second place.

He was barely able to overtake leclerc on new soft tire, but Nyou think he had a very good shot of overtaking sainz, catching up with leclerc and then overtaking him on hard tire. I believe he would end at P2.
This Merc is not good at warming up the tyre and the straight line speed made the job easy for Perez and Leclerc to fight back. I would also add Leclerc and Perez made some very questionable defensive move if we follow the rules...
This Merc - when they got it right - is good on very long stint. You saw the second phase of Hamilton’s first stint, it was truly impressive. I think the could've played a bit with Charles for the victory without the SC.
He was impressive compared to Sainz, and I believe he would probably be able to overtake Carlos "can Charles give me DRS" Sainz.
But Leclerc had same pace as Lewis, he was some 4-5s in front of him and had Carlos"I won't give Charles 10 car length because I'm a...ole" Sainz between them.
If Lewis managed to get Leclerc at SC restart to have him as a buffer to Perez, then he could put pressure on Carlos "slow as f..., but still very selfish" Sainz and possibly even win the race.

renault rs26
renault rs26

maxxer wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 10:24
renault rs26 wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:47
maxxer wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 18:30

What nonsense you have to keep within 10 car lengths beteween the safety car thats a rule.
They can't overtake under SC. Without rule you would be able to push everyone behind until driver ahead lap everyone and easily win.
Yes so what was the team asking to have one car backing up the rest so their first car would have a major gap ?
They asked him to back up others but to keep in mind he needs to be less than 10 cars behind Leclerrc.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Perhaps the FIA just needs to mandate a triangular style roll hoop in future. That and a separate "scrape plate" on the top of the tub in this location to prevent a future similar accident resulting in a worn-through tub / fuel tank. I hadn't thought about the fuel tank but imagine that being punctured and spraying burning fuel over the crowd as well as on the trapped, and thus doomed, driver. What was held up as a great testament to F1's safety would have been contesting von Trips's terrible Monza accident in 1961 as the worst-ever F1 crash.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 15:24
Spoutnik wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 08:59

He was barely able to overtake leclerc on new soft tire, but Nyou think he had a very good shot of overtaking sainz, catching up with leclerc and then overtaking him on hard tire. I believe he would end at P2.
This Merc is not good at warming up the tyre and the straight line speed made the job easy for Perez and Leclerc to fight back. I would also add Leclerc and Perez made some very questionable defensive move if we follow the rules...
This Merc - when they got it right - is good on very long stint. You saw the second phase of Hamilton’s first stint, it was truly impressive. I think the could've played a bit with Charles for the victory without the SC.
He was impressive compared to Sainz, and I believe he would probably be able to overtake Carlos "can Charles give me DRS" Sainz.
But Leclerc had same pace as Lewis, he was some 4-5s in front of him and had Carlos"I won't give Charles 10 car length because I'm a...ole" Sainz between them.
If Lewis managed to get Leclerc at SC restart to have him as a buffer to Perez, then he could put pressure on Carlos "slow as f..., but still very selfish" Sainz and possibly even win the race.
I don’t know, but is it safe to conclude you do not like C. Sainz Jr. very much?

langedweil

f1jcw wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 09:22
langedweil wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 03:49
f1jcw wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 22:47

He isn't allowed.
No, he's just not that good enough ..
You know that, but still the effort for that post ..
That’s why Redbull used team order to swap positions, you know that he isn’t allowed to beat Max when Max is behind.
Oh well ...
HuggaWugga !

Schuttelberg

Can anyone explain how Norris just lost 1 position and why Leclerc like him didn't minimise the damage by pitting on the next lap? Is it to do with SC deltas and gaps?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 15:36
Perhaps the FIA just needs to mandate a triangular style roll hoop in future. That and a separate "scrape plate" on the top of the tub in this location to prevent a future similar accident resulting in a worn-through tub / fuel tank. I hadn't thought about the fuel tank but imagine that being punctured and spraying burning fuel over the crowd as well as on the trapped, and thus doomed, driver. What was held up as a great testament to F1's safety would have been contesting von Trips's terrible Monza accident in 1961 as the worst-ever F1 crash.
They need to mandate that the roll structure is bolted directly to the tub, not bonded. And mandate a suitable sheer strength for said bolts.

Sieper

Very much agreed. The drivers need the optimal chance to get out. I really can’t imagine this really going wrong and that chance is not imaginary.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Sieper wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 16:53
sosic2121 wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

I don’t know, but is it safe to conclude you do not like C. Sainz Jr. very much?
I actually liked him till yesterday. I thought he is 4.5/5 driver till this season and I thought he's a team player till he pushed his teammate wide twice, while this one was vulnerable and needed his help.

I'm ferrari fan, not CL or CS fan. He went against his team yesterday.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

IMO that crash, while it had a happy end, was an embarrassment for F1. The roll hoop just flying off like an endplate is an absolute no-go.

Also they need to step up their fire-fighter game. Imagine there had been a fire. No extinguishers anywhere near. This is not acceptable for the highest class of motorsport.

Sieper

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 18:47
IMO that crash, while it had a happy end, was an embarrassment for F1. The roll hoop just flying off like an endplate is an absolute no-go.

Also they need to step up their fire-fighter game. Imagine there had been a fire. No extinguishers anywhere near. This is not acceptable for the highest class of motorsport.
Do we think serious action will be taken? If not, what is the best way to ensure it does?

Sieper

sosic2121 wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 18:39
Sieper wrote:
04 Jul 2022, 16:53
sosic2121 wrote:

I actually liked him till yesterday. I thought he is 4.5/5 driver till this season and I thought he's a team player till he pushed his teammate wide twice, while this one was vulnerable and needed his help.

I'm ferrari fan, not CL or CS fan. He went against his team yesterday.
He did. I must admit I don’t have any pushing CL off track actions clear for my eyes, but he was fighting for his own win for sure. He also nearly put Max in the wall at the restart and pushed him off track (officially not allowed right) several times.

There were a few moments that surprised me. In qualy Charles did not keep to the track when it mattered most (cost Max the pole) while Carlos took it fair and square. And after Carlos was pitted leclerc could not decrease his laptimes. Probably as his tires were gone due to sitting behind Sainz, but still, I was really expecting him to pick up the pace. It surprised me a bit.

The 10 cars at the restart ask was imho a bit of a stretch.