EU now says Nuclear is "green".

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Zynerji

EU now says Nuclear is "green".

Didn't see that coming after systematically shutting them down for years... πŸ™„

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/0 ... en-energy/

McL-H

Re: EU now says Nuclear is "green".

It is very green energy and we should have switched to nuclear a long time ago.

sosic2121

McL-H wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2022, 18:43
+1
It's greener then a green peace :lol:

It's our only option. Hydro is limited, wind and sun are basically a scam. But this is BIG surprise.

chrisc90

Just need them to wake up about these electric cars being 'green' now.

NL_Fer

Yeah they should have a long time ago. Now it is just to expensive to build a plant from scratch and I doubt it will ever reach the end if it’s predicted service life.

TimW

Disgusting. I perfectly understand that we will need them (gas and nuclear) as a transition, and nuclear probably for a long time, but calling them green is outright lying. It's hiding reality from the people and giving companies excuses to continue in the old polluting ways.

And solar and wind are certainly not a scam, but also not 100% green at the moment.

Just_a_fan

Isn't "green" really just shorthand for "low CO2 producing" rather than "able to create a utopian world where everyone is vegan and the bunnies are fluffy".

Nuke is "green" in terms of its in-use pollution generation, especially CO2. Not so "green" during the build phase or during decommissioning, of course. It's also jolly safe in terms of lives lost.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NL_Fer

Green means for eligible for EU subsidies. That is like taking money from hard working EU citizens and give it away to multinational Gas and Power companies.

TimW

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2022, 20:37
Isn't "green" really just shorthand for "low CO2 producing" rather than "able to create a utopian world where everyone is vegan and the bunnies are fluffy".

Nuke is "green" in terms of its in-use pollution generation, especially CO2. Not so "green" during the build phase or during decommissioning, of course. It's also jolly safe in terms of lives lost.
Nuclear is about 4% of energy production now, fossil is 80%. I have some doubts that a 20 fold increase in nuclear is desirable.

But pointing out the problems is easy, solving them is the challenge.

DChemTech

NL_Fer wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2022, 20:58
Green means for eligible for EU subsidies. That is like taking money from hard working EU citizens and give it away to multinational Gas and Power companies.
Yes. But yeah, otherwise they give it to farmers.

I'd rather see fair, pollution-including prices on fossil fuels, and no structural subsidies on alternatives (development subsidies is something else, but conventional nuclear is mature tech). Let the market sort that out; if the pollution-pricing is fair, wind and solar should be properly competitive in most cases. Not sure if nuclear is considered feasible then, due to the high construction costs.

TimW

DChemTech wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2022, 21:19
NL_Fer wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2022, 20:58
Yes. But yeah, otherwise they give it to farmers.

I'd rather see fair, pollution-including prices on fossil fuels, and no structural subsidies on alternatives (development subsidies is something else, but conventional nuclear is mature tech). Let the market sort that out; if the pollution-pricing is fair, wind and solar should be properly competitive in most cases. Not sure if nuclear is considered feasible then, due to the high construction costs.
Actually, weird as it may sound, fossil fuels are still subsidized. (By about 300 billion in 2017 according to the IMF.... https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... as/589000/)

PlatinumZealot

Modular Nuclear will be the future if fuels are every exhausted, and nuclear winters become a thing so it's important for manking to get practicing!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Sieper

Russia is now placing troops, tanks, artillery ON the Zaporizhia Nuclear power plant terrain. So they have a free firing base that nobody can touch.

It is a consideration when building these things. They are vulnerable in war time.

A few years ago I thought war in developed countries was just economical not feasible anymore. But apparently war is still always an option.

proteus

Sieper wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2022, 22:09
Russia is now placing troops, tanks, artillery ON the Zaporizhia Nuclear power plant terrain. So they have a free firing base that nobody can touch.

It is a consideration when building these things. They are vulnerable in war time.

A few years ago I thought war in developed countries was just economical not feasible anymore. But apparently war is still always an option.
You forgot contagieus diseases. Last 2 years have showed us everything is possible.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

sosic2121 wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2022, 18:52
+1
It's greener then a green peace :lol:

It's our only option. Hydro is limited, wind and sun are basically a scam. But this is BIG surprise.
Isnt there only for about 100 years of nuclear material for use in plants? So it is just a stop gap measure, but not much more.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows