Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Ced
Ced

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

FDD wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 15:46
If this info is true then that is a positive one

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-re ... /10337581/
One thing is sure nugnes can be sometimes unreliable

mzso

FDD wrote:

Isn't there a rule against slapping in links in a different language, without further info?
There should be.

hurril

mzso wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 17:15
FDD wrote:

Isn't there a rule against slapping in links in a different language, without further info?
There should be.
Use a translator like the rest of us.

taperoo2k

Ced wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 04:42
DutchPanther wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 01:16
Pure fantasy from skysport
I'd not be surprised given the PU issues Ferrari have had this season, if they've elected to test the new ERS system in the Haas, to gather real world data before they deploy the ERS in it's own cars.

dialtone

taperoo2k wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 21:18
Ced wrote:
DutchPanther wrote:
I'd not be surprised given the PU issues Ferrari have had this season, if they've elected to test the new ERS system in the Haas, to gather real world data before they deploy the ERS in it's own cars.
That in itself isn't surprising, but it's obviously false as it would require homologation, the only one available for ERS, which would be reported by all of the more authoritative journalists like Duchessa or Fabrega.

The story is a total fantasy.

AR3-GP

taperoo2k wrote:
Ced wrote:
DutchPanther wrote:
It's somewhat of an impossibility. The new spec would have to be declared as teams are only permitted the one spec update per season. From then onwards, it's very restrictive what changes can be made. Ferrari wouldn't want to be handicapped in their development due to having the new homologated spec already declared in the Haas and then being heavily restricted in what can be changed afterwards.

taperoo2k

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 21:26
taperoo2k wrote:
Ced wrote:

It's somewhat of an impossibility. The new spec would have to be declared as teams are only permitted the one spec update per season. From then onwards, it's very restrictive what changes can be made. Ferrari wouldn't want to be handicapped in their development due to having the new homologated spec already declared in the Haas and then being heavily restricted in what can be changed afterwards.
The Homologation deadline for the ERS is in September. I would expect by this point the ERS will be nearing completion or be ready to use. If there is anything experimental being used in the Haas then it will have been cleared by the FIA. Could be a tweak to how the ERS is installed or software tweaks.
At some point you have to stop development and commit to what you've got.

The problem for Ferrari is likely the PU reliability taking attention away from the deployment of the new ERS.

AR3-GP

taperoo2k wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 22:42
AR3-GP wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 21:26
taperoo2k wrote:

The Homologation deadline for the ERS is in September. I would expect by this point the ERS will be nearing completion or be ready to use. If there is anything experimental being used in the Haas then it will have been cleared by the FIA. Could be a tweak to how the ERS is installed or software tweaks.
At some point you have to stop development and commit to what you've got.

The problem for Ferrari is likely the PU reliability taking attention away from the deployment of the new ERS.
Do you think Merc/Honda/Renault would let Ferrari use Haas as an "experiment"? I don't think so :lol: It's very unlikely that Haas is doing any different to the main team. The homologation regards hardware and hardware is where the big push is. Software alone is basically unlimited, so it won't become a focus until after September. They need to develop the hardware as far as possible before then.

dialtone

Looks like Ferrari, after having many bad starts, is going to bring an improved clutch to France:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/new-ferr ... ed-starts/
Valtteri Bottas has summarised the problem as “oscillation that comes from the clutch itself and then the way the torque goes to the rear wheels is not consistent”.
“We tend to lose positions on average at the start and that’s not great because the midfield is so tight that once you drop behind somebody, then you’re stuck for like 20 laps and it doesn’t make your life any easier.

“Hopefully now it’s OK.”

Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz couldn’t be drawn on whether Ferrari was running the new clutch but did acknowledge the problem.

“Yeah, we’ve identified an issue on our car this year that is not allowing us to perform the starts that we were doing last year,” Sainz said.

“Probably it’s affecting our fellow engine team-mates. But we know where the problem lies in.

“We’re keeping it very private. We don’t speak a lot about it because it’s not like in every start, we are falling back or anything. But it’s probably not the best start that we can get with this car. And hopefully, we will keep improving it through the year and into next year.”

NL_Fer

taperoo2k wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 22:42

I think it is the other way around. The PU has to be cranked up or set up for lean mixture to save fuel during the race. It looks like their ERS is less efficient than Honda, so Ferrari tries to compensate it with the ICE mapping.

With a better ERS, they can be more efficient and probably be more reliable, because they don’t need to compensate for inefficiently anymore.

dialtone

https://www.formu1a.uno/motori-ferrari- ... idabilita/
“I problemi ci son stati e non si è mai al riparo. Penso che abbiamo capito il problema, seppur non sia ancora stato risolto definitivamente. Lo stiamo gestendo, che significa poter affrontare la gara con la consapevolezza e la tranquillità di finirla senza problemi”.
"We had problems and we're never safe. However I think we understood the problem, even if we've not solved it completely. We're managing it, which means we can enter a race with the confidence and peace of mind that we'll finish it without problems"

Binotto also saying that they should have a new PU with the reliability problem solved before end of the season.

mzso

Why couldn't Leclerc reverse? Any info on that?

dialtone

mzso wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 20:14
Why couldn't Leclerc reverse? Any info on that?
Same reason why Perez wouldn't reverse in Canada.

ispano6

The Ferrari PU seems to burn oil or release a plume of smoke when it goes off throttle. It happens when Sainz almost overtakes Perez at the end of the straight on lap 41. Could it be something to do with the ERS via the MGU-H, spike the temps to charge the battery?

AR3-GP

ispano6 wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 04:11
The Ferrari PU seems to burn oil or release a plume of smoke when it goes off throttle. It happens when Sainz almost overtakes Perez at the end of the straight on lap 41. Could it be something to do with the ERS via the MGU-H, spike the temps to charge the battery?
I didn't think that was the PU. I thought it was the diffuser rubbing on the curbs.