Opinion on 2022 regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Opinion on 2022 regulations

Zynerji wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 01:48
Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 01:03
Zynerji wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 23:53

If it passes the test, it's good to race.

I wish some teams would just get better instead of complaining. 🙄
The ones that complain changes with the ones that are being "clever". Red Bull have done plenty of complaining about stuff over the years. None of them is better than any other in that regard.
I'm just saying in general. I hate it when any team complains about a competitors engineering solutions. If it passes scrutineering, it should be off limits from concern.
I think the issue these days is the teams effectively scrutineer themselves. The FIA might choose to check something at each race (and there are reports that show that they do this) but the teams basically say "my car's legal, honest guv'." and the FIA takes their word. I wonder how easy it is for the FIA to check e.g. floor flex at the track. If they have a rig, it'll be set up to do only the bits in the regs, so a team could make bits around that test point out of jelly and feathers and if the test passes, it's legal. It's been going on forever - think back to the days where teams like Brabham had suspension that passed the test in the paddock and then dropped once out on track. It's not a new thing.

There are only two ways to avoid this problem - a genuine free for all with just FIA-specified safety items or a spec series where everyone has the same kit and no alterations are allowed. Anything in between is going to be subject to gaming of the rules.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

JordanMugen

Vettel mentions a previously undiscussed aspect of the new cars, with the brake ducts exiting to the middle of the car (to reduce outwash), the brake dust is blown into the driver's face.

Vettel says it would be an "easy" fix, but I'm not so sure. To fix the issue would require a moderate change to the rules, for example requiring the brake duct outlet to exit below the front wheel centreline, which would require the teams to all redesign their brake ducts.

Certainly an easy fix for 2023, but it doesn't sound like something that could be cheaply and easily fixed between races with the cost cap constraints. I figure teams would complain about the cost, and below the front wheel centreline is probably a more aerodynamically sensitive area than above it, so the aerodynamicists would complain about the effect the rule change would have on flow around the strakes and around the floor.

wogx

People quickly noticed that Vettel was covered in black dust while doing his media pen interviews too. Rachel Brookes of Sky Sports F1 was quick to ask where it had come from, and it turns out it was from the car’s brake ducts!

“To be honest with you, that is something I think they need to work on because, you know, where the design of the brake ducts this year, the front axle, is blowing all the brake dust into our faces,” Seb reported back.

“It’s not good. Obviously, carbon dust is not really something healthy to breathe in, so I hope the FIA looks into this very soon because it’s pointless and easy to change.”
https://wtf1.com/post/vettel-wants-chan ... brake-dust
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

chrisc90

Did he not have his race suit done up? If suits are to be done up to the collar, I cant see how brake dust will find its way onto his underalls.

mcdenife

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 23:13
Did he not have his race suit done up? If suits are to be done up to the collar, I cant see how brake dust will find its way onto his underalls.
So his nose is below his collar & under his ‘underalls’?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

chrisc90

mcdenife wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 23:59
chrisc90 wrote:
How do you explain the black down from his neck to the Sentinal logo?

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
The race suit isn't hermetically sealed so it's to be expected that dust with a very small particle size might find its way in through a velcro closure.

Somewhat surprising that the issue of brake dust wasn't considered when they moved to mandate inboard brake venting.

As Seb says, breathing in the brake dust will not be beneficial to drivers' health so it should probably be looked at to see if it can be improved.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mcdenife

chrisc90 wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 00:24
mcdenife wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 23:59
chrisc90 wrote:
How do you explain the black down from his neck to the Sentinal logo?
How exactly does his race suit prevent him breathing in carbon brake dust?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Andres125sx

Wow didn´t know. Carbon dust is extremelly toxic, both for the eyes and lungs. Something to be adressed

Stu

Getting off topic here, but if it has been a ‘thing’ since carbon/carbon brakes were introduced (across the whole grid) it is nothing new - although that doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be addressed.
Going way back (to the 50’s) the Vanwall exhausted it’s front brakes through the cockpit (check out pictures of Stirling Moss in period).
The answer is front axle ‘harvesting’ - which would make physical brakes almost redundant (really only required in pit stops).
The blackness isn’t just brake dust though…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Tommy Cookers

Stu wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 08:55
Going way back (to the 50’s) the Vanwall exhausted it’s front brakes through the cockpit (check out pictures of Stirling Moss in period).
the rear brakes (because they're inboard)
and because the cockpit is the low-pressure zone
people might also look at the W196 Mercedes-Benz and 300 SLR

in F1 mechanical brakes will always be needed at high speed - where brake power approaches 10000 hp
unless all braking is forced to be regenerative for some efficiency-formula purpose

JordanMugen

Stu wrote:
The answer is front axle ‘harvesting’ - which would make physical brakes almost redundant (really only required in pit stops).
Would such equipment further increase car weight? :?: [And open the door to all-wheel-drive for that matter...]

I notice fans are already complaining about the weight of 2022 cars even before any further additional equipment is added to the vehicles.

Big Tea

JordanMugen wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 14:02
Stu wrote:
Would such equipment further increase car weight? :?: [And open the door to all-wheel-drive for that matter...]

I notice fans are already complaining about the weight of 2022 cars even before any further additional equipment is added to the vehicles.
More harvesting could lead to smaller battery packs and reduced weight to offset it. It would require a re write of some regs, but as the MGH-H is being dumped, it would be needed anyway.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stu

Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 15:23
JordanMugen wrote:
Stu wrote:

More harvesting could lead to smaller battery packs and reduced weight to offset it. It would require a re write of some regs, but as the MGH-H is being dumped, it would be needed anyway.
That was my line of thinking, smaller batteries (or super-capacitor storage), very high C-rating for fast charge and enough longevity to be considered a ‘boost’ that needs to be deployed strategically.
I won’t be sorry to see the MGU-H go, but would like to see these engines run as NA with a good electrical output.
The other option (if front axle harvesting doesn’t make it) could be to utilise a GU-H in the exhaust.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 19:05
Big Tea wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 15:23
JordanMugen wrote:

That was my line of thinking, smaller batteries (or super-capacitor storage), very high C-rating for fast charge and enough longevity to be considered a ‘boost’ that needs to be deployed strategically.
I won’t be sorry to see the MGU-H go, but would like to see these engines run as NA with a good electrical output.
The other option (if front axle harvesting doesn’t make it) could be to utilise a GU-H in the exhaust.
I doubt they would allow that, the sound is considered dim now, although I find it ideal. A little more 'rip' in it needed maybe, but it is plenty loud enough.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.