2022 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 29 - 31

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
yamahasho

Re: 2022 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 29 - 31

sosic2121 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 12:51
morefirejules08 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 11:36
dxpetrov wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 08:32

Only compared to Ferrari they were close in that race. Max would have sailed off in distance if remained in the race without the broken car. Therefore the relative pace to the front runner would have been the same.
You have no idea what would have happened to max in the race unless of course you have a crystal ball. Anyway you specifically said “Not even close to challenging for the win at any of those tracks..” which isn’t true of silverstone as Hamilton before the SC was challenging for the win
Just the same as he was challenging after the SC.
Without sc he could have been 2nd.
On the safety car, in the past didn’t the pits used to be closed during S/C, can someone refresh my memory when they’re closed or open.

I figure it’s best to close them as it’s unfair to those that already passed the pit lane entrance to start again down the grid or to those who have built a big gap out front.

But opening them does shake things up, I can’t think of many positives to opening the pits during a/c someone school me please.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

Schippke

As many have said, this track screams Ferrari territory. On a straight forward weekend, they SHOULD walk it. But we've all said that before and seen how it ends... more now than ever, they need a 1,2 to keep any hope of a Championship alive. I think Red Bull might have a hard time with Mercedes here, but maybe they've made some progress on their car in the low-medium speed stuff.

In saying that, if it rains... then there's several drivers that would be in a good shot of winning or causing an upset... and naturally if rain comes along, strategy comes into play; Not a Ferrari strong point as of... well, a while now. #-o

Neuron

Last year Mercedes had less drag and much more top speed. RBR had a lot of downforce. And Mercedes was 0.3 faster on quali.
How is it different from this season where RBR has less drag and more speed than Ferrari which has more downforce?
Asking due to a lot of comments that Ferrari should nail this track.

Tvetovnato

Neuron wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:12
Last year Mercedes had less drag and much more top speed. RBR had a lot of downforce. And Mercedes was 0.3 faster on quali.
How is it different from this season where RBR has less drag and more speed than Ferrari which has more downforce?
Asking due to a lot of comments that Ferrari should nail this track.
Last year RB had so much rear downforce that they had trouble balancing it out with getting enough downforce at the front, which led to a lot of understeer that is detrimental on a track like this. Ferrari has worked beautifully on all tracks so far this year, and this should be no exception.

Evo2racer

dialtone wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 19:48
Sevach wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 19:42
I don't know wether he's bullshitting but Max said he expects Ferrari to run away with this one.
Setup issues aside (Miami), not in a single race Ferrari was slower in any kind of corner than any other car. Ferrari is the only competition they have this race.
Why not Mercedes ?

dialtone

Evo2racer wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:38
dialtone wrote:
Sevach wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 19:42
I don't know wether he's bullshitting but Max said he expects Ferrari to run away with this one.
Setup issues aside (Miami), not in a single race Ferrari was slower in any kind of corner than any other car. Ferrari is the only competition they have this race.
Why not Mercedes ?
Question of balance, Mercedes typically has to sacrifice something, plus they aren't that fast in slow corners, see Monaco.

Evo2racer

mclaren111 wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 13:13
LM10 wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 18:37
Ferrari's biggest rival will be Ferrari. Let's see how it turns out this time around.
=D>

:lol:
Well I think we all know the answer of this question!

search

the more bumpy track should also be more of an issue for Mercedes,

I'm not really sure weh should still speak of "slow corners", though. Over the past years, most have more turned into medium corners. Same as formerly fast turns like in Silverstone or Spa have basically become straights for those cars.

yamahasho

Evo2racer wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:44
mclaren111 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 18:37
Ferrari's biggest rival will be Ferrari. Let's see how it turns out this time around.
=D>

I was hoping Sergio could be a spoiler for Ferrari or possibly Max but looks like Sergio is Ruben Baricello 2.0, if RedBull is in fact the fastest car, Sergio could potentially win every race and be champion, but he's settled for 2nd, i see no fight in him other than making sure he doesn't let others get close to Max. Pathetic. I don't even think Max will help him lock up 2nd in the drivers championship, Schmacher only did that when the championship was locked up.

dialtone

yamahasho wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:54
Evo2racer wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:44
mclaren111 wrote:

=D>

I was hoping Sergio could be a spoiler for Ferrari or possibly Max but looks like Sergio is Ruben Baricello 2.0, if RedBull is in fact the fastest car, Sergio could potentially win every race and be champion, but he's settled for 2nd, i see no fight in him other than making sure he doesn't let others get close to Max. Pathetic. I don't even think Max will help him lock up 2nd in the drivers championship, Schmacher only did that when the championship was locked up.
I'm not a Perez or Red Bull supporter, but do you think you could moderate the way you express yourself? Most of your commentary so far has been incendiary. I see no reason to talk about Sergio, or any driver for that matter, in those terms.

Last time I checked, to be an F1 driver in a top team you have to be a super human. Perez is 3rd in the championship.

yamahasho

if Sergio wins this weekend or at least shows he wants to win, he's got a chance to win the championship in the fastest car. If Sergio settles for second or blocks Ferrari from winning, then he deserves no respect just like Rubens. Didn't Alonso leave Mclaren-Mercedes because he didn't want to be 2nd? He had a point.

aleks_ader

dialtone wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 19:41
Evo2racer wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Why not Mercedes ?
Question of balance, Mercedes typically has to sacrifice something, plus they aren't that fast in slow corners, see Monaco.
Well IDK but they got edge in low speed in all races even from Bahrein. Or at least their setup goes in that direction of car strengths. But for that performance window their car have quite a bit of drag. So much drag that they cannot really compete in qually trim where each compromise amplifies even more. Especially this year we got at least another variable into setup window - bouncing. Witch counter act into drag window even more negatively. Because when u try to reduce it u lift body and makes L/D ration even worse.

In race trims last races they are much closer IMO. But this is more compromise of heavy cars and tire limited stints. Maybe even some lacklustre power from size zero radiators or some E10 problems doubles the pain even further. Also setup orientation towards race setups and experimentation doesn't really help its peak performance. Qually setups needs fine tuning and total comintment into car philosophy. It is obvious that car doesnt have constant perfomance window from track to track.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

dialtone

aleks_ader wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 21:38
dialtone wrote:
Evo2racer wrote:

Why not Mercedes ?
Well IDK but they got edge in low speed in all races even from Bahrein. Or at least their setup goes in that direction of car strengths. But for that performance window their car have quite a bit of drag. So much drag that they cannot really compete in qually trim where each compromise amplifies even more. Especially this year we got at least another variable into setup window - bouncing. Witch counter act into drag window even more negatively. Because when u try to reduce it u lift body and makes L/D ration even worse.

In race trims last races they are much closer IMO. But this is more compromise of heavy cars and tire limited stints. Maybe even some lacklustre power from size zero radiators or some E10 problems doubles the pain even further. Also setup orientation towards race setups and experimentation doesn't really help its peak performance. Qually setups needs fine tuning and total comintment into car philosophy. It is obvious that car doesnt have constant perfomance window from track to track.
Seems a bit of a stretch to me to say that Mercs had the edge on slow speed since Bahrain in ALL races. When the track called for high downforce setups, like Barcelona or Monaco, it was the Ferrari that was fastest, here in France Ferrari was 0.6s faster than Ham in S3 alone, even T15 was the only corner where HAM has better minimum speed, but overall was slower on average through it, every single other corner HAM is slower.

Bahrain is still a track with a variety of possible options available, Ferrari had the medium downforce package while Mercs had a high downforce wing so obviously you end up performing better in the slower corners, and it was still just barely better, 2 out of 3 slow corners in Bahrain with less than 1kph difference, 1 out of 3 with 4kph difference, but Ferrari had the better exit out of that corner anyway. So Mercs chose to be better in the corners to keep the tires alive for longer, but that's not an inherent feature of the car.

Silverstone is certainly a different beast, hard to know the true values in the field (VER and LEC both with broken cars plus bad choices from Ferrari) but it's unquestionable that Mercs were close to top pace. IMHO it hasn't been the case in any other track, not that it can't change in the future of course, sadly Mercs are close to the top2 somewhat points wise.

Just_a_fan

dialtone wrote:
Evo2racer wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Why not Mercedes ?
Car today is not the car from Monaco.

Hardly F1 101, is it...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dialtone

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 00:58
dialtone wrote:
Evo2racer wrote:

Why not Mercedes ?
Car today is not the car from Monaco.

Hardly F1 101, is it...
When it lost 0.6s in S3 in France it didn't seem that different.