Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sieper

Re: Mercedes W13

They only had one run on red. They were there (after some track evolution) when they did their run.

If indeed the brakes and engines are getting thát hot that might be a real issue.

vanburin

De Jokke wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 15:05

Merc should be trying out different sidepods and floor stuff, testing things out like hell. Why aren't they?
Budget cap, I'm sure you've heard of it? This isn't yesteryear, where a team could throw infinite amounts of cash and resources at "trying" new things out. Unfortunately this is an exact consequence to the budget restraints put in for this season.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sieper wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 15:10
They only had one run on red. They were there (after some track evolution) when they did their run.
Also it's just FP1 so one should not draw too much conclusions.

wesley123
wesley123

De Jokke wrote:
Merc should be trying out different sidepods and floor stuff, testing things out like hell. Why aren't they?
Probably because they have a better idea of their car than some random forum visitor.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

cplchanb
cplchanb

wesley123 wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 15:38
De Jokke wrote:
Probably because they have a better idea of their car than some random forum visitor.
It's baffling how uneducated someone's comments are.

matt_s
matt_s

I mean, maybe they should try some inflatable sidepods and just keep blowing them up until they're fast. :twisted:

Why aren't they?
Budget cap.

De Jokke

Funny to see how many still finding this 'ok'.

Mercedes is a joke this year, I hate to say it, but I have no problem to admit it (which most people here are).
They try not much compared to other teams (AM even build a b-spec in budget cap times, Williams (also not very sound) improved much more relative to merc).

Merc in 2022:
*hmm, let's try this minor tweak to the floor: ow yes 3 thousands gain.
*Let's try a new rear wing (which other teams already had way way before): yes another tenth found.

Keep mocking my posts but I know that W14 will be a dud too if they keep going like this. :roll:
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

De Jokke wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 18:21

Mercedes is a joke this year, I hate to say it, but I have no problem to admit it (which most people here are).
They try not much compared to other teams (AM even build a b-spec in budget cap times, Williams (also not very sound) improved much more relative to merc).

Merc in 2022:
*Let's try a new rear wing (which other teams already had way way before): yes another tenth found.

Keep mocking my posts but I know that W14 will be a dud too if they keep going like this. :roll:
Mercedes have always been Sir Lewis merchant, if I want to "troll" I would say 10s of gap in France between Verstappen and Hamilton is less than on some occasion last season (Austria, Zandvoort before the extrastop, Baku before the puncture of Verstappen, Mexico...) :oops:

Phillyred
Phillyred

De Jokke wrote:
It's baffling how uneducated someone's comments are.
First day on the world wide web eh?? Welcome! :D

wesley123
wesley123

De Jokke wrote:

Merc in 2022:

https://careers.mercedesamgf1.com/vacancies/

There might just be the job for you.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Henri
Henri

The zero sidepods look ugly and are crap... we want the original spec car not this dog of a car that has zero down force.. 🤣

Henri
Henri

De Jokke wrote:

Merc in 2022:

The sidepod design is so amateur whats stoping them from copying red bull and ferrari... the wind tunnel has bad correlation issues

cplchanb
cplchanb

I think the mod needs to filter out some of these clearly disparaging and childish jab comments that have no technical value

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I actually still think this sidepod design has the legs to be the superior concept. FER evaluated it but it’s extremely tricky to do. Lots of unsupported real estate/tricky flow structures. I think in the main, the Merc is actually struggling under the floor/tunnel flow. Whether that’s because of suspension (it looks extremely stiff) or actual tunnel design. Likely so it can run close to the surface which gives this design max DF that’s seen in the windtunnel/CFD? I don’t think the sidepods are the reason they’re so far off the pace. They simply don’t have THAT much effect on the total package!

De Jokke

It's messing up the whole car, creating problems in several areas.
That's why they can't get a hold of it. Each time they solve something, something else pops up. (they said so themselves) It's the neverending story.

Funny: all the negativily rated posters are the ones who dare to say what's going on with this car :roll:
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!