Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NAPI10

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

tomazy wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:03
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Imagine every other team & driver continuing this trend...how embracing Alpine

Big Tea

Now who would have expected that eH?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

continuum16

Looks like Alpine and Chip Ganassi Racing have the same legal counsel....

Believe you have a driver under contract for next year? Hear that driver might be interested in McLaren instead?
What I imagine was the legal advice: "f*** it, just release a statement saying you've got that driver under contract. You either lose the court case and the driver but get a bunch of money in a buyout, or you win the court case and keep the driver."

I just don't know why, if you're Piastri, you'd turn down Alpine over McLaren, who is already known to be in a contractual mess (at least on one side of the Atlantic), is behind Alpine in the WCC, and is not a manufacturer team. But it goes without saying that Webber and Piastri know a lot more than us (and apparently Otmar and Laurent Rossi).

Besides, do we just assume it's McLaren because Adam Cooper (or others) suggested it? What actual evidence do we have to say it's McLaren? I mean it makes logical sense but look at the last 72 hours and tell me logic has been a high priority on the F1 driver market. Have McLaren learned from the Palou debacle to not say anything, or are they not involved? If they are involved is Ricciardo aware of this or finding this out as we go? If he knows ahead of time, why constantly refute questions over his future? None of this makes any sense. And of course we are heading towards a two week downtime, like a mid-season cliffhanger for a TV show... :shock:
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

djos

tomazy wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 16:03
That is gold! 🤣
"In downforce we trust"

RedNEO

Big Tea wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 10:57
RedNEO wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 10:21
I have dealt with a French company this time of year and been told the 'person' who was supposed to have arranged something was on holidays. Is this another case of -off on holiday on holiday from July, so things do not get done?

No ones fault, it just happens to fall when no one is there? Huge oversight if it is, but it would not be the firs time
Feels like that doesn’t it

Sieper

I really don’t understand what is going on. It’ll make sense when it plays out I guess but for now this is indeed Silly season silliness.

Shakeman

I think PW has a good take on the Piastri situation. (Radio Interview)

djos

Shakeman wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:47

Peter completely missed Otmar’s statement that he’d be happy to have Daniel at Alpine.
"In downforce we trust"

DChemTech

djos wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 11:03
Shakeman wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 10:47

Peter completely missed Otmar’s statement that he’d be happy to have Daniel at Alpine.
Peter released this pretty quickly. Not sure if that was out yet

chrisc90

Even football teams are giving their own spin on Piastri's tweet.

RedNEO

https://racingnews365.com/revealed-pias ... en-in-2023

[BREAKING]Piastri has signed for McLaren for 2023 replacing Ricciardo!
The FIA's contract recognition board ruled that there was no valid contract between Alpine and Piastri before 2023, leaving McLaren free to agree a deal with the Australian.

Piastri's deal with McLaren was said to have been finalised on the evening of July 30, before Fernando Alonso's move to Aston Martin was confirmed on August 1.

Under Formula 1's regulations, Alpine cannot challenge the board's decision, as F1 teams have previously unanimously decided that it is the highest body that can rule on contractual matters.

Sevach

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:05

Piastri has signed for McLaren for 2023 replacing Ricciardo!
The FIA's contract recognition board ruled that there was no valid contract between Alpine and Piastri before 2023, leaving McLaren free to agree a deal with the Australian.

Piastri's deal with McLaren was said to have been finalised on the evening of July 30, before Fernando Alonso's move to Aston Martin was confirmed on August 1.

Under Formula 1's regulations, Alpine cannot challenge the board's decision, as F1 teams have previously unanimously decided that it is the highest body that can rule on contractual matters.
It seems like Alpine didn't trigger the 2023 option in time, leaving Piastri open.

djos

RedNEO wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 10:05

[BREAKING]Piastri has signed for McLaren for 2023 replacing Ricciardo!

Wow! So I’m guessing Daniel will be replacing Fernando at Alpine.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

Is Dan in agreement too? which would mean Renault are also
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RedNEO