Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Dernie Ecclestone

Re: Red Bull RB18

The smooth surface transitions on the sidepods do not indicate to me a vortex shedding feature. It may simply be a matter of reducing cross sectional area slightly through that region.
DinkLv wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 03:28

Stu

If you ‘encourage’ the air to flow as you wish you will achieve lower drag than if you ‘compel’ it.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

ringo

We see it at the base of the side pods on the floor in that picture.

From what i gather with cfd eyes, it reduces lift.
It limits crossflows between side and top of the side pod.
The aero efficiency will increase.
For Sure!!

cheeRS

Stu wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 07:44
If you ‘encourage’ the air to flow as you wish you will achieve lower drag than if you ‘compel’ it.
And if you 'compel' the flow, you'll achieve much lower drag than if you 'coerce' it...

...Said a wise aerodynamicist who was also a tornado survivor.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

Henk_v

RB has been very inactive on the front wing. I expect (and hope) now they have optimised a lot on the back and middle of the car to see a major front wing update. The time is about right to react on the MB front wing.

Sieper

Yep, that MB front wing simply has an inside part, and an outside part, that butt up to eachother via two steel plates that slide very easily against eachother.

I thought the elements were a mandated one piece this year, apparently not, so let’s copy that.

AR3-GP

There was discussion by the Alpine guy, Pat Fry, that currently you get so much more bang for your buck developing the floor. That may explain why we see little front wing change.

Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 13:46
Yep, that MB front wing simply has an inside part, and an outside part, that butt up to eachother via two steel plates that slide very easily against eachother.

I thought the elements were a mandated one piece this year, apparently not, so let’s copy that.
The front wings all have adjustment and all flex in the same manner.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 13:55
Sieper wrote:

Red Bull fans aren't happy with that answer. Big down vote campaign.

Guys, if you disagree, then discuss it, don't just hide behind a downvote and associated comment. :roll:

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 22:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Guys, if you disagree, then discuss it, don't just hide behind a downvote and associated comment. :roll:
No voting from me.

But surely the front wing and angle of attack on the front fins, wing height, shape and just about everything else all plays a HUGE factor on how the air flow moves across the rest of the car, sidepods, around the wheels to a degree, how much it lets go under the floor etc etc.

To say to copy the Mercedes idea of their wing is just a bit silly really, where none of us truely know how the airflow goes over the wing and the rest of the car.

2 massively different concepts and the front wing probably plays a big difference between both of them.

If RB seen something in the Merc idea of the wing, they would have copied it for the next race. Given they havent, then it probably isnt going to give any advantage to the RB18 aerodynamically. Im sure the RB aero boffins will have had that design run through CFD before the end of the race the weekend Merc introduced it.

AR3-GP

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:

From what I have seen, you tend to misinterpret the post that you quote. For example, saying "all front wings have adjustment and all flex in the same manner" doesn't have much truth in it. I look at the Alpine or the Mclaren front wing and it is very different in it's construction and degrees of freedom as compared to the Mercedes.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 14 Aug 2022, 23:27, edited 3 times in total.

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 23:02
Just_a_fan wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

No voting from me.

But surely the front wing and angle of attack on the front fins, wing height, shape and just about everything else all plays a HUGE factor on how the air flow moves across the rest of the car, sidepods, around the wheels to a degree, how much it lets go under the floor etc etc.

To say to copy the Mercedes idea of their wing is just a bit silly really, where none of us truely know how the airflow goes over the wing and the rest of the car.

2 massively different concepts and the front wing probably plays a big difference between both of them.

If RB seen something in the Merc idea of the wing, they would have copied it for the next race. Given they havent, then it probably isnt going to give any advantage to the RB18 aerodynamically. Im sure the RB aero boffins will have had that design run through CFD before the end of the race the weekend Merc introduced it.
The only difference between the two cars' front wings is the philosophy. One is loaded more in once portion of the wing, the other elsewhere. The rest is related details.

It's getting a bit boring to see RBR fans going on about Merc front wing flex when all of the teams have front wing flex and all of them as redesigned to suit their own particular car's aero philosophy.

It's amusingly ironic to hear some RBR fans bemoaning an apparent front wing flex in another team when it was RBR themselves that pioneered flexible legal designs.

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 23:21
chrisc90 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 23:02
Just_a_fan wrote:

No voting from me.

The only difference between the two cars' front wings is the philosophy. One is loaded more in once portion of the wing, the other elsewhere. The rest is related details.

It's getting a bit boring to see RBR fans going on about Merc front wing flex when all of the teams have front wing flex and all of them as redesigned to suit their own particular car's aero philosophy.

It's amusingly ironic to hear some RBR fans bemoaning an apparent front wing flex in another team when it was RBR themselves that pioneered flexible legal designs.
I could easily uno reverse-o those comments with the barrage of flexi-floor comments we've had for the last 2 months. Maybe the RBR fans get sick of hearing that too and becoming boring.

All the front wings flex to a certain degree. I dare bet you could look at ANY onboard of a car and see the front wing flexing down under load at speed.

Hope you dont see my wing comments as directed at you directly as it wasnt yourself who brought up the claim that RB need to copy Merc's front wing. Ive made my comments clear why they shouldnt in one of my previous replies.

Personally, I dont think the RB18 front wing is lacking compared to any other team at all. I have full faith in the car as a whole and is probably the best package on the grid at the moment on a whole. Performance and 'porpoising' which we see very very small bits of from the RB18. (especially if you compare the porpoising/bouncing to the likes of the merc and the Ferrari who are both still suffering to a degree)

Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Aug 2022, 23:33

Personally, I dont think the RB18 front wing is lacking compared to any other team at all. I have full faith in the car as a whole and is probably the best package on the grid at the moment on a whole. Performance and 'porpoising' which we see very very small bits of from the RB18. (especially if you compare the porpoising/bouncing to the likes of the merc and the Ferrari who are both still suffering to a degree)
I don't understand those people saying they need to do something with the front wing. If Red Bull's front wing was lacking in downforce, they'd have done something about it long before now, wouldn't they? It's not as if they don't have a half-decent aero guy on the team.

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Tell that to your Mercedes friends who gave you the same amount of upvotes! They didn't discus it, just gave upvotes!
The Power of Dreams!