A post EV era

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
gruntguru

Re: A post EV era

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 13:13
gruntguru wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 07:34
gruntguru wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 13:09
Agree with this bit. Should also apply to hypercars - no need to regulate beyond this. If you can afford to - pay whatever it costs to reverse the damage done by your indulgence then go ahead and do it.
Andres125sx wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 12:26
Seriously guys? You continue using money as the only reference? Anyone with a big enough account can do whatever he/she wants? #-o ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Then...
How do we value or pay an atmosphere full of GHG?
How do we value or pay an increase of 2ºC of seas?
How do we value or pay destroying forests?
How do we value or pay a hole in the ozone layer?
I´m a capitalist, but not an extremist who consider everything has a price, including lives and the planet like you are suggesting :wtf: . There are things which don´t have a price and it does not matter how many zeros are put in the paycheck, no fortune can replace ozone, the atmosphere or a balanced climate or environment.
Dollars are the best way we have of keeping score. Read my post again. "If you can afford to - pay whatever it costs to reverse the damage done by your indulgence then go ahead and do it."

There are without question, ways of measuring CO2 emission, ways of reducing CO2 emission and measuring the cost of doing so.

Sorry but you continue missing the point. We need to urgently reduce emissions, wich means erradicating any emission wich is not needed, and compensating for all the rest wich are needed as they´re immense.

You comment is like a captain of a ship who is sinking and admit someone doing a hole in the ship if he can evacuate the water wich will come in through that hole... no way man, we need those two hands evacuating the water which is already coming in, not wasting those two hands with new holes

All hands are needed for existing holes, no new holes please!
I am a strong advocate for urgently reducing emissions however - if we follow your analogy to the letter we must shut down all forms of combustion engine racing immediately, park our cars and ride bicycles - etc etc.

Meanwhile, the low-hanging fruit in energy generation and industry remains untouched.
je suis charlie

gruntguru

Tommy Cookers wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 16:03
Big Tea wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 15:35
What few seem to mention when speaking of 'transport' and emissions co2 etc ....
what few seem to acknowlege is that (typically) ......
emissions for heating must be the real goal but we are bamboozled with emissions for transport
('they' want to make us all feel guilty)
Disagree. Most governments are focusing on power generation and industry ahead of transport.
je suis charlie

Zynerji

gruntguru wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 04:22
Tommy Cookers wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 16:03
Big Tea wrote:
10 Aug 2022, 15:35
What few seem to mention when speaking of 'transport' and emissions co2 etc ....
what few seem to acknowlege is that (typically) ......
emissions for heating must be the real goal but we are bamboozled with emissions for transport
('they' want to make us all feel guilty)
Disagree. Most governments are focusing on power generation and industry ahead of transport.
While endlessly mining the copper and lithium in 3rd world countries.🙄 Modern imperialism at its worst.

PS: The only global warming that concerns me in the slightest is the neverending threat of thermonuclear war. I fear, the climate will have plenty of time to recover before it gets devoured by the sun after we're gone. .

johnny comelately

I do not understand much of this at all, to prove it: does it generate electricity or still used to make steam?

gruntguru

johnny comelately wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 06:16
I do not understand much of this at all, to prove it: does it generate electricity or still used to make steam?
Much the same thing. Converting heat (as opposed to fuel) into electricity is mostly done using steam and the Rankine cycle.
je suis charlie

johnny comelately

We could not have digressed any further, ending up on Mars, bringing god into it, promulgating war and disease, etc etc.
So, a thought about future transport is the materials required, as that seems to be a sticking point in regards to mining, manufacturing, distribution etc is the use of Biochemical Engineering for materials, solid and otherwise.
In this field we have not even come close to the plant world, where some species take a speck of genetic material and out of the environment (sun or no sun, water, a bit of air, sometimes no fertiliser and produce the most astounding array of materials.
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/biochemical-engin ... ngineering

Beam me up Scotty :wink:

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

This thread has been so far derailed for a while, I've disabled post-ratings in it and done some spring cleaning.

Do try to talk about global warming, Elon Musk, ice ages, and carbon dioxide without needing to resort to name-calling... it shows linguistic weakness and makes you much easier to dismiss.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

johnny comelately

Vyssion wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 00:29
This thread has been so far derailed for a while, I've disabled post-ratings in it and done some spring cleaning.

Do try to talk about global warming, Elon Musk, ice ages, and carbon dioxide without needing to resort to name-calling... it shows linguistic weakness and makes you much easier to dismiss.
Thank you

johnny comelately

For example, re biochemical engineering:
Bridgestone Americas (Bridgestone) has developed an all-new race tire with a sidewall made with natural rubber derived from the guayule desert shrub
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/0 ... ayule.html

Stora Enso and Northvolt partner to develop anode material from wood
27 July 2022
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/0 ... aenso.html

gruntguru

ah - the wooden car. Bring back the good old days.
je suis charlie

johnny comelately

gruntguru wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 02:44
ah - the wooden car. Bring back the good old days.
Ye may jest :wink:

Cold Fussion

johnny comelately wrote:
It doesn't produce anything other than plasma. It's fusion product is also 10 times lower than tokamak reactors, and it's 2-3 orders of magnitude away from breakeven, let alone producing electricity. Stellarator's may one day produce electricity, but it's very unlikely to do so before a tokamak.

johnny comelately

Cold Fussion wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 10:09
johnny comelately wrote:
It doesn't produce anything other than plasma. It's fusion product is also 10 times lower than tokamak reactors, and it's 2-3 orders of magnitude away from breakeven, let alone producing electricity. Stellarator's may one day produce electricity, but it's very unlikely to do so before a tokamak.
I just noticed your name :)

Andres125sx

gruntguru wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 04:18

Meanwhile, the low-hanging fruit in energy generation and industry remains untouched.
What do you mean?

vorticism

What's better for getting VC money? Fusion research or a smartphone app startup. Asking for a friend.
𓄀