2022 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: 2022 car comparison thread

Stu wrote:
03 Jun 2022, 16:43
While the McLaren looks the most conventional at the bulkhead, the are achieving a similar effect by moving their cooling forwards (it is located diagonally through the gap between the SIS).
Great bit of research, @Blackout, thanks for taking the time and posting it.
Exactly
Nicolas Carpentier / F1i

RZS10

This is the wings in Baku, reposting here as the post got buried in the race thread.
How i got the scaling:
I marked the hinges and center of the wings and scaled them all to the same width to the best of my abilities (source images were low res) - with the assumption that Fabrega took all those images from a similar distance whilst standing (same camera height) this should allow a somewhat accurate comparison with the Mercedes wing as baseline for the copypasted reference lines.
Here's the full image i worked in without the new Ferrari wing.

This one includes the new Ferrari RW and the old one.

jjn9128

Interesting the rubber bits in the floor to allow the sprung keel (from https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonmcclin ... 154387486/)

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Spoutnik

Interesting thread, unroll !

organic

Seems Alpine have adopted an engine cover geometry similar to that of AT

CaribouBread

Very interesting that Red Bull and Alpine both went for the 'high shoulder' cooling solution

RZS10

RZS10 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:53
Post to link to the next time someone writes "the FW of team X is flexing!" :wink:
https://i.imgur.com/cLfIIw9.png
https://i.imgur.com/V7gLDLY.png
I've recorded some more footage over the season so i think i'll add an update to that post with a few more cars and comparisons for those i have nose cam video from several races as it's interesting to see how things have changed.

The colours and methods used will differ as i did not necessarily make those for this post but had them done in the meantime.

Red Bull: As outlined in this post in the RB18 thread the wing flex seems to have increased significantly (for all elements) from the Bahrain test to the Canadian GP.
Check out the post for more images and gifs as it shows how i make those images in the first place, here's just the comparison
There seems to be some movement on the nose tip
yet the camera mounts look quite sturdy
meaning it's unlikely to be movement of the camera pod.

Mercedes: Also Bahrain vs. Canada, the main element was hard to make out but the edge of the paint is good enough, the main element seems to have a bit less deflection, the other ones have ~50% to almost double. Interestingly there does not appear to be any difference on the inside bits of the uppermost elements right of the metal connector.

I believe one possible explanation for this change was the new endplate introduced in Miami which potentially might have freed up the two upper elements for more movement.

Ferrari: Only a small change from Bahrain to Melbourne:

Here is the Ferrari FW in France in a bit more detail, it might be a bit confusing as i marked the lower edges as well
Low speed:
High speed:
Extreme deflection (on bumps etc) exceeding the avg high speed flex

Bahrain vs France, very similar to Bahrain vs. Melbourne, no difference on the main element, 25-30% more on the other ones

Three more cars:

McLaren in Barcelona

The nose movement here is likely the camera slightly moving under aero load as i can't see any part of the nose that seems to be fully 'fixed' relative to the camera ... on the contrary (1, 2, 3)
The camera pod sits on thinner mountings

Alpha Tauri in Baku

Moving nose tip

really thick camera mount = movement is rather the nose tip (panel?), unlikely to be the camera

Aston Martin in Canada

I will not try to make a quantitative comparison between the cars themselves as the differences in camera angles, distance, fov, etc wouldn't allow for anything substantial, even when taking the decals etc as orientation for scaling them.

Edit: added a few more images etc
Last edited by RZS10 on 19 Aug 2022, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP

Is there any explanation for why there has not been a crack down on front wing flexing? Could it be because the FIA see a tradeoff of front wing stiffness and the propensity for front wing damage? These "rubber noses" can take a beating and I think it's good for the show. If they were stiffer, they would be more likely to cut tires and/or break away upon contact.

vorticism

From racefans.net

Alpine and RB with similar sidepod, roll hoop and engine cover shape:

𓄀

vorticism

Sidepod width. Haas vs Merc:

Ferrari vs RB:

𓄀

vorticism

Blackout wrote:
03 Jun 2022, 13:44
Man, these cars dont only have different aeros, their monocoques are also very diverse with some radical/exotic designs. This is how the back of these 4 monocoques seem to be shaped (roughly - and if you only look at the bulkhead and discard the rest).
So one of the biggest differentiator is how the side coolers are pushed inside the tub recesses and how some designs favour a low centre of gravity, while others favor overall slimness and frontal area....

RB is kinda similar to Merc but they have cut the bulkhead so high up* that they need to add that metallic extension to support the mid engine mounting point...
*for slimness but also to pass the compressor-interccolers-plenum pipes IMO

As it relates:

Image@nicolasf1i
𓄀

zioture

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Mega comparison RWing SPA

vorticism

If you look closely you can see the Alfa Romeo's rear wing cants inwards, narrower than the other cars.

𓄀

organic

hopping, no hopping

michl420

Interesting that there are still so many different rear wing endplate tips. The normal one (ferrari,haas,mclaren,williams), the alpine stile ( apline, mercedes), aston martin special one and today I see alfa romeo with a very sharp flap end.