2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps - Aug 26 - 28

organic wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 18:26

Leclerc drove 1 kilometer per hour too fast in the pit lane. Binotto just explained that the sensor they normally use was not working due to overheating.

Leclerc had problems with his cooling, presumably because a tear-off from Verstappen's helmet ended up in it.

Supposedly pitlane overspeed a cause of a sensor. Due to only 1km/h excess speed I think that's not a fib to protect Charles
Don't think I believe this. Do they rely on just one unit to measure the speed? There must be wheel rotation measurement, engine RPM, GPS and probably several that do not occur to me immediately.
If they knew the sensor was suspect they would... Ah, it Ferrari.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

basti313 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 17:00
cplchanb wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:43
grubschumi13 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:33
Max Verstappen is the best driver we have the pleasure of witnessing in the last 20 to 30 years. Obliterating everyone in his wake.
So you're saying he's better than Michael schumacher hamilton and senna? Spoken like a true max acolyte
Not really. You can argue about Michael, but Ham always had his errors throwing away points with either bad Q or not well executed races. Verstappen is in the last two years driving on a level where he maximizes everything he can. If he keeps this up like Vettel did when he had his rocketship then he is driving on a level that Ham never had.
Max hasn't been through the rigors of Hamilton. He has a lot of pressures to experience. The same for Vettel. Redbull creates a bubble for their drivers.
Max would need to be in the same team with a reigning champion, and have an equally fast teammate while fight for a championship.
2021 is but a drop in the bucket, and it has an asterisk, but it was his best display.
Hamilton faced: Alonso, Button, and reigning champs in their prime and destroyed Nico 3 out of 4 times and Nico fled as champion. Then beat Ferrari twice with Vettel still at his peak.
2021 is (il)legitimately depending on your view, Max's only year of facing a champion and there were many errors and dirty driving.
Max's journey is just begining.
Last edited by Steven on 03 Sep 2022, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments
For Sure!!

falonso81

Sevach wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 18:35
organic wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 18:21

Here's Max's onboard dumping his tearoff towards the end of the lap with Charles right behind him.. just before leclerc has trouble

Like a Mario kart banana. Unfortunate for Charles
https://twitter.com/FanaticsFerrari/sta ... bs81djncrA
Charles just can't catch a break. The Ferrari masterplan is working nicely.

Sieper

The opening lap with these new close following cars was something else. I never saw this in the previous formula. Also the close slipstreaming is great, Ocon 3 wide 2 overtake. Bodes well for the future when the cars come closer together in performance.

Dominant performance by Max this weekend. I think it will remain to be so for the remainder of the season. Not thís big but I think he will now be able to fight for pole on every track and is able to win on all of them. Not saying that will happen, but he has the shot for sure.

The Lewis on Alonso move was harsh and ended up in Havoc. Charles race imploded again. Last lap scrap and all.

By the way, do we think Ferrari was fearful for plank wear going over the limit? They instructed Sainz to drive around several bumps specifically.

Mogster

ringo wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 18:37
basti313 wrote:
cplchanb wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 16:43

So you're saying he's better than Michael schumacher hamilton and senna? Spoken like a true max acolyte
Not really. You can argue about Michael, but Ham always had his errors throwing away points with either bad Q or not well executed races. Verstappen is in the last two years driving on a level where he maximizes everything he can. If he keeps this up like Vettel did when he had his rocketship then he is driving on a level that Ham never had.
Lol dont geat ahead of yourself. Until Max becomes a champion Killer, he hasnt been through the rigors of Hamilton. He has a lot of pressures to experience. The same for Vettel. Redbull creates a bubble for their drivers.
Max would need to be in the same team with a reigning champion, and have an equally fast teammate while fight for a championship.
2021 is but a drop in the bucket, and it has an asterik, but it was his best display.
Hamilton faced: Alonso, Button, and reigning champs in their prime and destroyed Nico 3 out of 4 times and Nico fled as champion. Then beat Ferrari twice with Vettel still at his peak.
2021 is (il)legitimately depending on your view, Max's only year of facing a champion and there were many errors and dirty driving.
So as i said you are getting ahead of yourself. Max's journey is just begining.
Since Barcelona Max hasn’t been under any real pressure.

A big part of becoming a multi champion is motivation. When you’ve won’t 2/3 then the next of any significance will be 7. Hakkinen, Rosberg jacked it in as they couldn’t face operating at that level for the foreseeable. I can’t see Max feeling that way but who knows till he faces that dilemma.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Mogster wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:03
ringo wrote:
basti313 wrote:

Lol dont geat ahead of yourself. Until Max becomes a champion Killer, he hasnt been through the rigors of Hamilton. He has a lot of pressures to experience. The same for Vettel. Redbull creates a bubble for their drivers.
2021 is but a drop in the bucket, and it has an asterik, but it was his best display.

A big part of becoming a multi champion is motivation. When you’ve won’t 2/3 then the next of any significance will be 7. Hakkinen, Rosberg jacked it in as they couldn’t face operating at that level for the foreseeable. I can’t see Max feeling that way but who knows till he faces that dilemma.
Missed Canada, Silverstone, Austria?

Sieper

I think this is the first weekend, this year, that Max was totally dominant.

I think Ferrari took a little hit with the TD, they even instructed Sainz specifically to drive around some bumps (2 corners). Could be in fear of excessive plank wear. Could have been other trouble as well of course, but still.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Mogster wrote:
ringo wrote:
basti313 wrote:

I sometimes think about this. There are times where I think he would go for 7 or more. But then there's also times where I think about how much he talked about how he only really cared about getting 1, even before his first that makes me think he will just happily retire with however many he has at an earlier point than normal

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Sieper wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:42

I think Ferrari took a little hit with the TD, they even instructed Sainz specifically to drive around some bumps (2 corners). Could be in fear of excessive plank wear. Could have been other trouble as well of course, but still.
I would class Imola as totally dominant aswell

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 19:50
Sieper wrote:

You can add Miami where he had almost no mileage before qualy, started P3 and dominated the race. The SC gave an illusion, otherwise he would have won by a big margin.
In Silverstone he had tremendous pace, same for France even before Leclerc mistake. In Hungary terrific pace again it was hidden by the pour qualy and the usual Ferrari strategic blunder but he would've won even if Leclerc was on Sainz's strategy.

Today he was just allowed to put everything together, despite the penalty.

"His" (probably not his fault) only off was Austria, and Spain where Leclerc had supérior pace and he went into the gravel.

Sieper

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Not as a weekend. He started the sprint only from P3. But from that moment onwards, yes. But this whole weekend no one could come close. Staggering.

Sieper

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Mogster wrote:
ringo wrote:

I sometimes think about this. There are times where I think he would go for 7 or more. But then there's also times where I think about how much he talked about how he only really cared about getting 1, even before his first that makes me think he will just happily retire with however many he has at an earlier point than normal
If I look at Lewis walking alone, towards the woods, that is more a bit of an iconic image towards retirement. Ofc Merc could be back next year. But if not and they struggle again. Will Hamilton still want to sit that out, and when is that out?

But all these big talks, they are racers, they want to race, and are born for it, at least live for it. There is more to live though.

chrisc90

Sieper wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 20:48

If I look at Lewis walking alone, towards the woods, that is more a bit of an iconic image towards retirement. Ofc Merc could be back next year. But if not and they struggle again. Will Hamilton still want to sit that out, and when is that out?

But all these big talks, they are racers, they want to race, and are born for it, at least live for it. There is more to live though.
Probably had a world of thoughts in his head.

But to quit after 1 bad season wouldn't be very good, or even 2. When you have won 34% of the races you have started, 1in 3, it’s a bit of a ‘cop out’ to quit because you no longer have the BEST car.

Merc still the 3rd best team at present, which makes the 5th or 6th best car. And already seen their car can be a strong contender for a podium.

I can’t see any reason to retire at the moment. Mind, I think Toto would probably follow Hamilton out the door.

Mogster

I think the obvious frustration was bourne out of the knowledge that Max and Chaz were starting way down the field. On the grid Hamilton probably thought he was looking at his best chance of a win n 2022, that probably explains his aggressive lap 1.

ringo

Hamilton showing signs of 2011. Sees possibility to win and gets excited. That year he and Felipe Massa were like two magnets.
But i think he could have at least given Max some trouble today if Russel was used to upset redbull strategy.
Looking at the Alonso crash from the onboard..I dont think Alonso was fully innocent. But Lewis was mostly to blame for even thinking Alonso would have slowed down and let him through. Lewis did what Max did in silverstone. Only this time no penalty for Alonso.

Why were redbull so fast today though?
The cars just looked like they were running on ultrasoft magic tyres.
For Sure!!