2025/2026 Hybrid Powerunit speculation

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Tommy Cookers

Re: 2025/2026 Hybrid Powerunit speculation

vorticism wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 15:32
Hence Honda's high cycle frequency H to K power transmission.
no such thing ??
it was K to H - aka 'extra harvest'

EDIT/NOTE TO SELF
as Henry rightly says in the following post - yes there was such a thing
energy from ES to MH/GK repeat cycle to MK aka 'extra deployment'
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 01 Sep 2022, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

henry

Tommy Cookers wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 18:35
vorticism wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 15:32
Hence Honda's high cycle frequency H to K power transmission.
no such thing ??
it was K to H - aka 'extra harvest'
A recent Japanese article mentioned ‘extra deploy’ which is theoretically just as straightforward. We have no way of knowing if it was ever deployed, but then that is true of so much of what happens with these PUs.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

saviour stivala

''The energy to the crankshaft is not limited'' - ''So lap 'K' - motoring time is unlimited (by the rules)''. On every lap, the driver has a specific quantity of electric energy he can deploy for a set period of time.

wuzak

yamahasho wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 17:31
So everyone's thinking they're going to do something like this to counteract the turbo lag issue:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/523 ... a406_b.jpg

Been used plenty of times in production cars. Or against the regs?

Or perhaps a anti-lag (which I call a blown turbo) by dumping fuel in on deceleration but this sounds implausible because it wastes fuel but who knows.
Isn't that what they have now?

The turbo will not have a motor attached to it.

They may use something like the cold blowing that was used during the blown diffuser days, but that depends on what they come up with for the throttle rules.

yamahasho

wuzak wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 00:46
yamahasho wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 17:31
So everyone's thinking they're going to do something like this to counteract the turbo lag issue:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/523 ... a406_b.jpg

Been used plenty of times in production cars. Or against the regs?

Or perhaps a anti-lag (which I call a blown turbo) by dumping fuel in on deceleration but this sounds implausible because it wastes fuel but who knows.
Isn't that what they have now?

The turbo will not have a motor attached to it.

They may use something like the cold blowing that was used during the blown diffuser days, but that depends on what they come up with for the throttle rules.
Far as I know currently it’s a thermoelectric generator using temperature differences using the hot exhaust gases versus some exotic material for the cold side. Very expensive. I believe it uses that electricity generated back into the system.

But correct wuzak after that, the electricity is used to and motor to keep the shaft spinning. All in one unit. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Let’s see how it goes with the new rules but far as I can see turbo assist, by spinning up via electric motor or anti lag system by dumping fuel or throttle control on deceleration, is not banned.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

wuzak

5.5 Turbocharger
5.5.1 Pressure charging may only be affected by the use of a sole single stage, single sided compressor with a single inlet linked to a sole single stage exhaust turbine by a shaft assembly. The compressor blades must be attached to a common hub surface and all air entering the combustion chamber must pass through the single exducer of these blades. The shaft must be designed so as to ensure that the shaft assembly, the compressor and the turbine always rotate about a common axis and at the same angular velocity. The energy of the rotating parts of the turbocharger may not be transferrable to any other component. Only parts approved by the FIA Technical Department may be used. Subject for provision of the Article 17.3.5, the approval of the FIA Technical Department is conditional upon the PU manufacturer, intending to use such parts during a Championship season undertaking not to conclude any exclusivity agreement (see definition article 5.1.30) for the supply of such parts with the supplier of these parts. The approval request form must be sent by the PU Manufacturer to the FIA before the 1st of November of the preceding year.
Cannot transfer energy to or from rotating components?

Also, parts have to be approved by FIA.

mzso

wuzak wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 05:07
5.5 Turbocharger
5.5.1 Pressure charging may only be affected by the use of a sole single stage, single sided compressor with a single inlet linked to a sole single stage exhaust turbine by a shaft assembly. The compressor blades must be attached to a common hub surface and all air entering the combustion chamber must pass through the single exducer of these blades. The shaft must be designed so as to ensure that the shaft assembly, the compressor and the turbine always rotate about a common axis and at the same angular velocity. The energy of the rotating parts of the turbocharger may not be transferrable to any other component. Only parts approved by the FIA Technical Department may be used. Subject for provision of the Article 17.3.5, the approval of the FIA Technical Department is conditional upon the PU manufacturer, intending to use such parts during a Championship season undertaking not to conclude any exclusivity agreement (see definition article 5.1.30) for the supply of such parts with the supplier of these parts. The approval request form must be sent by the PU Manufacturer to the FIA before the 1st of November of the preceding year.

Where is that from? Are there more detailed regulations available now beyond this?

Holm86

mzso wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:19
wuzak wrote:
5.5 Turbocharger

Where is that from? Are there more detailed regulations available now beyond this?
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -08-16.pdf

mzso

djos wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 23:49
No I’m not, I think the tech is super cool, but you are ignoring obvious show stoppers like this:
SOFCs require significant time to reach operating temperature and are slow to respond to changes in electricity demand.
Doesn't seem like a showstopper to me, nor do I think that any but the warm-up time is inherent to the technology.*

F1 needs constant high power. Obviously they wouldn't run the motors directly by only a fuel cell, no FCEV ever worked that way. I believe someone here calculated it before and you need around 400kW constant power at worst (Monza). And enough batteries to buffer for the braking zones.

*Not sure "why the slow to respond" is even there. Obviously you can turn it down quickly by cutting fuel. And if you don't have it turned down to an extended time you can turn it right back up.
I would imagine if such fuel cell tech would happen it would be fully insulated. And any excess heat would be removed (maybe with energy recovery) by extra airflow

mzso

Holm86 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:22
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -08-16.pdf
Thanks.
(Gotta love that the first thing I look at is borked in the TOC. ES is 5.22 not 5.24)

mzso

So we're down to 73kg of fuel per hour at most. ES remains 4MJ, the K can only harvest 9MJ.
Feels like the 1000hp power unit is just a marketing lie.

Why limit ES and recovery at all, if they are pushing electrification. Makes no sense.

yamahasho

wuzak wrote:
5.5 Turbocharger

Good find, it doesn’t say to OR from it just says TO, so an external motor, which can be made as decoupled, is not getting any energy from the turbine unless the system purposely energizes a current to make it a generator.

But I’m not some f1 engineer, but the wording “energy” can be interpreted heat energy so engineers would no longer recreate the mgu-h. It should say heat and kinetic energy cannot be transferred to any other component.
Supercharged Ford Taurus SHO 5spd. Sold.
BMW 335i, N54 6spd tuned with tunerPro

djos

mzso wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:39
djos wrote:
30 Aug 2022, 23:49
No I’m not, I think the tech is super cool, but you are ignoring obvious show stoppers like this:
SOFCs require significant time to reach operating temperature and are slow to respond to changes in electricity demand.
Doesn't seem like a showstopper to me, nor do I think that any but the warm-up time is inherent to the technology.*

F1 needs constant high power. Obviously they wouldn't run the motors directly by only a fuel cell, no FCEV ever worked that way. I believe someone here calculated it before and you need around 400kW constant power at worst (Monza). And enough batteries to buffer for the braking zones.

*Not sure "why the slow to respond" is even there. Obviously you can turn it down quickly by cutting fuel. And if you don't have it turned down to an extended time you can turn it right back up.
I would imagine if such fuel cell tech would happen it would be fully insulated. And any excess heat would be removed (maybe with energy recovery) by extra airflow
Startup times where the main issue I was referring to. I’ve found a few papers discussing fast start up SOFC units (5mins) but they are tiny 10W cells.

Most of the commercially available units list starting times of Cold 24 hrs and Hot 2 hrs.

https://power.mhi.com/products/sofc/pdf/sofc_en.pdf

Just doesn’t seem very practical to me right now. Especially considering a 210kW unit is 33t (prolly half that when you remove all the turbine heat systems etc).

Ps for reference I used to manage a data centre with 3x 1.1MW 32ltr Cat Diesel generators that only weighed 6t each!
"In downforce we trust"

wuzak

mzso wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:56
So we're down to 73kg of fuel per hour at most. ES remains 4MJ, the K can only harvest 9MJ.
Depends of fuel. It could be bioethanol or synthetic petrol.

Thus the limit is in MJ/h (coincidentally, it may have been how fuel flow was regulated back when Audi's Diesel was going against Porsche's petrol in LMP1).

mzso wrote:
Feels like the 1000hp power unit is just a marketing lie.
Very much so.

Achieving 1000hp would be quite rare on a lap, as, to my mind, the electrical energy will be used mostly when the ICE isn't making much power.

mzso wrote:
Why limit ES and recovery at all, if they are pushing electrification. Makes no sense.
9MJ recovery seems like a stretch to me.

johnny comelately

wuzak wrote:
5.5 Turbocharger

= ballast then.