Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

fritticaldi wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 23:09
Does anyone think Nyck de Vries has a legitimate chance of landing a full time drive next year? IMHO I can see him at Williams replacing Latifi.
He never seems to be away from Toto at the minute. They must be literally joined at the hip.

djos

Latest rumour apparently has Daniel sitting out 2023 as Mercedes’ reserve driver so he can take the seat vacated by Lewis if he retires in 2024.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

djos wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 23:42
Latest rumour apparently has Daniel sitting out 2023 as Mercedes’ reserve driver so he can take the seat vacated by Lewis if he retires in 2024.
Does anyone really think that will fly? Does not sound likely to me.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shakeman

Ricciardo as a reserve driver I can see but Merc can do way better for a Lewis replacement, I mean come on Ric is exhibiting back marker level pace.

djos

Big Tea wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 23:47
djos wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 23:42
Does anyone really think that will fly? Does not sound likely to me.
I don’t believe it either, but this is the topic for silliness. 🤣
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Shakeman wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 00:06
Ricciardo as a reserve driver I can see but Merc can do way better for a Lewis replacement, I mean come on Ric is exhibiting back marker level pace.
Oh what rubbish, his driving style is just incompatible with the brake then turn style of the McLaren.

Every other top tier car uses a trail braking style that Daniel prefers.

It’s been this way since Schumacher used it to great effect in his dominant Ferraris.
"In downforce we trust"

Shakeman

Ricciardo has proven he can’t adapt, all great drivers adapt their driving style to match the car, he clearly can’t. He’s made a lot of money out of his limited talent so fair play to him but he’s not fit to tie Lewis’ shoelaces let alone drive his car.

djos

Shakeman wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 00:47
Ricciardo has proven he can’t adapt, all great drivers adapt their driving style to match the car, he clearly can’t. He’s made a lot of money out of his limited talent so fair play to him but he’s not fit to tie Lewis’ shoelaces let alone drive his car.
Rubbish, he's had issues with only 1 car philosophy out of the 5 he's driven, and he comprehensively beat a 4 time champion in his rookie year at RBR. Also, his race craft is excellent, literally only 1 of his race wins was from pole (Monaco), the rest he were won the hard way (including Monza last year). He also never had a dominant car but was able to win against the best Car/Team combo F1 has ever seen (Mercedes).

Compare that to eg Bottas who only ever wins GP's from pole in the best car!

Even if Russel is the defacto Merc #1 driver, Daniel + George would still be a much better pairing than Lewis + Bottas was.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 00:54
Shakeman wrote:
Rubbish, he's had issues with only 1 car philosophy out of the 5 he's driven, and he comprehensively beat a 4 time champion in his rookie year at RBR. Also, his race craft is excellent, literally only 1 of his race wins was from pole (Monaco), the rest he were won the hard way (including Monza last year). He also never had a dominant car but was able to win against the best Car/Team combo F1 has ever seen (Mercedes).

Even if Russel is the defacto Merc #1 driver, Daniel + George would still be a much better pairing than Lewis + Bottas was.
You lost me there.

Best pairing for George would be Lando IMHO.

djos

Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:17
djos wrote:
Shakeman wrote:

You lost me there.

McLaren would never let Lando go.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:18
Zynerji wrote:
djos wrote:

You lost me there.

They are both young, and probably will race for another 10 years. It could happen!

djos

Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:20
djos wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

You lost me there.

They are both young, and probably will race for another 10 years. It could happen!
True, that's more of a medium to long term possibility - we are really talking about short term options, atm.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:22
Zynerji wrote:
djos wrote:

True, that's more of a medium to long term possibility - we are really talking about short term options, atm.
The way its going, they may try to snipe Albon..😏

djos

Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:32
djos wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Now that would be interesting. 🤣
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:34
Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:32
djos wrote:

Now that would be interesting. 🤣
Don't laugh. Easily the most improved driver IMHO.