Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: Pre-silly-season-silliness.

Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 03:09
djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:34
Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:32

The way its going, they may try to snipe Albon..😏
Now that would be interesting. 🤣
Don't laugh. Easily the most improved driver IMHO.
True, he's been doing a stellar job at Williams.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

Remember though, They would not be looking for a Hamilton replacement, that would be Russell's job, they would be looking for a Russell replacement.
To me, there does not seem anyone (other than Max, who is going nowhere) who currently fits the bill.

The possibilities are Lando and Chas. I can not see anyone else there or on the horizon.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Starscreamer

Big Tea wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 10:29
Remember though, They would not be looking for a Hamilton replacement, that would be Russell's job, they would be looking for a Russell replacement.
To me, there does not seem anyone (other than Max, who is going nowhere) who currently fits the bill.

The possibilities are Lando and Chas. I can not see anyone else there or on the horizon.
Daniel Ricciardo or Nyck de Vries second driver :wink:
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

Big Tea

Starscreamer wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 10:32
Big Tea wrote:

Daniel Ricciardo or Nyck de Vries second driver :wink:
Don't see it, but we (I) am used to looking at Merc as the top or two team, and it looks like that could change, so who knows.

I think De Vries has been unlucky with his timing and just has not had the flow. He is getting to the stage now where he is never going to be a driver teams want to bring on because of his age. Same with Danny, he is not going to be seen as an up and coming driver.

Just_a_fan

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 03:10
Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 03:09
djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 02:34

Now that would be interesting. 🤣
Don't laugh. Easily the most improved driver IMHO.
True, he's been doing a stellar job at Williams.
He's in a different environment with a different team focus. It's management 101 in action, basically.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shakeman

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 00:54

Rubbish, he's had issues with only 1 car philosophy out of the 5 he's driven, and he comprehensively beat a 4 time champion in his rookie year at RBR. Also, his race craft is excellent, literally only 1 of his race wins was from pole (Monaco), the rest he were won the hard way (including Monza last year). He also never had a dominant car but was able to win against the best Car/Team combo F1 has ever seen (Mercedes).

Compare that to eg Bottas who only ever wins GP's from pole in the best car!

Even if Russel is the defacto Merc #1 driver, Daniel + George would still be a much better pairing than Lewis + Bottas was.
Before rubbishing everything others may say you might have the temerity to ensure you're not talking bol.., rubbish.

Ricciardo has been unimpressive in not one but two McLaren cars both with very different handling characteristics. This McLaren drives nothing like last years if you listen to the drivers. Ricciardo is all at sea save on the odd occasion when the track requires little finesse.

Both George and Lewis are driving the doors off a very difficult handling Merc which changes it's balance at all stages of the corner. They are dragging by the scruff of the neck to podiums or thereabout nearly every weekend. I wonder if Ricciardo in the same car would struggle to beat Latifi in this year's Merc.

If Ricciardo is in F1 next year in any capacity he's a very lucky boy. I personally think he's done as far as F1 is concerned and could easily find another series he can be competitive in.

Vettel couldn't deal with a loose rear on the Red Bull and Ricciardo schooled him, it's kind of the position Ricciardo finds himself in now with Lando schooling him.

NL_Fer

Big Tea wrote:

If Lewis retires they will hire a new Bottas for Russel.

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 20:24
Big Tea wrote:

But who would fill the role? Someone good enough but 'manageable'? Albon possibly? Not many others. Stroll, Hmmm.
But no good as a 'bring on' driver to replace Russell.

djos

Shakeman wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 15:59
djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 00:54

Rubbish, he's had issues with only 1 car philosophy out of the 5 he's driven, and he comprehensively beat a 4 time champion in his rookie year at RBR. Also, his race craft is excellent, literally only 1 of his race wins was from pole (Monaco), the rest he were won the hard way (including Monza last year). He also never had a dominant car but was able to win against the best Car/Team combo F1 has ever seen (Mercedes).

Compare that to eg Bottas who only ever wins GP's from pole in the best car!

Even if Russel is the defacto Merc #1 driver, Daniel + George would still be a much better pairing than Lewis + Bottas was.
Before rubbishing everything others may say you might have the temerity to ensure you're not talking bol.., rubbish.

Ricciardo has been unimpressive in not one but two McLaren cars both with very different handling characteristics. This McLaren drives nothing like last years if you listen to the drivers. Ricciardo is all at sea save on the odd occasion when the track requires little finesse.

Both George and Lewis are driving the doors off a very difficult handling Merc which changes it's balance at all stages of the corner. They are dragging by the scruff of the neck to podiums or thereabout nearly every weekend. I wonder if Ricciardo in the same car would struggle to beat Latifi in this year's Merc.

If Ricciardo is in F1 next year in any capacity he's a very lucky boy. I personally think he's done as far as F1 is concerned and could easily find another series he can be competitive in.

Vettel couldn't deal with a loose rear on the Red Bull and Ricciardo schooled him, it's kind of the position Ricciardo finds himself in now with Lando schooling him.
Even the McLaren engineers have said “it’s still a McLaren“, meaning that the handling philosophy hasn’t changed!
"In downforce we trust"

Shakeman

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 23:33

Even the McLaren engineers have said “it’s still a McLaren“, meaning that the handling philosophy hasn’t changed!
A patently ludicrous conclusion of yours.

The very idea a 2021 car handles anything like a 2022 car is utterly preposterous.

djos

I’m not going to argue with you, it’s been very well documented that the MCL36 is still a “brake, then turn car”.
"In downforce we trust"

mendis

Big Tea wrote:

IMHO Russell is not a given at Mercedes if they don't have a car that fights for championships in 2023/24.

continuum16

Big Tea wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 22:28
NL_Fer wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

But who would fill the role? Someone good enough but 'manageable'? Albon possibly? Not many others. Stroll, Hmmm.
Ocon after Alpine bungles the next round of contract negotiations. :lol:

Mercedes ties, receptive to team orders, does a serviceable job that would merit a top drive but doubtful he would be able to win the championship in a marginally superior car, like Russell probably could.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Big Tea

continuum16 wrote:
09 Sep 2022, 00:02
Big Tea wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 22:28
NL_Fer wrote:

Ocon after Alpine bungles the next round of contract negotiations. :lol:

Mercedes ties, receptive to team orders, does a serviceable job that would merit a top drive but doubtful he would be able to win the championship in a marginally superior car, like Russell probably could.
I do not see Ocon as 'in that role' but some drivers seem to blossom when called to the front (Button, Hill?) so who knows.

TBH, We only know how drivers 'seem' to perform and not how much is the car, orders, preparation etc, so it could be....interesting.

JPower

djos wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 00:12

Oh what rubbish, his driving style is just incompatible with the brake then turn style of the McLaren.

Every other top tier car uses a trail braking style that Daniel prefers.
I don't think that's the case with this generation of car.