BRM V16

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Re: BRM V16

gruntguru wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 23:05
saviour stivala wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 21:43
Inlet valve 31.8mm. exhaust valve 37.8mm.
Pretty sure the inlet valve was larger than the exhaust - like most engines.
Just a typo, everything I type has them mandatorily :wink:

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

gruntguru wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 23:05
saviour stivala wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 21:43
Inlet valve 31.8mm. exhaust valve 37.8mm.
Pretty sure the inlet valve was larger than the exhaust - like most engines.
Yes. it was a typo between inletand exhaust sizes.

Billzilla
Billzilla

With those valve and bore diameters, the valve timing must have little-to-no overlap. Looking at the cross-section of the heads in that first video pretty much confirms that I think. Small amounts of lift with one valve seems to largely preclude the other from lifting as well.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Billzilla wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 23:13
With those valve and bore diameters, the valve timing must have little-to-no overlap. Looking at the cross-section of the heads in that first video pretty much confirms that I think. Small amounts of lift with one valve seems to largely preclude the other from lifting as well.
Yes, we call that the clip, for obvious reasons

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Billzilla wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 23:13
yes ...
neither the exhaust valve period (that I quoted) nor the exhaust system design correspond to large overlap
ie they were normal for the supercharged era

the era started by Mercedes & Fiat c.100 years ago - (the 2 valve large VIA fashion came from NA Fiat design diaspora)
at first boost was at limited to high rpm only
https://motorsportmagazine.com/archive/ ... -1922-1925
(btw the very successful Sunbeam (NA 2 litre) GP car had a 3 speed gearbox (saving length/weight) ...
some earlier famous NA cars ie Peugeots had such large ports and valves they had 5 speed gearboxes)

(imo)
high mechanical supercharging wouldn't develop worthwhile 'tuned length' exhaust effects
then with NA F1 (emulating GP motorcycles) overlap became important and designers chose smaller VIAs