BRM V16

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
johnny comelately

Re: BRM V16

gruntguru wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 23:05
saviour stivala wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 21:43
Inlet valve 31.8mm. exhaust valve 37.8mm.
Pretty sure the inlet valve was larger than the exhaust - like most engines.
Just a typo, everything I type has them mandatorily :wink:

saviour stivala

gruntguru wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 23:05
saviour stivala wrote:
08 Sep 2022, 21:43
Inlet valve 31.8mm. exhaust valve 37.8mm.
Pretty sure the inlet valve was larger than the exhaust - like most engines.
Yes. it was a typo between inletand exhaust sizes.

Billzilla

With those valve and bore diameters, the valve timing must have little-to-no overlap. Looking at the cross-section of the heads in that first video pretty much confirms that I think. Small amounts of lift with one valve seems to largely preclude the other from lifting as well.

johnny comelately

Billzilla wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 23:13
With those valve and bore diameters, the valve timing must have little-to-no overlap. Looking at the cross-section of the heads in that first video pretty much confirms that I think. Small amounts of lift with one valve seems to largely preclude the other from lifting as well.
Yes, we call that the clip, for obvious reasons

Tommy Cookers

Billzilla wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 23:13
yes ...
neither the exhaust valve period (that I quoted) nor the exhaust system design correspond to large overlap
ie they were normal for the supercharged era

the era started by Mercedes & Fiat c.100 years ago - (the 2 valve large VIA fashion came from NA Fiat design diaspora)
at first boost was at limited to high rpm only
https://motorsportmagazine.com/archive/ ... -1922-1925
(btw the very successful Sunbeam (NA 2 litre) GP car had a 3 speed gearbox (saving length/weight) ...
some earlier famous NA cars ie Peugeots had such large ports and valves they had 5 speed gearboxes)

(imo)
high mechanical supercharging wouldn't develop worthwhile 'tuned length' exhaust effects
then with NA F1 (emulating GP motorcycles) overlap became important and designers chose smaller VIAs