Safety Cars and Fairness

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
henry

Re: Safety Cars and Fairness

Sieper wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 14:25
henry wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 12:42
Sieper wrote:
17 Sep 2022, 11:46
I recently explained my father (doesn’t follow F1) the current SC concept and he got angry, he thought it very unfair. I said, that is racing, sometimes you get an unfair advantage. Sometimes for you, sometimes against you.
To be “fair” the rules should seek to minimise offset advantages. They don’t. In fact the SC rules seek to maximise the offset, the gains from field compression , “free” pit stops and lapped runner removal are hugely to the advantage of a runner who is far behind their competitor in front.

And if the “sometimes” results in reallocation of a one off result with no opportunity for redress your final point is not really valid.
Are you my father? :D

Yes, I agree they mostly benefit the people behind. I never said anything to the contrary. One would almost think this is intended?
Most definitely intended.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus