McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CjC
CjC

Re: McLaren MCL36

Nah, they’ll be behind Alpine still.
Alan Permane is expecting a podium in Asia with their new floor, I doubt Mclaren can match those aspirations
Just a fan's point of view

f1rules

diffuser wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 21:38
Blackout wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 18:02
f1rules wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 12:46
> Sidepod design updated, more undercut, interesting if they had to move some of the electronics placed in that area, which was a lot
To where? Dont forget that the reason they have that ultra slim splitter is because they moved all the electronics and stuff, that is usually placed in the splitter, to the sidepods.
The question marks for me are:
- why did they place their cooling components so far forwards?
- why didnt they use Merc's water air intercooler that was designed for this compressor, like the other Merc teams did, and continued with air-air interccolers that are placed so for from the engine?
- why they dont use big undercuts on the monocoque sides like most teams do, and opted for this monolithic monocoque shape instead?

All these points are obviously related, but what's the route cause? probably the monocoque shape..

RB who has the same split-turbo layout and also uses air-air intercoolers did the complete opposite. They did everything to put the coolers as close as possible to the compressor etc.
https://i.imgur.com/lLGD9fV.jpg

Regarding the new small undercut under the new extended sidepod lower lips, they hade some empty space there
https://i.imgur.com/A1kGw0k.jpg

I think what he's seeing is that the sidepod lower front entry section now starts at the same distance forward as the upper part. They've taken that and sculpted it in to a more gradual curve. Plus the new picture's sidepods are wider that the original release sidepods lending itself to looking like a larger undercut. The truth is the under cut is the same, it's the overcut forward and outward(horizontally) that has grown.
Agree, i think thats what they did

f1rules

yeah good questions, i never undestood that they didnt adopt mercs water/air intercooler either, and not just now but for years
All in all i think there is a good explanation for your questions, and it all comes down to, mclaren chose their concept cause they thought is was the best way forward, and it simply was a wrong concept, and now with the cars peculiarities compared to others, the splitter with flow directed around the sidepods, the forward moved sidepods in between crashstructure etc. they cant fully commit this year to the "winning" concept. But they are trying to get as close possible for to get data and direction for next year, where i have no doubt we will see a complete rb clone. And as long it moves them forward im fine with that.
On a side note. Aston has a very good interview with Dan Fallows, and will be very interesting what they come up with i think. So mclaren really need to step up i think.

Blackout wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 18:02
f1rules wrote:
27 Sep 2022, 12:46
> Sidepod design updated, more undercut, interesting if they had to move some of the electronics placed in that area, which was a lot
To where? Dont forget that the reason they have that ultra slim splitter is because they moved all the electronics and stuff, that is usually placed in the splitter, to the sidepods.
The question marks for me are:
- why did they place their cooling components so far forwards?
- why didnt they use Merc's water air intercooler that was designed for this compressor, like the other Merc teams did, and continued with air-air interccolers that are placed so for from the engine?
- why they dont use big undercuts on the monocoque sides like most teams do, and opted for this monolithic monocoque shape instead?

All these points are obviously related, but what's the route cause? probably the monocoque shape..

RB who has the same split-turbo layout and also uses air-air intercoolers did the complete opposite. They did everything to put the coolers as close as possible to the compressor etc.
https://i.imgur.com/lLGD9fV.jpg

Regarding the new small undercut under the new extended sidepod lower lips, they hade some empty space there
https://i.imgur.com/A1kGw0k.jpg

organic

f1rules

great =D> , and as expected, mclaren simply dont waste energy in doing renders just for fun, they released a big barca update beforehand via their renders years ago so

organic

Just another, better angle.. shows the upper leading edge of the entrance is set back relative to the lower edge. Definitely following the red bull concept

djos

organic wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 13:22
Just another, better angle.. shows the upper leading edge of the entrance is set back relative to the lower edge. Definitely following the red bull concept

Daniel getting the short end of the stick on this one! 😡
"In downforce we trust"

Stig14

djos wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 14:09
organic wrote:

Or they might be doing a back to back comparison in practice...

djos

Stig14 wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 14:28
djos wrote:
organic wrote:

I thought I saw it mentioned that only Lando was getting the upgrade. I would love that to be wrong.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

djos wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 14:31
Stig14 wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 14:28
djos wrote:

I thought I saw it mentioned that only Lando was getting the upgrade. I would love that to be wrong.
I believe journalists have based that aspect of the news on seeing one chassis constructed with upgrades and one without, not anything from the team. But i may be wrong about that.

Arcanum

If they can only manufacture an upgrade package for one car in time for Singapore, then do you wait for the next race in Japan for both cars, or give it to the driver with 19-points, or give it to the driver with 88-points? Especially in a tight battle for fourth in the constructors.

It's not Daniel getting the short end of the stick. Nothing is unfair. It's just the best resource trade-off.

[edit] And, as noted above, maybe they are doing comparisons between old & new package in FP1, and Daniel will get the upgrade in FP2.

Big Tea

Until it has been on track and found to be better the the 'old one' it cannot be considered an upgrade so not much point making two until it is decided.
It is the usual thing to do when getting the best driver to try it out and decide.
If one driver is having problems with the existing car, he is not going to be the best judge of if it is an improvement or not
Last edited by Big Tea on 28 Sep 2022, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM

Wait and see, Mclaren always tend to do back to backs old vs new. Journo's jumping the gun as usual.

AR3-GP

Lando is the only driver who will be continuing into next season w/ Mclaren so Lando's feedback on the development direction is more important than Daniel's.

Cs98

Tbh, it would make sense to not make one at all for Ricciardo unless this upgrade proves to be a success. Let Lando benchmark it. Don't waste money on Daniel unless it works.