2022 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 30 - Oct 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Cassius
Cassius

Re: 2022 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, Sep 30 - Oct 02

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:24
organic wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 17:17
https://i.redd.it/4eg32xdjj7r91.jpg

Will he come through the field again? Guaranteed SC/mixed conditions might suggest he has a chance
Okay.. Now.. Tell me. This is supposed to be a "weak" RB18 track and it is at least 6 tenths up once the tyres are in working temperature. Serious prediction here that Max will dominate the race.
0.6s is not enough to pass even with new regulations that allow for closer following. I expect a boring race for Max being stuck behind a slower car. 2019 was a parade. Only top 4 or 5 might have a chance for a win with some SC / pit stop luck.

chrisc90

Cassius wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
organic wrote:

Will he come through the field again? Guaranteed SC/mixed conditions might suggest he has a chance
Okay.. Now.. Tell me. This is supposed to be a "weak" RB18 track and it is at least 6 tenths up once the tyres are in working temperature. Serious prediction here that Max will dominate the race.
0.6s is not enough to pass even with new regulations that allow for closer following. I expect a boring race for Max being stuck behind a slower car. 2019 was a parade. Only top 4 or 5 might have a chance for a win with some SC / pit stop luck.
Didn't they say the same about Hungary....and the new regulations put the pro's that suggested that to bed.

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
organic wrote:

A fight through would be exciting, but let's hope for a shocker with a first time winner and some headlines!

falonso81

Cassius wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:23
He was up 2 to 5 tenths after s2 on both his aborted laps on everyone else who was running at that same time. He was fastest and didn't make any major mistakes in those laps unlike others. I don't care if you call it a monster lap or not. The independent fan will see he again would have come out on top in a car that did not seem the fastest this weekend.
Leclerc was personal best on S1 and S2 before aborting his last lap. We really can't draw any conclusions in a qualy session with changing conditions and worn soft tyres. This was not a normal Q3 in any stretch and we have close to zero data on race pace. Straight line speed advantage of the RB will surely give a big boost to Max tomorrow but i am expecting it to be tougher than usual for him to sail past everyone.

ringo

There will be overtaking. This track always has overtaking, especially on offset tyre degradation.
And if it weren't for the driver and team errors redbull would be on pole by half a second. So the car is still dominant.
Max can do a long first stint on the mediums to get into clean air, and that should set him up nicely.
As for Ferrari, I am not predicting anything from those guys. I just wish them the best.

If there is rain.. the race should be exciting. When was the last time that a race had rain here?
For Sure!!

Sofa King
Sofa King

The midfield and Perez are irrelevant to Max. He’ll effectively have a podium by lap 5 and then a SC and rain mean he has as good of a chance of winning as LEC and HAM. For the sake of F1, I hope it’s a close race tomorrow

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Cassius wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:04
falonso81 wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 18:06
Shame for Max but i disagree that it was a monster lap. Charles did not put in a lap at the end and the track was evolving at a very fast rate, so much that anyone of the top 4-5 had a shot at pole if they were the last to cross the line.
RB was on fumes and the Honda engine turned up more than Ferrari.

Yeah he was up on a lap leclerc did way earlier in the session. Leclerc backed out of his final lap. And Max’s s3 wasnt looking tidy at all. It was mostly the track evolution that made it look like he was that much faster.

Will be interesting tomorrow to see whos got the pace. Doubt max is going to win. Everything so far this weekend points to a bad and controversial weekend for redbull. I expect that to continue tomorrow.
He was up 2 to 5 tenths after s2 on both his aborted laps on everyone else who was running at that same time. He was fastest and didn't make any major mistakes in those laps unlike others. I don't care if you call it a monster lap or not. The independent fan will see he again would have come out on top in a car that did not seem the fastest this weekend.

You need to subscribe to f1 tv pro.
He made a mistake on the penultimate and backed off. He is telling the media that he was told to back off but that is false. He chose to back off knowing he had one more lap and the current lap would not have beat pole. But that wasnt the right decision. He should have kept going and would have ended up closer to the front row.

Heres the radio transcript excerpt with the chain of events:

“Lambiase Verstappen begins his penultimate lap
Okay. Let’s go.
Lambiase Verstappen makes a mistake at turn 16 and backs off. Lambiase spots it and tells him to prepare for his final effort
Okay, Max, we’ve got 15 seconds margin. We can increase the gap to Gasly. Increase gap to Gasly. Recharge on, mode one. Recharge on, mode one. I’ll let you know where to go.“

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

ringo wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 18:29
No sense in analyzing a woulda coulda shoulda lap. Because he was under fueled that weight advantage contributed to the performance, and that's why teams fuel low in the first place. We do not know if it was sufficiently fueled if he would have been on pole or not.
Poor planning by redbull, and plus Max was making mistakes all over the place. Likewise Perez, but the car is somehow fast enough to still put itself on the front row. I was quite surprised that it made so much time on the straights.

I still think Max will win. Overtakes do happen at this track, and with the ability to follow closer, cars will have no issue keeping in tow until they come onto the straight and do an easy overtake.
Max can be up to P4 by lap 10.

I believe Hamilton and Mercedes can pull a good strategy to win this race.Tyre deg may be good for them and I think Perez will just not be up to the task to stay ahead, I am expecting mistakes from him and Charles.
+1 lap of fuel would have cost him maybe half a tenth. But it is more convenient to spit out hate, we know.

chrisc90

Hammerfist wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 22:42
Cassius wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:04

Yeah he was up on a lap leclerc did way earlier in the session. Leclerc backed out of his final lap. And Max’s s3 wasnt looking tidy at all. It was mostly the track evolution that made it look like he was that much faster.

Will be interesting tomorrow to see whos got the pace. Doubt max is going to win. Everything so far this weekend points to a bad and controversial weekend for redbull. I expect that to continue tomorrow.

He made a mistake on the penultimate and backed off. He is telling the media that he was told to back off but that is false. He chose to back off knowing he had one more lap and the current lap would not have beat pole. But that wasnt the right decision. He should have kept going and would have ended up closer to the front row.

Heres the radio transcript excerpt with the chain of events:

“Lambiase Verstappen begins his penultimate lap
Okay. Let’s go.
Lambiase Verstappen makes a mistake at turn 16 and backs off. Lambiase spots it and tells him to prepare for his final effort
Okay, Max, we’ve got 15 seconds margin. We can increase the gap to Gasly. Increase gap to Gasly. Recharge on, mode one. Recharge on, mode one. I’ll let you know where to go.“
He didnt really make a mistake at T16 though, just the car slid around a bit. I think GP wanted him to be last over the line on a push lap to benefit from a quickly ramping up track.

Your not getting confused with the push lap before those final 2 laps are you where he was out of shape in he same corner and the one after?

Wouter

Hammerfist wrote:
Cassius wrote:

That isn't correct.
The Austrian advisor explained the aborted lap just before Verstappen's second attempt. At ORF, Marko says:
"We drove two purple sector times there, but we came very close to Pierre Gasly. That is why we decided to sacrifice the lap.
With the confusion that arose, we wanted to record another lap, but we overlooked the fact that we only had fuel for five laps."
The Power of Dreams!

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Cassius wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 21:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
organic wrote:

Vettel won from 3rd in 2019 due to a mega outlap. It will not be that easy for Leclerc.

Verstappen can still win this one. He can start on hard tyres and wait for a SC in the 2nd half of the race.
If he's aggressive he can be in a position to undercut everyone like Vettel in 2019, which wasn't even in the DRS zone of the top 2 before his stop.
This might be the track where the undercut is the most powerful.

hollus

Wouter wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 23:07
Hammerfist wrote:
Cassius wrote:

That isn't correct.
The Austrian advisor explained the aborted lap just before Verstappen's second attempt. At ORF, Marko says:
"We drove two purple sector times there, but we came very close to Pierre Gasly. That is why we decided to sacrifice the lap.
With the confusion that arose, we wanted to record another lap, but we overlooked the fact that we only had fuel for five laps."
That is a bit strange. After two purple sectors, how much battery could he have left? And tire life?
Compromising a superb lap (with Gasly in the end) for a definitively compromised lap sounds ilogical.
Rivals, not enemies.

piast9
piast9

hollus wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 23:22
That is a bit strange. After two purple sectors, how much battery could he have left? And tire life?
Compromising a superb lap (with Gasly in the end) for a definitively compromised lap sounds ilogical.
It looked strange to me as well so I've re-watched everything on the F1TV. Verstappen's race engineer told him before the penultimate lap that when he was recharging that he is good for two push laps. Max was not so convinced about that saying that he doubts that the battery can do that. Maybe that, in addition to getting close to Gasly, was the reason that Max eased off at the end of the first of those push laps.

chrisc90

piast9 wrote:
02 Oct 2022, 00:09
hollus wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 23:22
It looked strange to me as well so I've re-watched everything on the F1TV. Verstappen's race engineer told him before the penultimate lap that when he was recharging that he is good for two push laps. Max was not so convinced about that saying that he doubts that the battery can do that. Maybe that, in addition to getting close to Gasly, was the reason that Max eased off at the end of the first of those push laps.
On the flip side to that though, good to know that the battery is good for 2 pretty long laps. Not sure how much he’d manage to recharge in the 2-3 corners he backed out a bit but that is impressive within itself given he was faster on both aborted laps

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Wouter wrote:
01 Oct 2022, 23:07
Hammerfist wrote:
Cassius wrote:

That isn't correct.
You’d rather believe good old helmut marko rather than the official radio transcript and video evidence that verstappen missed an apex completely and was completely out of shape on exit. That was never going to beat provisional pole even though he was purple in the first 2 sectors at that time. He knew it and backed off. Simple as that.