Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Zynerji

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Amazing visuals, and a pretty killer system.

I often wonder if the MVRC contest on here will ever reach a level where donations* can put together a box to crunch their data at this level.

*money/hardware/operation

Vanja #66

Looks like the model used was developed for 3D printing, so other than pretty colours doing things, sadly has no technical value...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2990512/files
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Koldskaal

I have been keeping an eye on this. From my understanding this uses the Lattice Boltzmann Method, which is supposedly categorized as DNS. Therefor you need a very fine "Lattice" to resolve the smallest turbulence scales, as there is no other way to take turbulence into account. If they find a way to do sub grid modeling and nonuniform mesh, then I will be very interested.
The compute times they posted on twitter are absolutely insane compared to fvm, for a singe Titan XP card. The simulation on the cow was 215 million lattice points, 28k timesteps, 23 min compute, on one graphics card :shock:
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian