2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Zynerji

Re: 2022 Williams Racing F1 Team

Ricciardo to Williams confirmed! 🤭🤭

continuum16

diffuser wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 15:19
organic wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 12:51
DChemTech wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 12:38

The media were quick to report Nyck allegedly would go to AT, but for as far we know, all he did was talk. Without an announcement, I don't rank either option higher than the other. And hell, Nyck could even go to Alpine - but even if that were announced I wouldn't take it as definitive :D
Eh if van Haren is reporting it as essentially a done deal, that's good enough for me. He's not just media but has been 100% accurate with RB/AT reports in the past. He's extremely close to the Verstappens and clearly has inside info into RB
Count me in the "ain't over till the fat lady sings" Box.
Any driver situation which includes Alpine as a participant can't be predicted these days. Plus, why would AT even want de Vries? He's older than Max and has less experience than Tsunoda (in F1). Not exactly the most forward-thinking approach, but these days nothing surprises me. The only thing I can think of is that RB wants to go double-Dutch from 2024/5.

Williams probably would want to wait a year on Sargeant, but if they can't, then I think it will be him. I doubt he would do a worse job than Latifi...
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

diffuser

continuum16 wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 17:03
diffuser wrote:
organic wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 12:51

Eh if van Haren is reporting it as essentially a done deal, that's good enough for me. He's not just media but has been 100% accurate with RB/AT reports in the past. He's extremely close to the Verstappens and clearly has inside info into RB
Any driver situation which includes Alpine as a participant can't be predicted these days. Plus, why would AT even want de Vries? He's older than Max and has less experience than Tsunoda (in F1). Not exactly the most forward-thinking approach, but these days nothing surprises me. The only thing I can think of is that RB wants to go double-Dutch from 2024/5.

Williams probably would want to wait a year on Sargeant, but if they can't, then I think it will be him. I doubt he would do a worse job than Latifi...
I would suspect it's cause Gasly wants to leave, no RBR future for him, and Alpine want him. They can force him to stay at SAT but how motivated would he be?

I guess Gasly had a contract that force him into resigning with SAT this spring. It doesn't otherwise make sense that he signed so early with all the driver seats that weren't settled.

continuum16

diffuser wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 17:53
continuum16 wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I would suspect it's cause Gasly wants to leave, no RBR future for him, and Alpine want him. They can force him to stay at SAT but how motivated would he be?

I guess Gasly had a contract that force him into resigning with SAT this spring. It doesn't otherwise make sense that he signed so early with all the driver seats that weren't settled.
I get Gasly's motivation to leave, I'm more surprised that de Vries would be a top choice to come in. I mean, Monza was impressive but a 27 year old Mercedes driver doesn't seem like RB's typical hunting ground. Maybe that says more about the RB junior program than de Vries, though. I mean, Checo wasn't affiliated either before he arrived after 2020. If you believe (as I do) that Yuki's backing was mostly Honda rather than RB, then Max would be the only RB junior driving for an RB team in 2023.

Only a few years ago STR/AT drivers weren't even guaranteed a full season and now the turnover, for better or for worse, has considerably slowed down.

The driver market is at a true standoff right now, with AT/Williams/Alpine all staring at each other, while Haas watches on. The question is whether Capito or Rossi will get impatient before Marko decides what to do with Gasly. The irony is that I can see Williams signing Nyck (with a sweetener from Mercedes, maybe?) meaning Gasly can't be replaced, so then Alpine will be back to square one again.

In which case, I eagerly await to see what bizarre take Rossi has after bungling another round of negotiations... :lol:
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

organic

continuum16 wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 23:41
diffuser wrote:
continuum16 wrote:

I get Gasly's motivation to leave, I'm more surprised that de Vries would be a top choice to come in. I mean, Monza was impressive but a 27 year old Mercedes driver doesn't seem like RB's typical hunting ground. Maybe that says more about the RB junior program than de Vries, though. I mean, Checo wasn't affiliated either before he arrived after 2020. If you believe (as I do) that Yuki's backing was mostly Honda rather than RB, then Max would be the only RB junior driving for an RB team in 2023.

Only a few years ago STR/AT drivers weren't even guaranteed a full season and now the turnover, for better or for worse, has considerably slowed down.

The driver market is at a true standoff right now, with AT/Williams/Alpine all staring at each other, while Haas watches on. The question is whether Capito or Rossi will get impatient before Marko decides what to do with Gasly. The irony is that I can see Williams signing Nyck (with a sweetener from Mercedes, maybe?) meaning Gasly can't be replaced, so then Alpine will be back to square one again.

In which case, I eagerly await to see what bizarre take Rossi has after bungling another round of negotiations... :lol:
NdV at AT is very similar to Hartley's stint at TR. It's not unprecedented, especially with the lack of developed talent that the RB academy is producing at the moment. Hadjar/Iwasa are the most promising right now and they're 1-2 years away; NdV is a decent stop-gap. Also has extra dutch marketing potential (not that RB needs any help with that tbf)

ringo

AT could take Shumacher.
For Sure!!

Swed3121

continuum16 wrote:
23 Sep 2022, 23:41
diffuser wrote:
continuum16 wrote:

I think the more clear reason for the stalemate, is the fact that none of the drivers looking at drives next year are really a hot commodity,
DeVries almost surely has an F1 exit clause in whatever Fe/Wec Drive he has
Sargent doesn’t have a super license until Abu Dhabi (same for doohan)
It’s not likely Hulkenberg or Giovinazzi are going anywhere soon and Gasly exit is all but written in stone.
I have a feeling, that currently Marko is in meeting with however DeVries has a deal with to figure out how much money they want.
There just isn’t a rush

proteus

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

You'd think they could get that shot with the hard or soft tires ? Not yellow Mediums!!!!

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 02:21
You'd think they could get that shot with the hard or soft tires ? Not yellow Mediums!!!!
For sure!

chrisc90

F1 twins(on Instagram) said Jost was going to release driver info on Saturday at the pop up tent centre thing

Cuky

diffuser wrote:
21 Oct 2022, 02:21
I have a feeling that they must use mediums for those promo shots due to contracts. Pirelli historically marked their tires, at least in racing, with yellow logos so this might be due to brand recognition.

organic

Beans spilled early. Announcement was planned for tomorrow!

Mr Brooksy

WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

BrunoH

seems so....