Is the RB18 dominant?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wesley123

Re: Is the RB18 dominant?

marcel171281 wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 10:44
Andres125sx wrote:
28 Oct 2022, 07:50
Perez will probably beat Lecrerc in the table (only 2 points down now), despite the terrible start of the season for the mexican. Do we really need any more evidence?
Verstappen is leading Perez by 126 points, despite an even more terrible start to the season. Do we really need any more evidence?
All that proves is that there was a clear driver preference within the team.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

Perez was average at best this year and is in second place. Says enough about the car. Let's close this thread.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

Factually incorrect.

DDopey

We can support this discussion with data. I saw that there was a new topic opened which claimed dominance based on number of races won, but I think that is not a good measure. Too many variables ignored.

My thought was, but I am open to suggestions, to look at the data. It's used before on this forum (https://github.com/theOehrly/Fast-F1) and extract data to compare car dominance. It will take some effort so I would love an agreement between to ones who say RB is the dominant car, and the ones who don't.

Now this already starts of course with the definition of dominance, for me that is a massive speed difference over other cars. But I can imagine others have a different definition, in which case this exercise also does not make a lot of sense.

My starting point would be;

Take Ferrari, RB and Merc as comparison.

- Average in qualifying over the past 10 years. Those races where not all drivers of the three teams reached Q3, ignore those qualifying sessions completely.
-Average in race pace over the past 10 years. Take the top 20 fastest round times of each race. Those races where not all drivers got 20 laps, ignore those races.

I think the big discussion point to agree on is the average of two drivers. For me I think it is fair to take the average as these are the top teams, with drivers with the most potential to get most out of the cars. But I am not willing to do this exercise (will take me a couple of hours) if it does not help the discussion.

Would this be something people would see value in (from both sides of the argument) ?.

Sieper

There is always value in comparing numbers. It can give insight, but it is an enormous task, there always is a story behind numbers as well and you won’t get the result you’d like, people coming closer. However admirable.

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 17:47
Factually incorrect.
So Perez is not in second despite being average and self admittedly not getting to grips with the car?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 00:08
Sieper wrote:
29 Oct 2022, 17:47
Factually incorrect.
So Perez is not in second despite being average and self admittedly not getting to grips with the car?
He wasn’t when you posted that message. He was in third at that time. Now he is back to second after an abysmal Ferrari weekend.

SiLo

Come end of the season, this car will absolutely be considered a dominant one. Their only issue appears to be that it's not incredible in qualifying (or hasn't been until very, very recently).

Ferrari kept them honest for a little bit, but once the first 5or 6 races were done it's been entirely the RB and Verstappen show. The Ferrari now reminds me of the 2013 Mercedes. Rapid over a single lap, bit trash once the race starts.
Felipe Baby!

Sevach

SiLo wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 18:04
Come end of the season, this car will absolutely be considered a dominant one. Their only issue appears to be that it's not incredible in qualifying (or hasn't been until very, very recently).

Ferrari kept them honest for a little bit, but once the first 5or 6 races were done it's been entirely the RB and Verstappen show. The Ferrari now reminds me of the 2013 Mercedes. Rapid over a single lap, bit trash once the race starts.
Yes, early season it wasn't a fantastic qualy car, but a lot of dominant cars (F2002, RB13 for example) had that at moments.

RonMexico

Sevach wrote:
03 Nov 2022, 18:11
SiLo wrote:

Yes, early season it wasn't a fantastic qualy car, but a lot of dominant cars (F2002, RB13 for example) had that at moments.
The RB13 was the third fastest car that season

InsaneX_Badger

SiLo wrote:

Reminds me more so of Merc 2019, car that was still strong in quali but not the clear cut best, but no one could match it in race pace and often would only get a result due to the regulations making overtaking harder.

AR3-GP

SiLo wrote:

The Ferrari much worse. It's evident that the faults of the Ferrari were papered over in a vain attempt to be competitive. PU is chocolate. They were racing with violent porpoising. That Ferrari was never ready to take on the RB18.

DDopey

You would expect on a technical forum a more data driven approach :) . But I see there is not a lot of interest in that.

Stu

The data came much earlier in the thread, it didn’t make much of a difference.
However, much as with statistics, you can prove what you want by being selective with how you present your data.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

johnny comelately

Stu wrote:
04 Nov 2022, 12:20
The data came much earlier in the thread, it didn’t make much of a difference.
However, much as with statistics, you can prove what you want by being selective with how you present your data.
Lies, damn lies and statistics
thank you Mr Twain, Mark