How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
MadMax

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 03:45
MadMax wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 01:07
mendis wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 21:42

I hope you are not speaking for all Scots. How are Scots British (read English for convenience), regardless if they gain Independence or not? A Scot is a Scot. You as an individual may have a different opinion, just like the 44% had different one to the 56%.
Scots are British because Great Britain is the Union of Scotland and England (with Wales who were annexed by the English back in the 1284 and are thus technically part of England.). The UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So the Northern Irish are not British, although some claim to be.

And, no, you can't say "English" as convenience for "British". Unless you're USian, of course, who regularly get that wrong. The English and the Scots are different. Both are British.
I think historically.... There was a place called "Britannia" and another place north of that.. The land of the "Celts" or somehting to that effect.

Back then it was two different races or nations basically.
The earliest known written name is actually Albion - that was the ancient Greeks. The Romans called it Britannia. That just referred to the whole group of islands off the European coast of France that we now know as "the British Isles" - a term that includes the island of Ireland, even though the residents of much of that island are very much not British.

The joy of living with very old names for things.

mendis

MadMax wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 10:31
mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 03:40
MadMax wrote:

Scots are British because Great Britain is the Union of Scotland and England (with Wales who were annexed by the English back in the 1284 and are thus technically part of England.). The UK is Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So the Northern Irish are not British, although some claim to be.

And, no, you can't say "English" as convenience for "British". Unless you're USian, of course, who regularly get that wrong. The English and the Scots are different. Both are British.
This is not about the theoretical definition of what a British is. This is about what people living in Scotland are currently associating with as an identity and the potential lack of unanimous acceptance in their buying of British driver glorification by Sky F1, which people are peddling as a norm acceptable to Brits, including Scots.

If I am a Scot and do not associate myself as British and not interested in British driver glorification but I only get Sky F1 to watch, you are not representing me when you say it's perfectly normal that Sky F1 glorifies British driver and I don't have a problem as a Scot.
It's not a theoretical definition of "British". It's a legal one. A Scot, like an Englishman and a Welshman, will have "British" in their passport. A Scotsman is British until Scotland secedes from the Union. At that point, Scotland can call its citizens whatever it/they want. Until that point, they are British.

As for a Scot not being interested in a fellow British racing driver, well that's life.
But when I pay to watch a content on the only choice I have, I would feel cheated to be provided a biased content that wouldn't be suiting my sensibilities. Best case, I would expect a more neutral content from my provider and not a highly opininated one.

mendis

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 03:47
mendis wrote:
MadMax wrote:

This is not about the theoretical definition of what a British is. This is about what people living in Scotland are currently associating with as an identity and the potential lack of unanimous acceptance in their buying of British driver glorification by Sky F1, which people are peddling as a norm acceptable to Brits, including Scots.

If I am a Scot and do not associate myself as British and not interested in British driver glorification but I only get Sky F1 to watch, you are not representing me when you say it's perfectly normal that Sky F1 glorifies British driver and I don't have a problem as a Scot.
Hold up.

When has formula 1 coverage ever NOT glorify British drivers?
When they are backmarkers, may be? Max Chiltons, Paul Di Restas, Jolyon Palmers etc.,

Just to be on topic, this is about Sky F1 and not F1 in general.

Swed3121

mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 11:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:
mendis wrote:

Hold up.

When they are backmarkers, may be? Max Chiltons, Paul Di Restas, Jolyon Palmers etc.,

They didn’t seem to like Coulthard, particularly when he drove for RB

RonMexico

Swed3121 wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 12:11
mendis wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Hold up.

Not sure about that. Sky had nothing to do with F1 back then and Brundle was Coulthard's manager

mendis

RonMexico wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 12:32
Swed3121 wrote:
mendis wrote:

Not sure about that. Sky had nothing to do with F1 back then and Brundle was Coulthard's manager
There was a famous saying about DC. If he was winning, he was British otherwise, he was Scot. :)

RonMexico

mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 13:16
RonMexico wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:

There was a famous saying about DC. If he was winning, he was British otherwise, he was Scot. :)
Andy Murray got that treatment then after :)

F1Supporter

Thats just how the home nations joke and see each other in general.

As for sky sports, they are selling their product to the British fans, of course its going to lean towards the Brits. Same as any othe country. Nothing wrong with that at all.
If British commentary is used for the F1TV, that just shows F1TV need to up their game and get their own team.

People today would have a fit if they heard the way Murray talked about Mansell and Hil. And Murray is regarded as the best of all time in the F1 commentary game.

Sieper

RonMexico wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 14:01
mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 13:16
RonMexico wrote:

Andy Murray got that treatment then after :)
Mount Murray, Henman/Hamilton Hill, Russell Ridge, Norris Knoll.

Big Tea

mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 11:28
MadMax wrote:
mendis wrote:
It's not a theoretical definition of "British". It's a legal one. A Scot, like an Englishman and a Welshman, will have "British" in their passport. A Scotsman is British until Scotland secedes from the Union. At that point, Scotland can call its citizens whatever it/they want. Until that point, they are British.

As for a Scot not being interested in a fellow British racing driver, well that's life.
But when I pay to watch a content on the only choice I have, I would feel cheated to be provided a biased content that wouldn't be suiting my sensibilities. Best case, I would expect a more neutral content from my provider and not a highly opininated one.
But it is intended for British viewers, so the same applies in reverse. Other countries have their own teams, if yours does not that is not the fault of Sky UK, it is the fault of either the sky service you get or the viewers of that country not requiring it. If it was profitable for them to put it on they would.

BTW, comparing it with almost any other sport it is very neutral, and also compared to commentary broadcast in other countries. I watched from Spain many times and the only driver was Alonso, except all the other cars deliberately getting in his way
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

British viewers shouldn’t be fed dribble from some hardcore fan just because they are British. That is unfair to them.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 23:21
British viewers shouldn’t be fed dribble from some hardcore fan just because they are British. That is unfair to them.
I would not exactly call the Sky team 'some hardcore fan', They have 4 decades of F1 racing between them in at least 8 different teams.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

I am talking about Ted K.

GrizzleBoy

Ted is a hardcore fan of what?

The polarisation is off the charts these days.

MadMax

mendis wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 11:28
MadMax wrote:
mendis wrote:

As the song goes: "cry me a river".

There are ways to get F1 which avoid Sky's commentary if one is that worried about it. If they don't care enough to make that effort then...m'eh.