Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Red Bull RB18

Cameras on Max's car on first run in Brazil looking at inside of wheel fairing/front suspension/front brake duct. In Mexico it was also reported that they ran some test part on first run of fp1. Surprising to do it on a sprint weekend!

organic

New rear-wing/Beam-wing configuration this weekend.

We hadn't seen them try the medium DF wing with the high df beam wing configuration until now:

Brazil:

KAIZEN

For those who love F1 technology.
What does the connecting bar to the anti-roll bar look like?

scarbs

KAIZEN wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 04:55
For those who love F1 technology.
What does the connecting bar to the anti-roll bar look like?

https://f1-motorsports-gp.com/wp-conten ... us-2-1.jpg
They look like spung links, using bellevilles or similar. Thus dual rate roll stiffness.
It's the the same with the heave reaction bar.

west52keep64

organic wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 18:01
Cameras on Max's car on first run in Brazil looking at inside of wheel fairing/front suspension/front brake duct. In Mexico it was also reported that they ran some test part on first run of fp1. Surprising to do it on a sprint weekend!
Given they've wrapped up both championships and have a WT + CFD penalty for the next 12 months, I'd argue it's not surprising at all.

The question is, what are they looking at, that area is largely "spec". I wonder if they are looking in to why the fairing failed recently?

aleks_ader

Depends of FOV of camera in question.

If it is even IR camera they could get quite a lot of data. Logging surface brake duct temps (inlet/exit), angles of suspensions, torsion of wheel assembly and maybe even endplate flex.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

chrisc90

Would the be allowed to run next years parts on this years car? I presume they will be allowed providing its within tolerances. Not sure if there are any 2023 changes in that area though? Unless as someone said above its to do with suspension or heat aerodynamics.

PlatinumZealot

Those camera may be looking at flexibility of the wheel fairings
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jjn9128

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 13:08
Those camera may be looking at flexibility of the wheel fairings
Pretty safe assumption looking at the dots they stuck on
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jz11

looking at where the cameras are mounted, and the points on the fairing, I'd guess that it might be more to do with the caster angle of the upright, maybe they have some unwanted deflection there, or the opposite - trying to induce it in a controlled manner

the fairing, in the plane the camera can easily see, is pretty rigid, hence I'd say they aren't looking at the fairing itself

Edax

aleks_ader wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 22:23
Depends of FOV of camera in question.

If it is even IR camera they could get quite a lot of data. Logging surface brake duct temps (inlet/exit), angles of suspensions, torsion of wheel assembly and maybe even endplate flex.
Yes but I guess most of these items could also be, or are already logged by other sensors.

Maybe far-fetched but could they be trying to fit a schlieren camera to look at the airflow.

Not sure how they could make it work with low lighting. But I could imagine that would come in handy with the reduced wind tunnel time.

AR3-GP

Any beam wing photos from this FP2?

AR3-GP

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:06
Any beam wing photos from this FP2?
To answer this:

FromGP2toWDC

Hi Moderators,

Any plans for a RB19 thread to follow on?

Stu

There will be (as there will for all cars); feel free to start a ‘RB19 speculation thread’, there is one for the W14.

To be honest, unless there are any leaks, it will be pure ‘this is what I want to see’ speculation at this stage.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.