2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MadMax
MadMax

Re: 2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:07
MadMax wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:02
mzso wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 22:54

Well the rules state they need to leave a car's width, and Verstappen was on the edge of the track, Hamilton just drove into him. But of course the FIA keep ignoring their own rules all the time... I remember the run of idiocy in the first races by stroll, when he kept colliding into people and others got punished. This was the same nonsense.
Max admitted that he just drove there knowing that there would be no room.

The stewards stated, quite correctly, that Max hadn't got the move done in T1 and therefore was in no position to expect to take in T2. They said that Hamilton could have given a little more room but that the collision was predominantly Max's fault.
Fair summation imho
Brundle doubled down on blaming Lewis even after Max given the penalty. Made me laugh. And people accuse all of Sky of being pro-Hamilton. :lol:

MadMax
MadMax

Poleman wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:06
.If Mercedes was up there since the begining and Hamilton was his competitor,i would bet money that we would have a repeat of 2021.Congrats to Russell for his maiden win,even if people said that he was kind of lucky of the contact between VER and HAM he really drove a solid race ,well deserved.
If Mercedes had been competing from day one, George would probably be world champion...he'd have been hoovering up wins and points whilst everyone else was fighting and crashing. :lol:
Last edited by MadMax on 13 Nov 2022, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

chrisc90

MadMax wrote:
mzso wrote:
Tvetovnato wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 22:14

A dirty move by your own rulebook right?
Well the rules state they need to leave a car's width, and Verstappen was on the edge of the track, Hamilton just drove into him. But of course the FIA keep ignoring their own rules all the time... I remember the run of idiocy in the first races by stroll, when he kept colliding into people and others got punished. This was the same nonsense.

The stewards stated, quite correctly, that Max hadn't got the move done in T1 and therefore was in no position to expect to take in T2. They said that Hamilton could have given a little more room but that the collision was predominantly Max's fault.
So the same precedent going forward now if a car turns in on someone else or pushes them off at the apex of the corner whilst being alongside?

MadMax
MadMax

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:13
MadMax wrote:
mzso wrote:

So the same precedent going forward now if a car turns in on someone else or pushes them off at the apex of the corner whilst being alongside?
I think it was basically the same as Monza 21 where Max did the same thing and got a penalty there too.

I doubt you can set a precedent for every corner based on a chicane incident.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

littlebigcat wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 22:22
Perez crossing the line

https://streamja.com/5qzeg
Ouch. I think a war has just started.

chrisc90

MadMax wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:14
chrisc90 wrote:
MadMax wrote:

I think it was basically the same as Monza 21 where Max did the same thing and got a penalty there too.

Max was off the track at monza. This was a case of Lewis not leaving enough room on the inside when there was a car alongside him.

A bit like that Lewis did at Spa.

MadMax
MadMax

chrisc90 wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:23
MadMax wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Max was off the track at monza. This was a case of Lewis not leaving enough room on the inside when there was a car alongside him.

The car wasn't alongside him. It came steaming in.

Look, Max admitted in an interview to deliberately driving in to the contact. There is no argument on whose shoulders the blame sits for this one.

cplchanb
cplchanb

chrisc90 wrote:
MadMax wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Ham was ahead already turning in and is entitled to take the racing line. max said it himself. he just bonzaied the move just like he did in AD 2021 lap 1. just because you divebomb in doesnt entitle you the space automatically.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MadMax wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:27
chrisc90 wrote:
MadMax wrote:

The car wasn't alongside him. It came steaming in.

Look, Max admitted in an interview to deliberately driving in to the contact. There is no argument on whose shoulders the blame sits for this one.
I think you are letting your imagination run wild with that interview. It's not the smoking gun you claim it is.

Max wasn't really under any obligation to back out when he's racing for position. It just so happens that if either driver had backed out, there would not have been a collision. The stewards can't tell a driver they have to backout. It's up the driver. All the stewards can do is administer penalties if they feel a driver did something wrong. Whether Max claims he could have backed out or chose not to is tangential because it's the same thing you could ask Hamilton. Hamilton likewise chose not to backout.

It really doesn't matter if you knew there would be a collision if you feel you are entitled to space and stay in the gap anyway. Hamilton likewise must have seen Max's car (or maybe he said he didn't see?).

wogx

VER was alongside, HAM left no space.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

DGP123
DGP123

In that pic, Ham is braking or easing off to make that corner. Max is just steam rolling in there, full on divebomb and hoping Hamilton yields. Max had no intention of slowing for that corner, so it makes out Max is alongside and genuinely trying to make the corner.

Gooch
Gooch

chrisc90 wrote:
I hope so. It has taken them forever but the FIA finally has a document which suggests that the 'overtaking rules' are really secondary to whether or not the driver is keeping the car on track. Obviously there is a lot of room for interpretation as we will never really know if Verstappen was going to make the corner (my bet, his car straddles the white line on corner exit while Hamilton is pushed wide) or similar for future instances, but I hate hate hate the idea that as long as you get your axle alongside you can just do whatever you want and normal driving etiquette goes out the window.

chrisc90

wogx wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:36
https://i.redd.it/j1ubtr3rmrz91.jpg

Yep:

As per the rulebook.

For overtaking on the inside of a corner
In order for a car being overtaken to be required to give sufficient room to an overtaking car, the overtaking car needs to have a significant portion of the car alongside the car being overtaken and the overtaking manoeuvre must be done in a safe and controlled manner, while enabling the car to clearly remain within the limits of the track.

When considering what is a ‘significant portion’ for an overtaking on the inside of a corner, among the various factors that will be looked at by the stewards when exercising their discretion, the stewards will consider if the overtaking car’s front tyres are alongside the other car by no later than the apex of the corner.

Edax
Edax

Poleman wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:06
I don't see the reason why people are surprised about Verstappen.As AMG.Tzan said,he only races Hamilton like that.His beef is with Hamilton and noone else,it has been proven time and time again.Screwing his own race,Hamilton's race and his teammate at the end in a race where points mattered ZERO for him.Noone can deny that he is a great driver but the whole notion that he has matured this year is based largely that he had a car buffer to lean on and he took advantage of it perfectly.If Mercedes was up there since the begining and Hamilton was his competitor,i would bet money that we would have a repeat of 2021.Congrats to Russell for his maiden win,even if people said that he was kind of lucky of the contact between VER and HAM he really drove a solid race ,well deserved.
That is a great narrative for the tabloids. But to be fair. Hamilton also had his fair share of contacts this year. Ask for instance alonso (Spa,Miami) or magnussen (Canada, Spain).

Interestingly the crash between Verstappen and Ocon in 2018 is a carbon copy of this one except that Verstappen was driving in Hamiltons position. Apparently he would have done exactly the same as Hamilton so he should have seen it coming.

The problem is that neither Hamilton or Verstappen back off when they see a line which they feel entitled to take. When you have a driver like Leclerc around them, they make space even though they perhaps shouldn’t. But when you have the two together contact is more or less a given.
Last edited by Edax on 13 Nov 2022, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

wogx wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:36
https://i.redd.it/j1ubtr3rmrz91.jpg

Going too fast and at the wrong angle into a corner to get alongside and bouncing off the car on your outside to get your nose around is an arcade video game racing move.