2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RonMexico
RonMexico

Re: 2022 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 11 - 13

Payback for Monaco seemingly. Dirty thing for Perez to have done if it true

mkay
mkay

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:45
GrizzleBoy wrote:
wogx wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:36
https://i.redd.it/j1ubtr3rmrz91.jpg

VER was alongside, HAM left no space.
Going too fast and at the wrong angle into a corner to get alongside and bouncing off the car on your outside to get your nose around is an arcade video game racing move.
So like Silverstone then?
Except that the rules of engagement have changed - which resulted in a 5-sec penalty for VER today.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mkay wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:08
AR3-GP wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Going too fast and at the wrong angle into a corner to get alongside and bouncing off the car on your outside to get your nose around is an arcade video game racing move.
So like Silverstone then?
Except that the rules of engagement have changed - which resulted in a 5-sec penalty for VER today.
But Hamilton was also penalized last year was he not? I may not agree with the decision, but the stewards were consistent at least between this year and last year so I cannot complain.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 14 Nov 2022, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Tvetovnato wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:03
Max: “To be honest, I went around the outside, and I immediately felt he was not going to leave space. I just went for it, he didn’t leave me space, so I knew we were going to get together.”

This alone should send him to the back of the grid for the next race. He is literally open with ruining another drivers race for the sake of it. What. A. Child.
It's entitlement personified.

"Let go where I want or I'm going to just drive into you".

He could see it was going to go wrong and kept his foot in anyway, by his own admission.

Coupled with the Perez disrespect he comes off extremely badly today.

Just imagine if Lewis ever gave an interview where he admitted he saw the contact coming and just "let it happen" because he felt like the other car shoulve been elsewhere on the track.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 14 Nov 2022, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Gooch
Gooch

Tvetovnato wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:03
Max: “To be honest, I went around the outside, and I immediately felt he was not going to leave space. I just went for it, he didn’t leave me space, so I knew we were going to get together.”

This alone should send him to the back of the grid for the next race. He is literally open with ruining another drivers race for the sake of it. What. A. Child.
I find it funny that right after this he suggested it was still a 'net win' for him because Hamilton lost the race and he only got a 5 second penalty. He did see Merc was still 1-2 on the podium, no? Even if they both wrecked it was a net win for Mercedes because it would allow Russell to cruise to victory.

The fact that he still went for it when he knew the gap was gonna close tells you this was purely a matter of ego for Verstappen.

Edax
Edax

the poster below wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:48
Edax wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:44
Poleman wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 23:06

The problem is that neither Hamilton or Verstappen back off when they see a line which they feel entitled to take. When you have a driver like Leclerc around them, they make space even though they perhaps shouldn’t. But when you have the two together contact is more or less a given.
I hadn't thought of it specifically in these terms - are you saying that if they feel they are racing a "fair" driver that they behave fairly, whereas racing an "unfair" driver it's a free for all? (Genuine question, not trying to put words in your mouth)
No, sorry, should have worded it better. If you have Hamilton or Verstappen alongside you know they are going to stay there, and force the accident upon you. Most of the other drivers know that and yield.

It is not that they adapt their driving to other drivers, it is just that the other drivers adapt their driving to them.

Unfortunately Hamilton and Verstappen havent figured out yet that that strategy does not work on each other.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Edax wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:12
the poster below wrote:
Edax wrote:

The problem is that neither Hamilton or Verstappen back off when they see a line which they feel entitled to take. When you have a driver like Leclerc around them, they make space even though they perhaps shouldn’t. But when you have the two together contact is more or less a given.
I hadn't thought of it specifically in these terms - are you saying that if they feel they are racing a "fair" driver that they behave fairly, whereas racing an "unfair" driver it's a free for all? (Genuine question, not trying to put words in your mouth)
No, sorry, should have worded it better. If you have Hamilton or Verstappen alongside you know they are going to stay there, and force the accident upon you. Most of the other drivers know that and yield.

It is not that they adapt their driving to other drivers, it is just that the other drivers adapt their driving to them.

Unfortunately Hamilton and Verstappen havent figured out yet that that strategy does not work on each other.
This is well said I think.

RonMexico
RonMexico

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:14
Edax wrote:
the poster below wrote:

This is well said I think.
Definitely. The two are close to mirror images of each other when in the cockpit.

What was the narrative around Hamilton back in the McLaren days again?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

But Hamilton was widely criticised last year for actually yielding all the time to Max to avoid contact in 2021?

Many of the first races were basically just Lewis getting driven off track in the first lap or driving off track himself to avoid contact.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

GrizzleBoy wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:22
But Hamilton was widely criticised last year for actually yielding all the time to Max to avoid contact in 2021?
Criticized by his own fans? I'm sure fans of other drivers were happy for him to continue to yield :wink:

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Edax wrote:
the poster below wrote:
Edax wrote:

Don’t drag Hamilton into the filth that Verstappen is doing. Hamilton backed out of multiple occasions last year to save his race and let Verstappen off the hook. When he doesn’t yield, it ends in a crash where Verstappen is penalized by the stewards more often than not. Hamilton has always been considered to be one of the greats in wheel to wheel action by multiple drivers and has usually no problems with anyone, bar a few racing incidents as all drivers have from time to time.

Verstappen is unable to keep it clean, not because of bad car control, but because of bad attitude and not caring if he ruins other drivers races, just because he feels like it. He even admitted that after this race. He is a petulant child who was not raised properly, which is quite evident today, not only because of his comments on the Hamilton take-out attempt, but also with his behaviour towards Perez.

chrisc90

Tvetovnato wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:25

Don’t drag Hamilton into the filth that Verstappen is doing. Hamilton backed out of multiple occasions last year to save his race and let Verstappen off the hook. When he doesn’t yield, it ends in a crash where Verstappen is penalized by the stewards more often than not. Hamilton has always been considered to be one of the greats in wheel to wheel action by multiple drivers and has usually no problems with anyone, bar a few racing incidents as all drivers have from time to time.

Verstappen is unable to keep it clean, not because of bad car control, but because of bad attitude and not caring if he ruins other drivers races, just because he feels like it. He even admitted that after this race. He is a petulant child who was not raised properly, which is quite evident today, not only because of his comments on the Hamilton take-out attempt, but also with his behaviour towards Perez.
Talk to me about 1st lap incidents from Hamilton this year where he was involved...Then lets discuss wheel to wheel racing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Tvetovnato wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:25
Edax wrote:
the poster below wrote:

You say he has a history of ruining other drivers' races, but how come there is no record of this beyond interactions with Hamilton? How come he didn't have trouble with Russell, Leclerc, or Sainz all year in so many wheel to wheel battles with them and we were treated to spectacular battles this season with verstappen against the other three in places like Bahrain, Spain, Austria, USA, Imola and the sprint yesterday?

chrisc90

Because its a poor narrative thats stuck in peoples heads. Alonso is correct with his Spa comments.

DGP123
DGP123

chrisc90 wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 00:31
Because its a poor narrative thats stuck in peoples heads. Alonso is correct with his Spa comments.
Alonso talks nonsense. He’s an irrelevance in F1 nowadays, with an embarrassing resentment of Lewis, and is stuck up Max’s ***. Not really worth listening too or paying attention too.