How useless is sky sports f1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
johnny comelately

Re: How useless is sky sports f1

Chuckjr wrote:
12 Nov 2022, 18:49
Crofty needs to stop saying someones is going to pull the “ol’ swicharoo”. It’s really frickin’ old. #-o
Crofty needs to stop saying.

dans79

johnny comelately wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 00:42
Chuckjr wrote:
Crofty needs to stop saying someones is going to pull the “ol’ swicharoo”. It’s really frickin’ old. #-o
Crofty needs to stop saying.
I'd pay to have him replaced!
197 104 103 7

GSBellew

Chuckjr wrote:
Also "here comes Danny Ric, the last of the late brakers"

PlatinumZealot

Crofty is a treasure. Let him be!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mendis

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 03:11
You are right, he is a museum piece. No idea why he is outside. :D

GSBellew

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Nov 2022, 03:11
He needs a few new phrases though.....

DGP123

Tbh, Brundle needs some too. The old treat it like the hind legs of a donkey was out again yesterday. Fully expect, we need a safety car for that to come out the bag tonight,

Airshifter

As much as I'm not a fan at all of Will Buxton, the combo of him and Palmer was certainly better than listening to Croft trying to make something out of nothing a lot of the time. Brundle isn't nearly as bad, he just missed some of the race it seems.

Jejking

Airshifter wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 04:01
As much as I'm not a fan at all of Will Buxton, the combo of him and Palmer was certainly better than listening to Croft trying to make something out of nothing a lot of the time. Brundle isn't nearly as bad, he just missed some of the race it seems.
Will "it's not beyond of the realms of possibilities" Buxton?

maxxer

Jejking wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 15:57
Airshifter wrote:
Having 100kg of fuel on board is like having an extra passenger btw Brundle reminds me of that every race start still as if i might forget

MadMax

maxxer wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 15:59
Jejking wrote:
Airshifter wrote:
Having 100kg of fuel on board is like having an extra passenger btw Brundle reminds me of that every race start still as if i might forget
Brundle has been a long time out of an F1 cockpit and never won a single seater series - his second in the 83 British F3 was only so close to Senna because the latter had several DNFs after having won the first 9 races on the bounce; Brundle does like to mention that he came close to Senna, of course. He did pedal the Jaguar sportscar well, however. Top job there. He's obviously got a lot of experience but it's basically out of date now.

Probably time for him to retire from commentary but he would need to be replaced by a relatively newly-retired racing driver - problem is that most of the ones that would be worth having don't need the gig, other than for a bit of fun now and then.

Jejking

MadMax wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 23:26
maxxer wrote:
14 Nov 2022, 15:59
Jejking wrote:

Brundle has been a long time out of an F1 cockpit and never won a single seater series - his second in the 83 British F3 was only so close to Senna because the latter had several DNFs after having won the first 9 races on the bounce; Brundle does like to mention that he came close to Senna, of course. He did pedal the Jaguar sportscar well, however. Top job there. He's obviously got a lot of experience but it's basically out of date now.

Probably time for him to retire from commentary but he would need to be replaced by a relatively newly-retired racing driver - problem is that most of the ones that would be worth having don't need the gig, other than for a bit of fun now and then.
I fully believe Brundle still has a lot to offer, although at times he is starting to sound a bit slow and stale. Don't forget, this man still drove around in a 2015 Mercedes. Having said that, I would like more energy at times, but the quality is hard to match. Button is very recent but usually sounds like he is daydreaming about driving himself while commentating. Severe case of rose-tinted glasses there.

Big Tea

I know it was a long time ago but it is hard to get a wider experience base than Brundle.
1983 Formula Three Championship, finishined close second to Senna ( a series with Sena and Belloff )

1988 World Sportscar Champion and 24 Hour Daytona winner, 1990 24 Hours of Le Mans win, drove in Australia and USA, with Walkinshaw and Jaguar

Grands Prix, 158 as a driver - 9 podiums and team mate to Schumacher

Also a Driver manager with drivers like Coulthard for a while. A time since he drove F1 but he has done the rounds more than anyone I can think of.

Seems to have good relations with most drivers and all teams too

Edit, think his las Le mans was 2012, but he has teamed with Zak Brown :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DGP123

Brundle’s commentary is stale, and now becoming repetitive. The same old lines, the hind legs of a donkey one, the 100kg weight of a passenger, and when he’s nodding off during the latter stages, just randomly sees someone struggling, and calls for a full SC. The only reason Brundle is still appealing to the casuals, is for the grid walk. If you break down the walk, it’s a load of nonsense. Speaks to midfield runners who offer little, and then just grabs the annoying dim celeb for an awkward interview and that’s it. Somehow it’s gained a cult following.

MadMax

I never watch the grid walk. Entirely pointless and brings nothing to the race itself - the drivers and teams obviously give nothing away and the vacuous "celebrities" obviously are only there to be seen. Very few of the celebs know anything about motor racing in general or F1 in particular.

Most of the pre-race "show" is likewise pointless as it's either "features" or talking heads rehashing the same old same old. I just tend to turn on to the race a minute or so before the start time, watch the formation lap and then the race. Turn off after the podium, usually, sometimes immediately after the flag. The rest is all just pointless noise intended to fill time and create noise for the temporary "fans".