Best circuit in F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mrluke

Re: Best circuit in F1.

For me Brazil nearly always produces a good race. A lot of the others are great tracks but don't give great f1 races.

harty71

mrluke wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 22:36
For me Brazil nearly always produces a good race. A lot of the others are great tracks but don't give great f1 races.
That should always be the main priority IMO.

For nostalgic terms I could accept one circuit poor for racing and that's Monaco, there's no excuse for the others.

johnny comelately

Stu wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 22:32
Of the current tracks, it would have to be Suzuka, as for the ‘new’ Silverstone - I’m not a fan, but the original layout is another thing, as is the original hockenheim. I hate it when they toss about with real classic tracks, but continue to call them as such.
There is a new movement "Ban all short radius chicanes" as they are an afront to logic and stop the world from progressing :wink:

MadMax

Stu wrote:
Of the current tracks, it would have to be Suzuka, as for the ‘new’ Silverstone - I’m not a fan, but the original layout is another thing, as is the original hockenheim. I hate it when they toss about with real classic tracks, but continue to call them as such.
"New" Silverstone came about because of the bikes and Bernie being a twat to the BRDC over hosting rights. I think the new layout is ok as it gives us back a fast corner at Abbey after years of the chicane.

I'm surprised you like the original layout, however...

:lol:

I remember going to Silverstone in 1996 and one could still see the original Becketts inside kerb behind the seating at the then new Becketts layout. I'd guess it's long gone by now, however.

I miss Bridge Corner. That was a proper corner.

harty71

I actually like the new section, it offers great racing and overtaking opportunities.

Rodak

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 18:06
Big Tea wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 17:38
harty71 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 17:19
For me it has to be Silverstone, it's not only an epic track to drive, it also offers some of the best racing you can find.

Many say Spa but it just doesn't have the great races like Silverstone does, I mean what circuit offers overtaking opportunities in just about every corner, number one by a mile in my opinion.
Spa is a shadow of its former self now.
Only because the cars are so easy to drive now. Everything is just a no lift "kink" now.
Yep. I remember watching Villeneuve trying to take Eau Rouge flat back in the day when it really wasn't possible (or just barely); a brave driver indeed. Great stuff and sorely missed with today's flat everywhere corners. Best F1 circuit never raced, IMHO, is Road America.

Stu

MadMax wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 00:18
Stu wrote:
"New" Silverstone came about because of the bikes and Bernie being a twat to the BRDC over hosting rights. I think the new layout is ok as it gives us back a fast corner at Abbey after years of the chicane.

I'm surprised you like the original layout, however...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ne1948.png

:lol:
I knew that someone would come back with that one… 😂
[quote/]
I remember going to Silverstone in 1996 and one could still see the original Becketts inside kerb behind the seating at the then new Becketts layout. I'd guess it's long gone by now, however.

I miss Bridge Corner. That was a proper corner.
[/quote]

There have been various different layouts, there is the original layout (only used once for GP cars - and at no other event AFAIK), then the ‘original’ permanent circuit (the perimeter circuit) - done, I believe, to keep the runways usable during the Cold War. For a brief time Woodcote became a chicane (I can remember cheering for Watty coming through there to win!), before reverting back. The turbo cars of the eighties were awesome around that layout (into the nineties the track had the fastest average qualifying speed record- quicker than Monza!). Then it had what everyone thought was a big update, with several ‘complexes’ being added to slow the track and give more car visibility to people in the grandstands (and more grandstands, to boot! £££ for the BRDC); the ‘old’ layout was retained for a while to suit classics & vintage racing (this gave us the Bridge into Luffield into Woodcote complex & the Vale complex as well as Maggots (RIP Abbey…).
The new layout, imo, is a step too far from the classic layout, which was at least geographically identifiable before.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

MadMax

Stu wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 09:27
Then it had what everyone thought was a big update, with several ‘complexes’ being added to slow the track and give more car visibility to people in the grandstands (and more grandstands, to boot! £££ for the BRDC); the ‘old’ layout was retained for a while to suit classics & vintage racing (this gave us the Bridge into Luffield into Woodcote complex & the Vale complex as well as Maggots (RIP Abbey…).
The new layout, imo, is a step too far from the classic layout, which was at least geographically identifiable before.
I think much of the reason for adding slower sections was also because on the older very fast layout, overtaking was al but impossible - the corners were all very fast and there was nowhere that allowed a driver to use out-braking to get a chance. The Woodcote chicane in the late 70s- early 80s was the only part of the track that wasn't 100mph-plus. Before that chicane, all of the corners were long and fast - imagine a modern car around this layout, the drivers would be knackered in 20 laps as it would be brutally fast:

The new layout does lose the distinctive, classic Silverstone silhouette which is a shame, but I think it's not done the racing any harm at all.

Gooch

Stu wrote:
The turbo cars of the eighties were awesome around that layout (into the nineties the track had the fastest average qualifying speed record- quicker than Monza!). Then it had what everyone thought was a big update, with several ‘complexes’ being added to slow the track and give more car visibility to people in the grandstands (and more grandstands, to boot! £££ for the BRDC); the ‘old’ layout was retained for a while to suit classics & vintage racing (this gave us the Bridge into Luffield into Woodcote complex & the Vale complex as well as Maggots (RIP Abbey…).
As someone who started watching in the 00's it's genuinely mind boggling to think that the 1990 layout was basically 1 chicane away from what they used in 1950. When I think of someone like Senna winning at Silverstone I imagine it's something much closer to the 00's layout.

Stu

Gooch wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:01
Stu wrote:
The turbo cars of the eighties were awesome around that layout (into the nineties the track had the fastest average qualifying speed record- quicker than Monza!). Then it had what everyone thought was a big update, with several ‘complexes’ being added to slow the track and give more car visibility to people in the grandstands (and more grandstands, to boot! £££ for the BRDC); the ‘old’ layout was retained for a while to suit classics & vintage racing (this gave us the Bridge into Luffield into Woodcote complex & the Vale complex as well as Maggots (RIP Abbey…).
As someone who started watching in the 00's it's genuinely mind boggling to think that the 1990 layout was basically 1 chicane away from what they used in 1950. When I think of someone like Senna winning at Silverstone I imagine it's something much closer to the 00's layout.

https://www.racingcircuits.info/assets/ ... e87-90.png
It was a track for the truly brave! Qualifying was something to behold 😁
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

harty71

Stu wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 19:44
Gooch wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 17:01
Stu wrote:

https://www.racingcircuits.info/assets/ ... e87-90.png
It was a track for the truly brave! Qualifying was something to behold 😁
It would be much too easy for modern cars though surely?

dans79

All layouts courtesy of wikipedia, click for the high rez version.
197 104 103 7

CMSMJ1

I've ridden Silverstone pre latest update. So Abbey was flat, bridge was amazing and copse was so very wide that I couldn't place the bike at all.

12m to 15m wide in places and just too big a place.

I think Suzuka and Spa for me.

Now... if we could get F1 round Cadwell Park... :)

(That was one of the main tracks used in the Lauda/Hunt film whose name escapes me)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Stu

Motorbike or push-bike?
Always fancied a ride around cadwell, brands hatch was fun & I did okay on a couple of TT’s around Rockingham.

harty71

Stu wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 00:14
Motorbike or push-bike?
Always fancied a ride around cadwell, brands hatch was fun & I did okay on a couple of TT’s around Rockingham.
I went around Cadwell on the mountain bike, two decent hill climbs, a quality track for the BSB's