F1 Evaluating ‘Wheel Arches’

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
FW17

F1 Evaluating ‘Wheel Arches’

Formula 1 is mulling the introduction of “wheel arches” that can be fitted to the car for wet conditions with the objective of reducing the amount of spray, for potentially as early as 2024.

Following complaints from drivers, the FIA launched a study to find ways to tackle the problem of excess spray, which has led to the suggestion that what is called a “standard bodywork kit” be created.

This would mean wheel arches that can be fit before running in “extreme wet conditions” and during red flag periods, to contain the spray.
So F1 looking for something like this ?

or something more simple

johnny comelately

Re: F1 EVALUATING ‘WHEEL ARCHES’

Top picture looks good, worth considering
Bottom picture did me no good at all :wink:

harty71

I'd take anything over the --- show we have today, where they're not allowed to race in wet conditions.

Whilst they're at it they should install a double yellow/red flag limiter, a quick press of a button and hey presto, no speeding in times of high risk.

Big Tea

Do they need to be so complicated?
They are not going to stop the water lifting, its what the tyres do. they need to condense or redirect the spray rather than create a ready made tank of aquaplane juice around the wheel?

At one time they started fitting 'spikey mats' to truck tyres, but it seems to have disappeared now
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

Whatever they come up with would have to be easily installable/removable and would have to fit all cars - that could mean fixed mounting points etc, currently the only fully "standard" parts around the wheels are the wheel covers and the brows, i somehow doubt those limited mounting options could take a full wheel arch but some further deflector could be fitted, what they don't want is those having too much of an impact on the aero, surely.

Here's the full text from the media statement:
Wet weather update
Driver feedback has suggested that there has been reduced visibility in extremely wet conditions with this latest generation of cars, which is a key determinant on starting, or needing to suspend sessions.

Therefore, the FIA commenced a study to define a package of parts aiming to suppress the spray generated when running in wet conditions. The study focused on the following:
  • Definition of a standard bodywork kit, aiming to suppress the tyre spray from running in wet conditions by use of minimal bodywork over the wheels (wheel arches).
  • Understanding the contribution of surface water picked up through the underfloor tunnels to understand its significance.
  • Ensuring that the design does not unduly hinder pitstop tyre changes.
  • Seeking additional benefits such as additional lights to improve car visibility.
  • Devices only to be fitted either before a race or during a red flag due to extreme wet conditions
Preliminary work and an initial concept were presented to the Commission, and the FIA will continue to work to refine the proposals, with further updates anticipated in 2023.
They could come to the conclusion that a large part of the spray comes from the aero and then i wonder whether there's anything they could do about it.

FW17

RZS10 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 13:01
Whatever they come up with would have to be easily installable/removable and would have to fit all cars - that could mean fixed mounting points etc, currently the only fully "standard" parts around the wheels are the wheel covers and the brows, i somehow doubt those limited mounting options could take a full wheel arch but some further deflector could be fitted, what they don't want is those having too much of an impact on the aero, surely.
They could make the wheel arch as part of the wheel cover that does not spin, like the ones they had in 2008

Big Tea

Possibly they could have an 'eyebrow' style fitting on all wheels and make it a structural part that the deflector attached to with a single fitting.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wesley123

Why would they only be for wet weather when they also can have a positive effect in general?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Stu

I hope that they review the effects that similar devices had in both Indycar & Formula E in wet conditions before jumping in with something.

When it boils down to it, the cars have a wake, this now gets pulled upwards. The wheels/tyres are designed to lift the water off of the track surface, spray suppression from the tyres is only going to have a limited positive effect (and potentially have a greater negative effect).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

CMSMJ1

They barely run in the wet anymore!

What was the last properly wet race that was started and ran full term?

I like the idea of a bodywork solution but it'll never remove the stupendous volumes of water lifted by the diffuser and rear wings.

If we had decent levels of in season testing this could be looked at and delivered.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

dans79

CMSMJ1 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 22:02

I like the idea of a bodywork solution but it'll never remove the stupendous volumes of water lifted by the diffuser and rear wings.

If we had decent levels of in season testing this could be looked at and delivered.
I can't think of a wet start to finish race in over a decade.
197 104 103 7

Edax

FW17 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 06:13
Formula 1 is mulling the introduction of “wheel arches” that can be fitted to the car for wet conditions with the objective of reducing the amount of spray, for potentially as early as 2024.

Following complaints from drivers, the FIA launched a study to find ways to tackle the problem of excess spray, which has led to the suggestion that what is called a “standard bodywork kit” be created.

This would mean wheel arches that can be fit before running in “extreme wet conditions” and during red flag periods, to contain the spray.

https://static.designboom.com/wp-conten ... 18x436.jpg

or something more simple

https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_6077 ... 2021-O.jpg
Makes me wonder what a flat tyre will do to these arches.

Hoffman900

Edax wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 00:14
FW17 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 06:13

https://static.designboom.com/wp-conten ... 18x436.jpg

or something more simple

https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_6077 ... 2021-O.jpg
Makes me wonder what a flat tyre will do to these arches.
Same thing as any car with body work.

They’ll never run these cars in any more rain than a LMP / GT car already does.

That said, curious to see what will be the first real use of spec body work.

johnny comelately

CMSMJ1 wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 22:02

Substitute "remove" with control and you can remove "never" voila!

CMSMJ1

Re: F1 Evaluating ‘Wheel Arches’

I'm up for that. Let's try it
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM