2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

ScottR267 wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 10:58
Ground Effect wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 10:47
Just saw an article where Zak Brown addressed Porsche links to McLaren for 2026. I didn't even know there were any links, anything credible reported recently?
Doesn’t the initial Mercedes engine deal run until the end of 2024? I appreciate this could be me putting 2+2=4 however you’d suspect Zak is exploring the Porsche and any other manufacturers before considering an extension with Mercedes engines
Can Mercedes choose not to extend with Mclaren in the future?...

ScottR267

MrGapes wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 11:05
ScottR267 wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 10:58
Ground Effect wrote:
Just saw an article where Zak Brown addressed Porsche links to McLaren for 2026. I didn't even know there were any links, anything credible reported recently?
Doesn’t the initial Mercedes engine deal run until the end of 2024? I appreciate this could be me putting 2+2=4 however you’d suspect Zak is exploring the Porsche and any other manufacturers before considering an extension with Mercedes engines
Can Mercedes choose not to extend with Mclaren in the future?...
Like anything I guess it can be ‘mutual’

torpor

ripleysend wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 00:24
Big Tea wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 16:05
diffuser wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 02:47

It's just that small logo at the back right?
It does exclude others from sharing space though. Some do not want to be seen together.
Very true. In relatively recent times good examples of this were the likes of the professional services firms (e.g. KPMG and Accenture) or the pharmaceuticals (e.g. GSK's brands) being unable to have their logos placed on the car in close physical proxiity with the oil majors (e.g. ExxonMobil) or the say the tobacco brands (e.g. BAT).
True.
I think it's also a bit implausible to put an oil company's logo on a car which is fueled by another supplier.
Since a few years all engines run on fuel and lubricants by the manufacturer's supplier (Mercedes Petronas, Ferrari Shell, Renault BP, Honda Exxon). Fuel and lubricants more and more became an essential and integrated factor of powertrain performance.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
I guess I don't get it. Did you just see the article and not read it ?
The one I saw read said that Brown was happy with Merc, didn't believe you need a works team to win in F1, that the Merc PU they get is the same one that Hamilton gets and aren't really spending too much time thinking about 2026 and beyond..

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/96412 ... zak-brown/

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 16:06
Ground Effect wrote:
I guess I don't get it. Did you just see the article and not read it ?
The one I saw read said that Brown was happy with Merc, didn't believe you need a works team to win in F1, that the Merc PU they get is the same one that Hamilton gets and aren't really spending too much time thinking about 2026 and beyond..

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/96412 ... zak-brown/
The point I'm making is that I was surprised that he was being asked in reference to McLaren aligning with specifically Porsche for 2026, suggesting that there have been rumours or links, of which I haven't heard of anywhere else prior to this article. With the Audi link, that was widely reported, even before McLaren made any official statements. They didn't ask about McLaren returning to Honda or Renault, so the specific nature of it made me wonder if there's been recent chatter on this that I may have missed.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Macklaren

With the goings on at Maranello, McLaren might win a championship before Ferrari! We should not take our recently stable mgmt. for granted even if the driver side has been choppy

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 01:58
With the goings on at Maranello, McLaren might win a championship before Ferrari! We should not take our recently stable mgmt. for granted even if the driver side has been choppy
Couple more years like this year and McLaren will be cleaning house. So I'm not so sure what you're happy about?

Also Alpine, Aston and Audi are all rumoured to be courting Binotto. That will not directly impact McLaren in the standings next year but could in 2024 and beyond.

_cerber1

AR3-GP

At this point, they will already know Piastri's level relative to daniel.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 20:34
It's winter testing weather in Barcelona and they didn't preseason test in Barcelona with that car. I seem to remember the tests being in Bahrain in 2021.

the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 20:46
AR3-GP wrote:
It's winter testing weather in Barcelona and they didn't preseason test in Barcelona with that car. I seem to remember the tests being in Bahrain in 2021.
They did race there though

At this point I would have thought they were concentrating on setup feedback, working with his team & general GP weekend rehearsal

Pace is pretty irrelevant, given that he’s in an old car concept with different wheels/tyres

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
If Oscar can drive a Mclaren with a poor front end as fast as Lando, I’ll be very happy.

Mclaren still need to fix their car design philosophy tho!

Norris reckons the team’s chances of securing best of the rest were hurt by a car that doesn’t have enough front end grip.

“It’s just our car,” he told Sky Sports, “the characteristics of the car. The things we struggled with, the car doesn’t have enough front. For me all I need is front. I don’t need rear tyres.

“But when I have front we can be quick.
“As soon as we destroy the front tyres, we were seconds off, of half a second, or one second off. So it’s just the characteristic that the car relies on too much.

But we know all of this. We’ve known it, it’s just been something we’ve had for years sadly and it’s our job to get rid of that for next season.
https://apple.news/AYP5PEFjOQB-kqQ5k5rVsuw
"In downforce we trust"

AR3-GP

djos wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 23:00

So does every other backmarker-esque midfield team :lol: . It's not an excuse to be so far behind a teammate though. I would hope Piastri can be close to Norris. F1s new talent pool is looking a bit barren outside of the likes of norris, ver, lec, russ.

djos

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 23:13
djos wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 23:00

So does every other backmarker-esque midfield team :lol: . It's not an excuse to be so far behind a teammate though. I would hope Piastri can be close to Norris. F1s new talent pool is looking a bit barren outside of the likes of norris, ver, lec, russ.
According to Carlos who has driven AT's, Renault's and McLaren's, the McLaren's are unique in their handling traits. So stop making excuses - even Lando seems to be sick of them not resolving this long-standing issue!
"In downforce we trust"

billamend

djos wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 00:04
According to Carlos who has driven AT's, Renault's and McLaren's, the McLaren's are unique in their handling traits. So stop making excuses - even Lando seems to be sick of them not resolving this long-standing issue!
And yet, Alonso, Carlos, and Lando were able to around those quirks 🤔 I guess they either worked harder, are better drivers, or just more adaptable