Oracle Red Bull Racing RB19 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Oracle Red Bull Racing RB19 Speculation Thread

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 20:57
avantman wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 09:32
Look at the rear wing! (clickable)
https://ibb.co/sWdTpWb

Are they aiming at lowering drag and maximizing the DRS delta?
This is an interesting observation. That rear wing looks very strange, but there is another photo upthread which shows a normal looking wing.
It's just an artifact from the video/motion blur I think. I've taken numerous screenshots from the video and the only time the wing looks strange is when it's looked at straight-on.

I can reproduce the strange looking wing

But wait a second later into the video and you can see it looks completely normal:

Cs98
Cs98

LM10 wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 16:49
AR3-GP wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 05:28
Are Red Bull the first team to actually manage to carry out a pre-season in secret? These 144p photos leave something to be desired....
Considering that as soon as testing starts next week, we'll see high resolution images from the whole car, this hide and seek game coupled with their so called launch is ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous at all. When you have 6 other teams following in the footsteps of your concept you need to keep your cards close to your chest. Merc could have revealed their car a month ago and it wouldn't have made a difference because no one is going to copy it. Similar for Ferrari. For RB every day matters.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 21:50
AR3-GP wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 20:57
avantman wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 09:32
Look at the rear wing! (clickable)
https://ibb.co/sWdTpWb

Are they aiming at lowering drag and maximizing the DRS delta?
This is an interesting observation. That rear wing looks very strange, but there is another photo upthread which shows a normal looking wing.
It's just an artifact from the video/motion blur I think. I've taken numerous screenshots from the video and the only time the wing looks strange is when it's looked at straight-on.

I can reproduce the strange looking wing

https://i.imgur.com/2AYXVki.jpeg

But wait a second later into the video and you can see it looks completely normal:

https://i.imgur.com/MP60BhN.jpeg
Somehow I think both of the pictures are showing the same thing and it's some kind of evolution of this wing:

In a side view, you will see the blend between vertical endplate and the horizontal wing element. In a front view, the blend would look slender.

avantman
avantman

Everyone can watch the original video in the best available quality in slow-mo to decide if it was an artifact or real thing.
search: '"Red Bull RB19 for the first time on track | The best quality video on the internet"

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

avantman wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 21:59
Everyone can watch the original video in the best available quality in slow-mo to decide if it was an artifact or real thing.
search: '"Red Bull RB19 for the first time on track | The best quality video on the internet"

_________
The video supports the conclusion. There is a heavy blend near the end plate. /_________\ profile.

Cs98
Cs98

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 21:59

Somehow I think both of the pictures are showing the same thing and it's some kind of evolution of this wing:

In a side view, you will see the blend between vertical endplate and the horizontal wing element. In a front view, the blend would look slender.
That's the medium downforce wing. The wing in the shakedown has a much smaller main plain. It's either the low downforce wing from last season or a new edition of low-medium downforce.

avantman
avantman

yes, I do agree, it looks so, indeed. Ferrari run similar wing on their SF-23 as well now. If I am correct, Alfa Romeo had the most extreme version of that design last year.

organic

To me it just looks very similar to their low downforce wing from last year which worked very well. They'll run their low downforce wing for Saudi Arabia so it makes sense to have it ready for the start of the season

RB18 low df wing:

avantman
avantman

or more like this?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 22:21
To me it just looks very similar to their low downforce wing from last year which worked very well. They'll run their low downforce wing for Saudi Arabia so it makes sense to have it ready for the start of the season

RB18 low df wing:

https://i.imgur.com/GnXXRGo.png
Yes i agree that it's a low downforce wing. However based on this video there is definetely a heavy blend/fillet between the endplate and the wing elements:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

avantman wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 22:28
or more like this?
https://ibb.co/h7pdrVB
Yes! This is what I see.

avantman
avantman

AR3-GP wrote:
avantman wrote:
or more like this?
Yes! This is what I see.
This is what I actually thought initially as well. I just forgot that Alfa already had such a wing last year.
But this wing on RB19 is clearly not a low DF wing, not like Monza spec one on Alfa, which is interesting.
Last edited by avantman on 17 Feb 2023, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

organic

That is interesting for sure. I didn't see that's what you guys were looking at

I agree that's what that rear wing seems to have.

Especially on this angle

We might not see this rear wing run at Bahrain - could be something we have to wait for Saudi for

Absolutely maximizing the drs delta for sure

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

avantman wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 22:31
AR3-GP wrote:
avantman wrote:
or more like this?
Yes! This is what I see.
This is what I actually thought initially as well. I just forgot that Alfa already had such a wing last year.
But this wing on RB19 is clearly not a low DF wing, not like Monza spec one on Alfa, which is interesting.
Yes you wouldn’t have a ultra low downforce or Monza spec on a cold day in Silverstone.

My thinking is that the small wing indicates significant gains on the floor downforce.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 22:51
avantman wrote:
17 Feb 2023, 22:31
AR3-GP wrote:

Yes! This is what I see.
Yes you wouldn’t have a ultra low downforce or Monza spec on a cold day in Silverstone.

My thinking is that the small wing indicates significant gains on the floor downforce.
You think they will use this small wing in Bahrain?