2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

zoroastar wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 07:56
https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10283 ... in-podium/

and it starts. Marko complaining that the Aston is possibly breaking the rules by copying redbull.. farther down he says that with a clean start, Alonso would have been a threat to the redbulls. which is good to hear. this dude is like eccelstone light. always has to be throwing grenades
There has been no indication anywhere that there is a legality issue with the AMR23.

Until that changes, there isn't much to discuss.

mendis
mendis

zoroastar wrote:

and it starts. Marko complaining that the Aston is possibly breaking the rules by copying redbull.. farther down he says that witht a clean start, Alonso would have been a threat to the redbulls. which is good to hear. this dude is like eccelstone light. always has to be throwing grenades
Where does it quote Marko saying, AM is breaking rules? He is simply unhappy with Fallows taking ideas and AM being a copy of RB. That's about it. Don't write what's not there.

zoroastar
zoroastar

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko has hinted at Aston Marton copying the team's philosophy after stunning F1 with a podium at the Bahrain Grand Prix.
The AMR23 has taken a design route which follows Red Bull's distinctive and aggressive downwash-focused aerodynamic philosophy, a point perhaps foreseeable given former aero chief at the Milton Keynes-based outfit is now Aston Martin technical director.
But Marko has apparently doubted how much the design conforms with F1's regulations around directly copying from a fellow competitor - with Aston Martin already having a history of such a breach when competing as Racing Point in 2020.

"It's true, what Fallows had in his head cannot be erased,"

"Copying the focus is not prohibited, but can you copy in such detail without having documentation of our car?

"We had three Red Bulls on the podium, only the last one with a different engine."

i thought it was fairly obvious haha. if Aston poses any threat to redbull this year, i guarantee that they are going to be raising more questions. im not making stuff up here guy, maybe you should try reading into what the guy is saying a little harder.
mendis wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 08:25
zoroastar wrote:

and it starts. Marko complaining that the Aston is possibly breaking the rules by copying redbull.. farther down he says that witht a clean start, Alonso would have been a threat to the redbulls. which is good to hear. this dude is like eccelstone light. always has to be throwing grenades
Where does it quote Marko saying, AM is breaking rules? He is simply unhappy with Fallows taking ideas and AM being a copy of RB. That's about it. Don't write what's not there.
Last edited by zoroastar on 07 Mar 2023, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

continuum16

All this copying malarkey is complete BS. This is probably the most original car (except A-spec AMR22) the team has produced since 2019, and now suddenly it’s “copying.” The questions of the AMR22B being a Red Bull knock off are understandable IMO, but this year’s car is far more different.

They haven’t “copied in such detail” as poor old Marko suggests. Is it conceptually similar in areas? Yes. But most of it is quite different, at least in terms of external visible aero. It doesn’t even the same suspension layout (half of which comes from Merc anyway) as Red Bull. Maybe we can chalk this up to Marko’s failing eyesight.

It’s funny; when AM does well they’re copying RB, when Haas did well they were copying Ferrari. Same old same old.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

zoroastar
zoroastar

continuum16 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 08:35
All this copying malarkey is complete BS. This is probably the most original car (except A-spec AMR22) the team has produced since 2019, and now suddenly it’s “copying.” The questions of the AMR22B being a Red Bull knock off are understandable IMO, but this year’s car is far more different.

They haven’t “copied in such detail” as poor old Marko suggests. Is it conceptually similar in areas? Yes. But most of it is quite different, at least in terms of external visible aero. It doesn’t even the same suspension layout (half of which comes from Merc anyway) as Red Bull. Maybe we can chalk this up to Marko’s failing eyesight.

It’s funny; when AM does well they’re copying RB, when Haas did well they were copying Ferrari. Same old same old.
i agree. but wait until the f1 media needs a new headline in about 15 races. i dont think anything would ever come of it, its just sad.

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:

and it starts. Marko complaining that the Aston is possibly breaking the rules by copying redbull.. farther down he says that with a clean start, Alonso would have been a threat to the redbulls. which is good to hear. this dude is like eccelstone light. always has to be throwing grenades
Or maybe RBR is cheating cause ideas they are using came from people that nolonger work for them!

mendis
mendis

diffuser wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 08:57
zoroastar wrote:

Or maybe RBR is cheating cause ideas they are using came from people that nolonger work for them!
Nah. They stole those ideas from Caterham, years ago!!!

Alo_Fan

KimiRai wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 22:54
Fernando was not at full with the car yet and you could see it in those snap oversteer moments he had. Cars should be more oversteery this year due to the tyre change and also less weight. But they can also improve certain areas of the car plus the power steering of Fernando's wheel. Fernando the experienced driver that he is already told us he needs some races to get full with it, but his performance in Bahrain maybe has made people forget that.

I expect Fernando will have a bit less impressive showing in Jeddah. In fact I'd say there's a 40% chance Stroll qualifies ahead (don't ask me why those odds). Australia should be good again though.

I also expect the second part of the season to be even stronger in Fernando's driving.
Agreed, I think it will take Fernando a few races to truly get up to speed, just like at Alpine or McLaren.

zoroastar
zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 08:57
zoroastar wrote:

haha, good point.

peewon

So Ive found Alonso's over the top praise for Lance a bit strange and also how everyone walks on egg shells around his mistakes. So started looking around and I found out that Lawrence Stroll allegedly blocked Lando and Russell from getting Prema seats in F2 because he didn't want Lance to be outshone by other drivers of similar age like Leclerc did. Russell went as far as to openly accuse Prema of manufacturing a title for Lance via team orders. And many teams left F3 that year because Prema was getting specialized parts made by Williams making them virtually untouchable.

https://www.racefans.net/2016/11/03/wil ... s-opinion/

Then came Lawrence's interview on Sky post race, which seems innocuous enough, but his answer to a question about Alonso struck me as a bit strange. Maybe its my inner poker player, but Stroll instead of being directly complimentary of Alonso, pivoted to talking about their relationship and how Fernando believed in his vision, which tells me Stroll wants to win championships but mainly for his son. Its obvious that the Strolls are extremely sensitive about Lance's status as a driver and have no qualms about being petty.

Alonso anyway attracts a alot of limelight and if their success ever got to contention level, Id be nervous for him as to how the Strolls take it. No wonder Nando is taking every opportunity to shine some light at Lance but I wonder how long he can keep it up or Stroll Sr. gets angsty.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Seen little bits of interviews and various discussions that have indicated that there’s some room for good development of the Aston Martin further still - was someone saying the floor edges have room for added complexity once they validated all the data from testing and first couple of races?

Really keen to see if they can keep rising with the tide this year- the baseline car looks very solid!

I’m guessing Saudi is an interesting test of drag v downforce too? Despite the high speeds it is not a low DF set up from what I recall is it?

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

Mansell89 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 11:20
Seen little bits of interviews and various discussions that have indicated that there’s some room for good development of the Aston Martin further still - was someone saying the floor edges have room for added complexity once they validated all the data from testing and first couple of races?

Really keen to see if they can keep rising with the tide this year- the baseline car looks very solid!

I’m guessing Saudi is an interesting test of drag v downforce too? Despite the high speeds it is not a low DF set up from what I recall is it?
It’s low downforce track not as low as monza, if they do well here then it will be a big boost for AMR

Chanman141
Chanman141

peewon wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 11:11
So Ive found Alonso's over the top praise for Lance a bit strange and also how everyone walks on egg shells around his mistakes. So started looking around and I found out that Lawrence Stroll allegedly blocked Lando and Russell from getting Prema seats in F2 because he didn't want Lance to be outshone by other drivers of similar age like Leclerc did. Russell went as far as to openly accuse Prema of manufacturing a title for Lance via team orders. And many teams left F3 that year because Prema was getting specialized parts made by Williams making them virtually untouchable.

https://www.racefans.net/2016/11/03/wil ... s-opinion/

Then came Lawrence's interview on Sky post race, which seems innocuous enough, but his answer to a question about Alonso struck me as a bit strange. Maybe its my inner poker player, but Stroll instead of being directly complimentary of Alonso, pivoted to talking about their relationship and how Fernando believed in his vision, which tells me Stroll wants to win championships but mainly for his son. Its obvious that the Strolls are extremely sensitive about Lance's status as a driver and have no qualms about being petty.

Alonso anyway attracts a alot of limelight and if their success ever got to contention level, Id be nervous for him as to how the Strolls take it. No wonder Nando is taking every opportunity to shine some light at Lance but I wonder how long he can keep it up or Stroll Sr. gets angsty.
Yeah I saw that interview, Lawrence mentioned nothing about Alonso until the interviewer raised it up and pressed it

DGP123
DGP123

Yeah, saw that interview. I’m telling you now, it will end in tears. Alonso will get his five minutes of limelight this year, many podiums and the odd win, but once he realises championships aren’t on the cards, it will soon boil over. I’d even go as far as saying if he’s embarrassing Lance on track, Lawrence will orchestrate something behind the scenes to irk Alonso, and probably get rid of him. All sounds laughable, but it’s what happens when protecting a family member. Lawrence is ruthless, and the fireworks between him and Alonso down the line will be very entertaining.

As for right now, you can tell everyone is on best behaviour. Everything about Alonso towards the Strolls is utter cringe. Every word, or action is so carefully orchestrated right now, just for effect. Someone posted on here, there’s nothing spontaneous about Alonso right now, it’s all forced, or rehearsed. He won’t be able to keep this Stroll love in going for long, and it will eventually blow up. Seen it all before.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

DGP123 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 12:38
Yeah, saw that interview. I’m telling you now, it will end in tears. Alonso will get his five minutes of limelight this year, many podiums and the odd win, but once he realises championships aren’t on the cards, it will soon boil over. I’d even go as far as saying if he’s embarrassing Lance on track, Lawrence will orchestrate something behind the scenes to irk Alonso, and probably get rid of him. All sounds laughable, but it’s what happens when protecting a family member. Lawrence is ruthless, and the fireworks between him and Alonso down the line will be very entertaining.

As for right now, you can tell everyone is on best behaviour. Everything about Alonso towards the Strolls is utter cringe. Every word, or action is so carefully orchestrated right now, just for effect. Someone posted on here, there’s nothing spontaneous about Alonso right now, it’s all forced, or rehearsed. He won’t be able to keep this Stroll love in going for long, and it will eventually blow up. Seen it all before.
Well, why then even hire one of the best drivers of all time? Why not hire someone like Latifi?

Stroll Sr. is a serious businessman. Not a marketing/sales guy like Zach Brown. He knows how to build a successful business. Alonso and Stroll Sr. know each other for a long time and both sides are aware of the risks in this new situation. As long as Alonso is faster then Stroll Jr. I don’t see any problems.

BUT: As soon as Stroll Jr. is close to Alonso on race pace, it’s gonna be very interesting to see the dynamics between Alonso and the Strolls. There is a reason why Pedro de la Rosa is „part“ of the team. He is there to understand the dynamics and the politics in the background and to support Alonso.

Like I said: As long as Alonso is faster on track there will be no problems. But Lance is not that bad and we will see situations where he will be in front of Alonso. And if the time comes where Alonso is slower then Lance on race pace throughout the whole season, it’s time for Fernando to leave F1 anyway.

The risk would be much higher if you would have a driver who has a similar pace like Lance.