2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

At some point when things wont go smoothly on track all pretending will need to stop. Then we'll have a clearer picture.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

organic

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think we are going to see RB’s straight line speed advantage return this weekend.

Ferrari wing looks bigger, and Mercedes look like they have the one from Bahrain, which wasn’t much quicker than RBs higher downforce package.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Of course we will. That top speed advantage of 1km was artificial due to their lower than optimal RW configuration, which translated to high tyre ware. But I'm afraid they can't do much about it regardless. The design is just subpar to RB, in any aspect.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 17:25
I think we are going to see RB’s straight line speed advantage return this weekend.

Ferrari wing looks bigger, and Mercedes look like they have the one from Bahrain, which wasn’t much quicker than RBs higher downforce package.
Not so sure about that tbh, Ferrari had +2-3kmh all the weekend and they have low-downforce front wing too, where they have more drag than RB in any case...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 18:39
AR3-GP wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 17:25

Not so sure about that tbh, Ferrari had +2-3kmh all the weekend and they have low-downforce front wing too, where they have more drag than RB in any case...
RB ran their medium df wing and high df beam wing (same as Hungary/Singapore etc) at bahrain

They're going to low downforce RW and probably a single element beamwing which should be a significant drag reduction..

I'm not making a comment about relative top speeds but I think RB are going to make quite a step forward in top speed at Saudi

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 18:45
RB ran their medium df wing and high df beam wing (same as Hungary/Singapore etc) at bahrain

They're going to low downforce RW and probably a single element beamwing which should be a significant drag reduction..

I'm not making a comment about relative top speeds but I think RB are going to make quite a step forward in top speed at Saudi
I get that, but to be honest, the effect of beam wings is limited (both in downforce and drag), hence their size. They are the last element in a series, coming after the boundary layer over the floor and sidepods took its toll and then the air goes through the rear suspension as well. Lots of losses and beam wings are a lot less useful than front or rear wings with respect to their size. With less energy in the air, you simply can't generate the necessary pressure difference. :)

In any case, RB can definitely lose more drag from smaller beam wings than Ferrari can, since the respective size was different in Bahrain vs what would be needed in Jeddah :)

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 19:31
organic wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 18:45

I get that, but to be honest, the effect of beam wings is limited (both in downforce and drag), hence their size. They are the last element in a series, coming after the boundary layer over the floor and sidepods took its toll and then the air goes through the rear suspension as well. Lots of losses and beam wings are a lot less useful than front or rear wings with respect to their size. With less energy in the air, you simply can't generate the necessary pressure difference. :)

In any case, RB can definitely lose more drag from smaller beam wings than Ferrari can, since the respective size was different in Bahrain vs what would be needed in Jeddah :)
Exactly which is why I would imagine Red Bull have more upward potential in terms of the straightline speed than Ferrari. Everybody is going to have reduced angle of attack on the front wing. Red Bull in addition have clearly gone for a lower downforce/drag rear wing and beam wing, while at the same time Ferrari have a slightly more loaded/drag rear wing than Bahrain.

Ferrari only had some 2-3km/h margin at best last weekend and only managed to hit 325/326 in qualifying. How do you imagine this gap staying the same when ferrari have a bigger rear wing than last weekend, and not only that, but RB have a smaller rear wing than Ferrari this weekend.

Last year here, Perez did 335km/h down the back straight. Averaging ~329km/h at the end of the 2 other relevant straights. In Bahrain, the RB19 was no slower than the RB18 down the straights.

Vanja #66

We are yet to see what both of those teams will use for Jeddah aero package, too many balls in the air right now. And I don't mean Hamilton's CFD eyeballs :mrgreen:

I didn't expect Ferrari so fast in Bahrain, so I think they will be equal to RB in any case, for what it's worth...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Wouter

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 19:57
We are yet to see what both of those teams will use for Jeddah aero package, too many balls in the air right now. And I don't mean Hamilton's CFD eyeballs :mrgreen:

I didn't expect Ferrari so fast in Bahrain, so I think they will be equal to RB in any case, for what it's worth...
Do you know that RBR had to turn down the PU's from both drivers during the race?
The problem is solved and now they can use full power = 🚀 😂.
The Power of Dreams!

kediown

Wouter wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 20:05
Vanja #66 wrote:

Do you know that RBR had to turn down the PU's from both drivers during the race?
Is it confirmed that they solved it?

Vanja #66

Wouter wrote:
Do you know I was one of the few to point it out just after the race? :) We are talking about Q speeds, when all cars actually go 100% flat out

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:

Yes I know the reality is FP1/FP2 is just testing configurations so it is hasty to conclude the aero config from thursday photos. Although one would think that last year's performances would guide them to hit the ground running in terms of the preferred wing level.

Wouter

kediown wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 20:11
Wouter wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Is it confirmed that they solved it?
A RBR insider and @Wazari said both the same thing. "A software patch should solve the issue."
I think we have to wait and see how it is going on track, but they had this before and it was no big deal to solve it.
The Power of Dreams!