2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 20:37
Downshift issues still present in Saudi Arabia judging by Max's feedback in his long run in fp2

Maybe max will take a new gearbox for fp3/quali? Could be damaged from the issues in Bahrain
You have to think they will. If they are worried about the gearbox in race 2, then there is no way you'd risk it for 7-8 GPs. A DNF is more costly than the eventual 10 place grid drop somewhere down the road.

organic

Perez said in his post fp interview they had a mechanical issue that should deliver more consistency/performance and they hope it can be fixed for tomorrow. Interviewer asked him to elaborate he said he couldn't

Max downplayed the shifting and said it is just fine tuning

Wazari

wvkc9nhe wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 09:21
Hello, Wazari-san. I am a fan of Honda's racing team.
Last year, I heard your explanation about Honda's engine leading its competitors by 10.5KW. I felt that this statement perfectly matched Red Bull's advantage on the straight. The number was very convincing. Considering that Red Bull reduced the weight of their car by 10KG based on the 2022 model this year, it was expected that they would extend their lead in Bahrain.
However, some recent news has left me confused.
First, I saw an interview with HRC's Technical Director, Mr. Yasuaki Asaki (https://wpb.shueisha.co.jp/news/car/202 ... =SocialDog), who said that Honda's engine power is on par with its competitors, but the MGU-H and high-efficiency battery can bring a 0.1-second advantage. Is Mr. Asaki trying to maintain Honda's usual low profile?
Also, Dr. Marco of the Red Bull team has recently been speaking frequently, saying that according to the team's information statistics, Ferrari now has the strongest engine in the paddock, while Honda and Mercedes are on par. What do you think about this? Thank you.
The F1 community is very small and a lot us know others at other teams. I don't know anyone at Alpine but I do know individuals (engineers) at Ferrari and Mercedes; individuals who I have known for a long time. There is "gentlemen's agreement" on what is said and not said about work but I feel confident based on data and conversations about what I said at the time.

Asaki-san said all the engines are fairly close in output. He is being vaguely specific or specifically vague on purpose. It's very clever and as an official spokesperson for Honda he should be. One can say the power difference between all ICE's are only about 1%. 1% of 870 HP is almost 9 HP. Is that a small amount or a significant amount?

As far as Dr Marko, I have no comment.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

wvkc9nhe

Wazari wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 23:45
wvkc9nhe wrote:
Last year, I heard your explanation about Honda's engine leading its competitors by 10.5KW. I felt that this statement perfectly matched Red Bull's advantage on the straight. The number was very convincing. Considering that Red Bull reduced the weight of their car by 10KG based on the 2022 model this year, it was expected that they would extend their lead in Bahrain.
First, I saw an interview with HRC's Technical Director, Mr. Yasuaki Asaki (https://wpb.shueisha.co.jp/news/car/202 ... =SocialDog), who said that Honda's engine power is on par with its competitors, but the MGU-H and high-efficiency battery can bring a 0.1-second advantage. Is Mr. Asaki trying to maintain Honda's usual low profile?
Also, Dr. Marco of the Red Bull team has recently been speaking frequently, saying that according to the team's information statistics, Ferrari now has the strongest engine in the paddock, while Honda and Mercedes are on par. What do you think about this? Thank you.
The F1 community is very small and a lot us know others at other teams. I don't know anyone at Alpine but I do know individuals (engineers) at Ferrari and Mercedes; individuals who I have known for a long time. There is "gentlemen's agreement" on what is said and not said about work but I feel confident based on data and conversations about what I said at the time.

Asaki-san said all the engines are fairly close in output. He is being vaguely specific or specifically vague on purpose. It's very clever and as an official spokesperson for Honda he should be. One can say the power difference between all ICE's are only about 1%. 1% of 870 HP is almost 9 HP. Is that a small amount or a significant amount?

Thank you, Wazari-san. I feel enlightened.
I have one more question: in the new season, all engine suppliers, including Honda, have increased engine power through reliability upgrades. So, has Honda's advantage over its competitors expanded or reduced?

HondaPUgoVROOM

wvkc9nhe wrote:
[quote=Wazari post_id=<a href="tel:1122984">1122984</a> time=<a href="tel:1678899660">1678899660</a> user_id=32928]
[quote=organic post_id=<a href="tel:1122967">1122967</a> time=<a href="tel:1678893459">1678893459</a> user_id=44197]

Legend 🫡
Thank you very much as always Wazari-san!

It's important to know when the engine was turned down... If it was before qualifying then the deficit of the others is frighteningly large. If it was halfway through the race then that makes sense as we knew they seemed to turn down the engine massively as the race went on

About the developments: that seems to be more information than we normally receive about upgrades ahead of their debut. Given we are hearing about a significant step from the Baku upgrade, I would expect the 2.5 tenth upgrade to come there and the subsequent to come around Silverstone. 5-6 tenths of development may be enough to tie up both championships from where the car is now.
On lap 2-3 of race.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Bill

Wazari wrote:
wvkc9nhe wrote:

last year it generally accepted that ferrari has a small advantage in peak power over a quali lap ,maybe they still retain that small advantage but their pu still break like in first race and their topspeed come from carrying a small rear wing.
Honda said they had a clear advantage in deployment over their competitors and during winter they solved some of their reliability issues on mguk side so i expert further improvements on deployments side.the real test will come from tracks with longer straights like france and not a lot heavy braking points to recharge your batteries ,i know which pu i would like to have i owned a team.redbull are now winning are not in mood to share credits with their pu supplier nothing new there.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

mendis

Bill wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 11:04
redbull are now winning are not in mood to share credits with their pu supplier nothing new there.
What exactly should Red Bull do or say?

Bill

mendis wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 13:43
Bill wrote:
redbull are now winning are not in mood to share credits with their pu supplier nothing new there.
they should acknowledge Honda is giving them competitive advantage rather than making up nonsense about ferrari having the most powerful pu.over a race distance they are still retiring due to engine issues ,still running detuned ,and still changing pu.they are already on their second one.and merc is still underpowered unless u are williams and produce very little downforce.

Hoffman900

Wazari wrote:
wvkc9nhe wrote:

9HP is a small amount when you put it into horsepower (or torque) drag equations. 9hp might be worth 1mph, if not less, at 195mph.

Everyone sees horsepower and never puts it in context of how much power it takes to push one of these cars through the air. The real point of more power to make more downforce, which subsequently comes with drag.

AR3-GP

The best way to understand the usefulness of the PU is to do a calculation of the "Average" power output of the PU over the race distance. I suspect this is where Honda does the damage to the competition, based on what they said last season and the changes they made for this season.

I think the value of the Honda PU is being able to run higher ERS modes for longer than competitors. This gives an incredible advantage over a race distance as you have more energy to deploy in the race than the competition.

Juzh

mendis wrote:
Bill wrote:
<mod edit>, dont encourage him
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 20 Mar 2023, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Let;s not be using troll eh?

mendis

Bill wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 13:54
mendis wrote:
Bill wrote:
they should acknowledge Honda is giving them competitive advantage rather than making up nonsense about ferrari having the most powerful pu.over a race distance they are still retiring due to engine issues ,still running detuned ,and still changing pu.they are already on their second one.and merc is still underpowered unless u are williams and produce very little downforce.
I understand your fan point of view. No team that has teh best engine on the grid, would go around beating their chest by saying they have the best engine. It's normal to pump up the competition by saying, they have the best engine. That's what Mercedes did when they had the best engine. The deep respect RB have shared with Honda last year, by keeping their logo, despite Honda pulling out, was the best a team could offer as a praise and respect. If you don't understand that, then you are not looking deep.
Last edited by mendis on 18 Mar 2023, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

mendis

Juzh wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 15:01
mendis wrote:
Bill wrote:
<mod edit> dont encourage him
Saw your comment just after hitting submit of my comment!
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 20 Mar 2023, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: as per edited quoted psot

Hoffman900

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 14:53
The best way to understand the usefulness of the PU is to do a calculation of the "Average" power output of the PU over the race distance. I suspect this is where Honda does the damage to the competition, based on what they said last season and the changes they made for this season.

I think the value of the Honda PU is being able to run higher ERS modes for longer than competitors. This gives an incredible advantage over a race distance as you have more energy to deploy in the race than the competition.
But only in the context of aerodynamic drag.

Granted, more power should equal more df at the expense of drag. That’s ultimately how F1 cars go faster.

Back of the napkin calculations from 2016 car numbers of drag and tire friction, it was near 730hp consumed at 195mph to put into context. Changing the CD by .01 was worth near 20hp.