2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

It is his best race ever imo

Car is very fast. AMR is clearly the 2nd force this season. there will be no constructors battle however

We often see Perez's best performances when max isn't having a directly comparable race, so there is such a caveat in this instance. However, very impressive ofc.

Juzh

organic wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:27
It is his best race ever imo

Car is very fast. AMR is clearly the 2nd force this season. there will be no constructors battle however

We often see Perez's best performances when max isn't having a directly comparable race, so there is such a caveat in this instance. However, very impressive ofc.
I'd say second stint was as comparable as it gets under the circumstances. Ok, Ver had to overtake some cars, but he did it clean and hard tyres are immortal here anyway.

Sieper

Indeed, that was how I knew after the early SC Max would not be able to catch him. The tires would hold on, Max can keep them alive longer but that would never play a role. Max did bring it down from like 5.7 to 4.3 after he cleared Russell and Alonso but Checo was genuinely fast there.

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:52
Sieper wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:47
Indeed, that was how I knew after the early SC Max would not be able to catch him. The tires would hold on, Max can keep them alive longer but that would never play a role. Max did bring it down from like 5.7 to 4.3 after he cleared Russell and Alonso but Checo was genuinely fast there.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone noticed it but Max said in the cool down room that he could have caught Checo. I'll leave you all with that. Whether he was lying or not is anyone's guess. :lol:
I think he said that to alonso, as in he'd catch him without SC.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:53
AR3-GP wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:52
Sieper wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:47

Also, I'm not sure if anyone noticed it but Max said in the cool down room that he could have caught Checo. I'll leave you all with that. Whether he was lying or not is anyone's guess. :lol:
I think he said that to alonso, as in he'd catch him without SC.
oh ok, I stand corrected then. I wasn't sure who he was referring to. I will edit my comment.

organic

His post-race interview he said he was disappointed to be 2nd, but it's still a good recovery. He said after he passed Alonso he was pushing to lower the gap. He brought it from over 5s to 4.3 but calculated he wasn't gaining to overtake by the end of the race

We saw up and down the field the 'better' driver getting outperformed today: sainz had equal pace to leclerc in the 2nd stint, sargeant had better pace than albon, Russell had better pace than Hamilton

This circuit seems to equalise out many of the factors that make drivers quick...

I think the high grip, low degradation is part of it.

In lower grip conditions and higher degradation circuits we will see normal service resume

Edax
Edax

DGP123 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:07
NutritionFact wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:02
Max devenitly knows that checo is The wdc rival. This could be interesting when both Driver try to get The Point.

It isn’t going to get interesting at all. Perez is bang average, and Max is going to walk to another title. Going to be painful, and tedious listening to pundits trying to make out Perez can challenge.

Max knows he’s won this already
On driver quality VES will win, no doubt. But when the car is so far ahead of the field, you can only win 8 points per race and lose 26. DNF’s start to play a disproportionate role.

Best thing for VES would be if the ferrari’s, Merc’s and AM get in the fight.

Sieper

Yep, that is how Lewis lost to Rosberg too. A painful engine blow and you have a problem. Max now already had to start from 15 once. It can happen again, or even in more painful moments.

chrisc90

Perez had a killer race. Never put a tyre wrong all race. Granted he lost the 1st corner to Alonso, it was never a worry. Checo did say he wasn’t worried about the start/1st corner after quali yesterday.
Perfect management throughout.

What is nice to see though, is even the AMR couldn’t get past checo when it had DRS. Perez was comfortably in front for a number of laps where fernando was within DRS range. RB really have designed a killer car that works so well when being chased and doing the chasing on the straights.

It’s going to be a great season for red bull. Putting DNF aside, if any, I fully expect both cars to be on the podium.

organic

I wouldn't rate Perez as highly as Rosberg, but absolutely. Max is very consistent so it shouldn't be an issue outside reliability on the team's side

Henk_v
Henk_v

vorticism wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 19:54
Henk_v wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 18:33
vorticism wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 17:18

There's something else acting upon the driveshaft?
The track

Hitting a curb at speed induces far more peak torque an angine ever can

Also a bad gearshift blocking the rears at speed genetates much more torque an engine ever can.
I'd have to think about that; hitting a kerb results mostly in wheel travel and tire deformation. You're saying it also translates to an unusual amount of braking/accel of the angular velocity of the wheel? As for downshift, the tire ultimately can only act against the engine via the transmission; the transmission doesn't provide the braking regardless of quality of the shift or what gear it's in.
Please do! Best draw it out and do some simple vector maths.

I'm not sure what you mean with the shift. Why downshift?

It was reported the rears would briefly lock up with shifting when RB had issues. At speed, with downforce, the engine torque is not able to slip the wheels, so a gearshift locking up the tires must induce a greater torque in the driveshaft than the engine can produce. Reducing the engine mode therefor is not limiting the peak loading of the driveshaft.

For sure the wheel and motor are linked through the gearbox, but we are likely talking about inertial energy causing these torque forces.

Dee
Dee

Juzh wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:23
Honestly, for once I'm amazed at Perez' race pace. I wasn't expecting him to be able to contain verstappen in the slightest. That's assuming both cars were indeed healthy, but for now I'm I'll give perez the credit. I'll go over both onboards in coming days to see how races unfolded for both. What we saw today was finally "the" Perez that was hired from racing point. I think this win ranks higher than all his previous ones, maybe even Sakhir 2020. This was the first time he was able to go head to head on pure race against Ver. Maybe Ver had a tenth on him at most.

As for car itself, I'd say 0.8-1s advantage over AM, 1s+ vs merc and rest. Obviously it's completely impossible to defend against DRSed RB on this track.
In ten laps from the SC, Max gained maybe 2.3 seconds on Perex, going from approx 7.4 to 5.1. Max then knew that in the last 14 laps, he would never catch Checo so he stayed at the pace he was and got his battery ready to go for the fastest lap. He resigned himself to it, saying "I did the maths and I was not going to catch anyway if I kept on pushing"

Max's pace advantage until he gave up was around 0.230 per lap which is what his gap to Riccardo was in 2018.

He is still faster but any unreliability will put him behind Checo just like it did in 2017 with Daniel. That's why he was so rattled after the race, imo.

The new tyres allow drivers to push for longer and not have to manage them so well. Checo talked about them recently.

I think the first race in Bahrain hid Checo's newfound pace. He got stuck behind Leclerc and imo, that was a gap he could never recover afterwards. Just like what the 15 place start did to Max today.

Big Tea

Henk_v wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 23:45
vorticism wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 19:54
Henk_v wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 18:33

The track

Hitting a curb at speed induces far more peak torque an angine ever can

Also a bad gearshift blocking the rears at speed genetates much more torque an engine ever can.
I'd have to think about that; hitting a kerb results mostly in wheel travel and tire deformation. You're saying it also translates to an unusual amount of braking/accel of the angular velocity of the wheel? As for downshift, the tire ultimately can only act against the engine via the transmission; the transmission doesn't provide the braking regardless of quality of the shift or what gear it's in.
Please do! Best draw it out and do some simple vector maths.

I'm not sure what you mean with the shift. Why downshift?

It was reported the rears would briefly lock up with shifting when RB had issues. At speed, with downforce, the engine torque is not able to slip the wheels, so a gearshift locking up the tires must induce a greater torque in the driveshaft than the engine can produce. Reducing the engine mode therefor is not limiting the peak loading of the driveshaft.

For sure the wheel and motor are linked through the gearbox, but we are likely talking about inertial energy causing these torque forces.
Even worse is hitting a curb which breaks contact with the track fractionally then reattaches while still powered.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Verstappen could not close gap
"I tried to close the gap but I picked up vibrations on the driveshaft on the rear. The team couldn't see anything, but I'm fairly sure there was something odd going on with the balance since the vibrations started to kick in," the Dutchman explained. "I did the calculations and I wouldn't have been able to close the gap with just ten laps left. I think it was more important to settle for second than having an issue with the car."

He also felt the same vibrations during qualifying. "But yesterday it just went. It snapped. Today it luckily didn't do that but it started to have a similar effect on the feeling and what I could hear," the two-time world champion added to his story.
Hmm, so Max says it was a similar feeling to yesterday.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/189727/v ... thing.html

chrisc90

Definitely interesting the comment made re. The additional torque on the driveshaft under regen braking. It’s common knowledge that the RB is able to harvest energy a LOT later than anyone else, so it’s fair to assume that it’s able to regen more in a shorter amount of time. That then means that there will be greater forces acting from the motor/regen braking mechanics which would in turn add more torque to the driveshaft that say under acceleration.
I’m sure there will be some people who know their maths and can somewhat reverse the length of clipping from the car to what is the maximum allowed recharge rate and convert that back into torque across the back axle.

This would also explain the persistent issue where RB have been working on the clipping and the rear locking up under braking.

Be interesting to hear from those with more knowledge on the MGU-K can link that towards the issues we have heard about and the stresses on gearboxes/drivetrain components.